Chow fest in Canada

Plan for Chow Chow gatherings in your city.

Moderator: chowadmin

bubbybear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chow fest in Canada

Post by bubbybear »

I would like to learn more about a get together with other Chow owner's and their furkids. We will have a new pup the end of April if everything goes ok. I like about an hr north of Toronto in Orillia . Ontario Canada. Would be agood excuse to visit new places.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chow fest in Canada

Post by JasonandNat »

Hello. This is late but we're in Ottawa. Our Chows are from Port Perry. The breeder has an event every August where people come from all over with all kinds of wonderful Chows. It is a lot of fun. Give us a shout.
Lion_Dog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lion_Dog »

aww!! i'd love to get a chow get together. my friend has a shiba inu and they have a shiba meet one sunday of each month. she said i can go, but I HAVE A CHOW! my chow would feel odd and left out :p Anyone in this forum from Vancouver, Richmond, Burnaby, New Westminster, or Surrey BC???? if so, i'd love to have a chow meet!
Samson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Samson »

by JasonandNat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:01 pm

Hello. This is late but we're in Ottawa. Our Chows are from Port Perry. The breeder has an event every August where people come from all over with all kinds of wonderful Chows. It is a lot of fun. Give us a shout.

Hi, there's another chow breeder in that general vicinity who is nothing but a puppy mill.

I've visited the kennel in question and was disgusted at what I saw. In the home itself, 4 week old puppies were playing on urine soaked newspapers. Outside in the kennels there was more than one chow in each run, excrement was at least one foot high in each kennel (it was a February when I was checking the kennel out), at least one of the chows had an open sore on her side the size of a dinner plate, there was a child's play pool close to the kennels that was filled with green stagnant water and the chow with the sore on her side went into that filthy pool. The breeder literally SCREAMED at the poor chow to get back in her kennel and she kept screaming at her when the chow ignored her. I spoke up and said STOP SCREAMING AT HER, I'LL GET HER BACK IN HER KENNEL!!! So I softly called her over to me and her and I calmly walked back to her run.

There's a breeder in that area who does have chow family get togethers, but it's the same breeder I'm talking about. She must spend hours cleaning her kennels up before she has that get together because when I was there I was appalled at the conditions the chows lived in. Not only that but there was a pregnant chow about to whelp and the comment the breeder made to me was "I hope she has 12 puppies". Obviously she's in it for the $$$$ only.

Fast forward to last spring and I had one of my chows at the vet for a checkup. In the waiting room was a very small chow with her owner and a man beside the owner who I recognized as the husband of the breeder above (he didn't know me). The chow had an ear infection so bad that the infection was all over the outside of her ears. The man told me he was a chow breeder and the woman with the very sick chow was the chow's new owner (the dog was 2). I played dumb and asked him innocently "why are you here" He told me he was there to pay for the vet bill, which told me that the chow had been in his kennel, they had totally ignored that poor dog's ear infection until someone came along to buy the dog.

Merlin will know about "Phoenix", a chow who was dumped off in Ontario around Courtice. He was taken in by the Duram County Humane Society and after tests it was determined he had cancer on his tongue. The media and the Durham County Humane Society had calls out to the owner or anyone who knew who the owner was. I JUST KNOW that chow was dumped by the breeder because in Ontario vets must now report cases of abuse and neglect.

the breeder in Port Perry is a puppy mill and people should know this before they purchase a chow from them.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Interesting info, but since you don't provide any names, or concrete info your just fear mongering to people who may or may not know better. Is the breeder registered with CKC? Pups bred from champion chows? What exactly are you saying? I know everyone here is interested if you have useful information.
Samson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Samson »

Interesting info, but since you don't provide any names, or concrete info your just fear mongering to people who may or may not know better. Is the breeder registered with CKC? Pups bred from champion chows? What exactly are you saying? I know everyone here is interested if you have useful information.

Just because a breeder is CKC registered and/or has pups bred from champion chows, does not mean the breeder isn't operating a mill. Judges at shows don't judge the chows at the kennel owner's property.

There was a chow chow breeder near Innisfil and her kennel was spotless, her dogs were happy and obviously well taken care of. Not sure if she still breeds or not, but the contrast between the two kennels was night and day.

There are few chow chow breeders in Ontario (compared to the US). Everyone who adores the chow chow knows which breeder I'm talking about, even the other breeders have acknowledged that the port perry one operates a disgusting kennel. I remember one of the female chows was older and she looked so worn out when I saw her, she just turned her head away in resignation. Very sad.

If you want to check out a breeder, do a spot check, nevermind calling a week in advance.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

All very good info in general. However you still haven't backed up your claim. So you appear to be making judgements without bringing value to the forum. If your going to tarnish someone you should be clear on whom that is for all concerned. I for one ways wish to know problem places and have them Investigated. However nothing you have provided proves 'puppy mill', perhaps the term is incorrect here.
Samson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Samson »

JasonandNat wrote:All very good info in general. However you still haven't backed up your claim. So you appear to be making judgements without bringing value to the forum. If your going to tarnish someone you should be clear on whom that is for all concerned. I for one ways wish to know problem places and have them Investigated. However nothing you have provided proves 'puppy mill', perhaps the term is incorrect here.
That's fine, I will continue to make judgements where chows and their welfare are concerned. Since I haven't posted the name of the individual in question, I've not "tarnished" anyone. Furthermore, I am well aware of the difference between a good breeder and one who's in it just for the money, the latter being nothing but a puppy mill, so yes, the term I've used is in fact correct.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Well ok then. No useful information from you. Got it. On with the show.
Samson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Samson »

JasonandNat wrote:Well ok then. No useful information from you. Got it. On with the show.
why have you been and continue to be so incredibly rude? if you lived in Ontario you'd know exactly who I've been talking about, obviously you don't live in Ontario so why do you care other than to post nothing but insults to me? I'm sure where you live there are plenty of chow "breeders" you could spend your time investigating instead of posting your insults to me.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Rude?! Because you make claims without proof? After high-jacking a thread? You didn't start your own thread for a reason. All you have to do is be specific, you started down this path so come on let's have everything.

Oh yeah and for full disclosure we're in Ottawa, so your right, again...
Samson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Samson »

JasonandNat wrote:Rude?! Because you make claims without proof? After high-jacking a thread? You didn't start your own thread for a reason. All you have to do is be specific, you started down this path so come on let's have everything.

Oh yeah and for full disclosure we're in Ottawa, so your right, again...
"claims without proof"?

where's YOUR proof that you're in Ottawa?????

"high-jacking a thread"?

That would be you who has done that posting nothing but insults to me in this thread. Clearly you feel threatened by the information I've posted, could it be you're also a "breeder" who is in reality running a mill? Just a thought.

Just so you know, I don't HAVE to do anything you say. Why you would continue to insult a new poster as you have done while adding absolutely zero to the thread itself is beyond me, but in my view that's something you should really look into for your own health and wellbeing.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

This section is for Chowfests. If you want to argue the merits of a certain breeder, try the PM system.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Hi Jason
If you're in Ottawa, how come you've never come to an Ottawa Chow / Pei meetup?

We recently had one on June 6th and we have another one coming up on August 29th
http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15769

It would be nice to meet you.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Jo Edwards
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jo Edwards »

Samson wrote:Re: Chow fest in Canada
by JasonandNat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:01 pm

Hi, there's another chow breeder in that general vicinity who is nothing but a puppy mill.

I've visited the kennel in question and was disgusted at what I saw. In the home itself, 4 week old puppies were playing on urine soaked newspapers. Outside in the kennels there was more than one chow in each run, excrement was at least one foot high in each kennel (it was a February when I was checking the kennel out), at least one of the chows had an open sore on her side the size of a dinner plate, there was a child's play pool close to the kennels that was filled with green stagnant water and the chow with the sore on her side went into that filthy pool. The breeder literally SCREAMED at the poor chow to get back in her kennel and she kept screaming at her when the chow ignored her. I spoke up and said STOP SCREAMING AT HER, I'LL GET HER BACK IN HER KENNEL!!! So I softly called her over to me and her and I calmly walked back to her run.

There's a breeder in that area who does have chow family get togethers, but it's the same breeder I'm talking about. She must spend hours cleaning her kennels up before she has that get together because when I was there I was appalled at the conditions the chows lived in. Not only that but there was a pregnant chow about to whelp and the comment the breeder made to me was "I hope she has 12 puppies". Obviously she's in it for the $$$$ only.

Fast forward to last spring and I had one of my chows at the vet for a checkup. In the waiting room was a very small chow with her owner and a man beside the owner who I recognized as the husband of the breeder above (he didn't know me). The chow had an ear infection so bad that the infection was all over the outside of her ears. The man told me he was a chow breeder and the woman with the very sick chow was the chow's new owner (the dog was 2). I played dumb and asked him innocently "why are you here" He told me he was there to pay for the vet bill, which told me that the chow had been in his kennel, they had totally ignored that poor dog's ear infection until someone came along to buy the dog.

Merlin will know about "Phoenix", a chow who was dumped off in Ontario around Courtice. He was taken in by the Duram County Humane Society and after tests it was determined he had cancer on his tongue. The media and the Durham County Humane Society had calls out to the owner or anyone who knew who the owner was. I JUST KNOW that chow was dumped by the breeder because in Ontario vets must now report cases of abuse and neglect.

the breeder in Port Perry is a puppy mill and people should know this before they purchase a chow from them.
HI Samson.....I just read your post on ChowChow.org........I know of the breeder in Port Perry and I believe you are correct in your thinking......we visited that kennel in 2010 while we were looking for a good breeder in Ontario....my question to you , Is there anyway these people can be shut down.......if a complaint is made to the OSPCA will it be taken seriously.......these people were reputable breeders in past years and have bred champions but the conditions now are truly disgusting!