MIDWEST CHOW FEST JUNE 20-22 2008

Plan for Chow Chow gatherings in your city.

Moderator: chowadmin

Auddymay

Re: MIDWEST CHOW FEST JUNE 20-22 2008

Post by Auddymay »

I took a looky at the map- it looks like you hook up to I-57 N and take that to 80 E, I-94-E. Once you get on US31 N you literally only make a left turn onto the park road, and a left a few miles down and walla- you are there! I mapquest everything as well. Having gone through Chi-town (if you don't hyphenate, you get Chitown), I fully understand your reticence! You will only be skirting it's traffic a little at the I-80 portion of your trip. Everything else is rural and straight forward. There are several dog-friendly motels in the area, and as soon as you out of towners know if you can make it, post your hotel. Having others at the hotel from Chowfest is a blast, right Chris and Terrina?
Tai's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tai's Mom »

Thanks for taking a look for me Auddymay. When you live in the boondocks, city driving can be rough. It will be nice to be able to come and meet everyone and their fur kids.
Cy & Tai
All this and you wanted a Shih Tzu too?
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Auddymay,

Have you ladies set a time yet for Saturday? I need it for my email to our adopters.

Thanks Larry
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

No time set up- I planned on like 9 or 10 in the am, getting to the park and staking a claim at the picnic area. I have not checked out their grills, they have some nice looking (at a distance) built in stone grills. (Chimneys can be seen in my photos.)I will also be bringing baked beans and cold salads. If the grills are in good shape, we will have a nice little barbeque.

I hope all our west Michigan Chows make it. We have several new adoptions this year, and new members that joined from this area. It is a real honor to meet the Chows and their peeps that we meet at the site!
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Grills are in very good condition I stopped in the other day for lunch. We will be able to cook lots of Chow treats and a few human burgers and brats ;-) I will put down 10:00 am on our invitations, is that ok? I also hope to post flyers at local pet stores.

Larry
chris

Post by chris »

If we leave on Saturday, we will be there around lunch timeish.... otherwise we would have to leave around 6am to get there by 10ish.
Tai's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tai's Mom »

So it's a 4 hour drive for you Chris? That probably makes it about an 8 hour drive for me then. Hummmmm
Cy & Tai
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

It's 90 miles from Michigan City, IN, 90 miles from South Bend IN, and 320 miles from Springfield, IL.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

1,975 miles from LA, 2,343 miles from Seattle Washington, 3,741 from Fairbanks Alaska, 8,251 from Australlia, 9,962 from Cape town Africa, in case anyone wants to make a surprise visit.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

noonish it is \:D/
Tai's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tai's Mom »

Auddymay wrote:It's 90 miles from Michigan City, IN, 90 miles from South Bend IN, and 320 miles from Springfield, IL.
LOL Thanks Auddy. I figured about a 7 to 8 hour trip depending on how fast I drive.
Cy & Tai
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Thanks for the distances on some further members, Jeff! I would be THRILLED if we got surprise guests from any of the locations mentioned!
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Renae are definately planning on coming to Chowfest with Fiona. We will be there around noonish...it's going to be a very early morning. I invited my mom to come also, but I don't know if she will. We are going to stay Saturday night but not sure if we will make it to the beach Sunday...going to depend on work Monday. Fiona is already excited...she loves to meet other dogs (I haven't mentioned there will be people there :D )
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

Tai's Mom wrote:So it's a 4 hour drive for you Chris? That probably makes it about an 8 hour drive for me then. Hummmmm

The last time I made the drive (from Shelbyville) it took us 6 1/2 hours to get to the Kalamazoo area, that was going around Chicago which is the quickest way. Keep in mind Michigan is always a hour ahead of us too. That kind of sucks going there but always makes it feel like you made excellent time coming home. :)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

All I know is, Illinois is a long, long state, driving north to south. Every time I drive to Florida, Illinois seems to go on forever.
Tai's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tai's Mom »

Auddymay wrote:All I know is, Illinois is a long, long state, driving north to south. Every time I drive to Florida, Illinois seems to go on forever.
Yeah, but east to west isn't too bad. :)
Cy & Tai
Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Babs64 »

Hi,

Is it to late to join the party? Sophie and I are thinking about coming. I am still debating about bringing Ty. He was a bit of a barker at the hotel at last year's spring mid-west chowfest. I was thinking about coming in Friday night and staying until Sunday. Can someone send me the address for the dog park? Thanks,

Babs and Sophie
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

It will be nice to so you again we are so looking forward to CF this year \:D/ I think the Chow friendly hotels are listed in this topic if not we can send you a list.

Larry and Terrina
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Park Address:

Ottawa County Dog Park
1286 Ottawa Beach Rd.
Holland, MI 49424
42.793441, -86.161502 (GPS)

Located on the Ottawa County Fair Grounds property, this recent addition to Holland has sections for large and small dogs. During the summer months running water is available for the dogs.
Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Babs64 »

Larry, thanks for posting the address. I was looking at the Holland, MI website. They have a pet-friendly page. Very cool--http://holland.org/sections/67-pet-friendly.

Now I just have to decide where we are going to stay.

Babs and Sophie
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Hope everyone stays at the same place it is lot more fun that way ;-
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Oh, I am so envious. Depending on Miss Sullivan, we most likely will not be able to attend. Though if we can't come, it will mean she is hanging in, so ...

I'm hoping you all have a wonderful time -- I'll be looking for pictures. I saw Zoey on your site, Larry & Terinna. What a beauty. Hope the nose is OK.
courtsey of Sweetpea
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I was at the park yesterday. Those grills are in great shape! The tables are all new looking and clean as well. We should have a great time.

As you make reservations and plans, post here or PM, it really is fun to stay at the same hotel. Also, anyone coming in on friday night, we can arrange a meet and greet...a Chow mixer, if you will....

Deb, I wish you could bring the gang as well. I would love meeting you all! I remember you were so worried when Sullivan was diagnosed. You didn't know if she would be around for the Ohio Chowfest last Fall. She has done so well! You will be there in spirit, but it is not the same...sigh.
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Thanks. We have been lucky to have this time with Sullivan it's been almost 11 months from a 1 year maximum prognosis. She is faltering, so it's getting to be time to make serious decisions. I just talked to a friend who just put her 16 year old lab down, so of course it got me thinking.

Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful time. We will be with you in spirit and hope you take lots of pictures.
courtsey of Sweetpea