Puppy Socialization Meet up?

Plan for Chow Chow gatherings in your city.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tsunami22
Rank 1
Rank 1

Puppy Socialization Meet up?

Post by Tsunami22 »

Hello hello to everyone!

I know I recently missed the SF chowfest but I figured i'd enlist internet help for some good puppy socialization!

As many of you might know, my Penelope is quite people shy. Head shy and on top of that generally fearful of people. I take her out and have her meet as many people as I can, but I admit in the past month I haven't been as good about it or strict about it as I should. When I first got her I took her to meet EVERYONE and have since slacked off just the tiniest bit. I made SOME advance with me personally: she allows me to pet her, grab at her head, scratch her back, and grab her collar. I've been lately debating how to get her comfortable handling with strangers.

Here's what I've come up with and where your help is needed:

I'm going to try and enlist as many people that I can that are strangers to Penelope to come play with her a little bit. It's harder with strangers and even family members to tell them exactly how I want them to act and attempting to enforce that. She's so cute people zero in on her with loud voices and aggressive hugs. I don't blame them but it doesn't help with shyness!

If anyone is in teh san francisco area already and would like to come an dplay with my 5 mo. old puppy, let me know and hopefully we can arrange something! And just so you're comfortable know this: she is shy but has yet to show any signs of aggression, so I'm pretty sure she won't maul you. If she does she's up to date on all of her shots, including rabies. We are in the midst of a long series of training classes so she isn't just some wild, mean chow that's NEVER been socialized. I just want to start doing it a little more intensely.

Here's what I'd like to happen: we meet, you shake my hand, I'll give you a handful of some treat. Maybe we can chit chat as she gets used to having you around, the treats will lure her eventually. And then with every bit she gets more comfortable with you: petting, approaching, kisses - she gets rewarded. At first it may be like pulling teeth. But I hope with enough people and enough repititions she'll get the message that people aren't all bad. If you have kids and want to bring them, go ahead, she has to get used to those rambunctious young ones anyways. If you have a dog too and you feel comfortable I welcome that as well, penelope so far has shown only happy and playful openness with other dogs, as long as they aren't too unhappy having to deal with a playful puppy. I would really love to get an assortment of people of all ages, sizes, colors, smells, and energy levels.

So! If anyone is interested or has any advice on things I should also try, I can be reached here or at my email sydneyt22@gmail.com. if we get further into the planning process I can provide my number later. Thanks again, and I'm also going to post this under meet-ups. See which is a better place for a meetup training session!

I'm aiming for sometime after the next couple of weeks (she's still recuperating). I'm avail. after 6ish on weekdays and anytime on weekends. i easily travel anywhere in san francisco, san mateo, daly city, half moon bay, and all surrounding areas.

Also, if anyone else is in the area and has a puppy they would like to receive this wonderful treatment of meeting so many new people go ahead and bring them along! We'll all help each other!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Puppy Socialization Meet up?

Post by Layla »

I wish I lived closer & could help. You are a great chow mum!
Thank you Elodie!