MIDWEST CHOW FEST JUNE 20-22 2008

Plan for Chow Chow gatherings in your city.

Moderator: chowadmin

Auddymay

Re: MIDWEST CHOW FEST JUNE 20-22 2008

Post by Auddymay »

It will be nice to see Cheyanne again. She is such a pretty Chow. Will you also be bringing your newest furkid? (I am not remembering their name at the moment) Sounds like we will eat like (grill) kings on saturday!
Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Babs64 »

Hi Auddymay, Ty is not coming with us this time. He is such a barker that I was afraid he'd get us kicked out of the hotel. :lol:

I am seriously thinking about coming to the beach tonight. Sophie would love it and so would I. Storms are heading toward Chicago this afternoon, so we are going to be happy to be leaving. The humidity is getting nasty here.

If anyone needs to reach me, my cell phone number is 630-247-4199.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Auddymay, I may have to take you up on the lead offer. I'm checking around here to see if I can find one for Holden tonight. I'll bring Hannah's flexi-lead which is 15 feet. She may or may not stay near us, just depends on who all she thinks she needs to visit! She is our social butterfly.
ImageImageImage
Debs chow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Debs chow »

We wish we could bring Trixie but she is having some issues with being nice to others right now so until we can work through those she has to stay home.
The only reason her and Cheyenne get along is that Cheyenne could care less if she was even there. so as much as she trys to start stuff Cheyenne just
blows her off. its kinda funny really.

Al
Al&Deb
Cheyenne
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Good Morning Everyone,

Everyone to tired for the beach run today?

OMG it was nice to visit with everyone yesterday. Wonderful people, Chows and good food, now that is a nice day. Hope you that took pictures can post a few today ;-)

Larry
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I got my photos put in my computer file, and had the best of intentions to put them up on the site last night, but for some odd reason, I was tired! I am adding some teasers before our trip to the beach today.

I had a great time, and my hat is off to our grill master, Larry! We had the best picnic buffet that I've had in a coon's age! The weather toyed with us- those pop-up showers the weatherman warned us about showed their ugly face at the beginning of the festivities. I was afraid they would dwell, but within an hour, they departed and the sun was out. The rain actually served a good purpose, it kept all the other dog folks away. We had the entire dog park, for awhile anyway.

Hannah decided she wanted to be Lily's BFF...Lily wanted no part of it. Hannah would not take no for an answer. She became Lily's shadow, only one that wanted to play! It was the funniest thing to watch Lily hide from Hannah. Holden was more to Lily's liking, but he was busy defending his little sister. Everytime Holden heard Hannah and another Chow make too much noise, he was right there to make sure his sissy was not being hurt.

The Harris's had 6 furkids there. I wanted to take them all home, and was even telling Simba which vehicle he should get into...promises of treats and no Ai Shu, but I got caught! Simba and Ai Shu don't like each other, so my offer to relieve them of one or the other should have been welcome, n'est pas?

Many more wonderful stories, but no time- we have a beach date to go to with Barb, Terrina and Larry, and our furkids, of course!
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I tried several times to post some pics after I got home (at 11:30!) but the sizing was wrong and I finally gave up. So here's another try... We had a GREAT time!

Holden actually LIKED going into the water (I was surprised - I thought he'd snub it)

Hannah loved the water:

But then decided she didn't want to be so wet so she rolled in the sand:

Pip was happy to go for a swim

But then was too tired and came over to me for some lovings

Sophie had a good time in the water, too then was a sunbathing beauty afterwards

Lily was just happy to be on the beach but was not so happy when Hannah would come by!

We were quite a site with all of that Chowy goodness

And Holden says: "What a view!"

ImageImageImage
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

And here are a few from the dog park:

Holden and Hannah

Kali

Hannah and Simba

Sophie and Cheyenne (not sure about the black Chow if that's Pip or someone else)

Hannah and Lily
Hannah and her BFF :lol:

Holden and Lily

Hannah, Pip, and Lily

Hannah and Teddy (not sure who Larry is petting if that's Brandon or Pip)

Hannah and Ai Shu
Hey, what are you doing under there??

Sophie and Teddy
Just chillin'
Last edited by Chow Chow Mama on Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Looks wonderful. Glad you guys had a good time. I was thinking about you.
courtsey of Sweetpea
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Oh what fun. We need more pictures. And more with names, I don't know who is who!!!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I am working on a montage, should be ready by the end of the day. We had 3 days of activities. Barb (Babs 64) got in to town friday night. We arranged to meet at Kruse Park for a beach romp at sunset. Sophie was much more subdued than her mum thought she would be! But, she did take treats, and was a perfect little lady. She was even more prettier than she was last year, but as her mum pointed out, she was only with her 4 months when I first met Sophie, and a year of loving tenderness was apparent this year.

The second day, our main day of activity was at the dog park. I mentioned my company picnic was in the same place, and was surprised at the number of people that were there! Fortunately, they did not impede our activities, and the threatening rain was actually helpful to our privacy. We had in attendence the Harris's, their son and his family, plus Ai Shu, Teddy, Simba, Brandon, Kali, and Zoey. Barb was there with Sophie, and Al and Deb brought Cheyenne. I have to apologize to ChowChow mama about not knowing her name. I always get her and Chow Fancier confused in my head. I called her Jerilyn all weekend, and she was polite and didn't correct me...do I get any points for remembering your nice husband's name is Ryan? Anyway, they had the beautiful Holden (he really was beautiful) and the lively, playful Hannah. Of course, there was also my furkids Lily and Pip, plus Haley and me. Later, the Harris's took their furkids home, and the rest of us went to Pier Cove Beach. After 2 mis-steps, we managed to find the beach. Holden and Hannah both were sports about the water. Hannah was so funny, she would go in and get wet, then gator roll in the sugary sand! She would then rinse, and repeat!

Holden is just like Lily, he just wades in at a certain depth and stands. All the Chows, regardless of water experience, were at first put off by the waves. Water is not supposed to chase you! Hannah overcame her reticence quickest, probably owing to her youthful exhuberance.

Day 3 was our only bad weather day. Just as we hit the Beach, it began to rain.
Larry and Terrina brought Teddy, Ai Shu, and Tobias, and there was also my party and Barb with Sophie. Even with the rain, we had a good time. Lou, if you are reading this, we managed to keep Lily from doing a Houdini escape, but there was one escapee- Tobias.
I was taking a photo of Lily, when Tobias runs into my view. I snapped the photo, looked up, and saw Larry calling urgently (but as calmly as possible) to Tobias! We played 'monkey in the middle' and when Larry was busy keeping Tobias's attention, I grabbed him. Oddly, Tobias escaped the exact same way as Lily did last year- the leash was mistakenly hooked to the liscence loop which is just a flimsy wire. In the end, all was well.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

love the pics. So glad everyone had fun! Is that Kali in one of the pics..laying down??
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Yes! Kali is the one laying nicely next to a tree. Blue and purple leads can be seen. She and Zoey hung together at the end of the picnic area, watching the festivities. Both girls were good for being loved, and Zoey looked like she was related to my Pip. It was funny, we even ran into a rescue family that didn't realize CF was that weekend, and just happened to have their rescue, Dagget, there.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I edited my pictures to put who was who. And Auddymay, I never heard you call me Jerilyn or I would have corrected you 8)

I love your picture of Hannah rolling around in the sand. Much better than the ones I got of her doing that. I started cleaning my car out today - it is a nightmare! But well worth it. Hannah was still pooped yesterday after all that fun :lol:
Last edited by Chow Chow Mama on Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Looks like soooo much fun. Thanks for posting the pics.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Awwwww I am so glad Kali got to go! That had to be the best and maybe first fun trip of her poor little life! Yeaaaaaaa Larry and Terrina! She's a sweetie!
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

The pictures and stories are wonderful. Maybe next year?

Debbie
courtsey of Sweetpea
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

\:D/ =D= \:D/ =D= What a wonderful time all of you must have had! Especially, Tobias with his few minutes of being off leash :D Love the pictures - looks like everyone and every Chow had a great time.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

Looks like it was a great weekend. I was sooooooo happy to see that Kali got to go. Funny i never got to meet her but she will always be a part of the chowkidz in PA.
The chowkidz
Nanook & Keyko...and in loving memory of our little princess, Jade
ImageImageImage
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Looks like such a wonderful time!!! Awesome pics.
----
Lily my sweet, Special Dark here, you look lovely as ever. I sure am glad you didn't give anyone a scare this year. I'm sure Tobias was just trying to run towards your cuteness and not really escape. Glad you all had such a great time!
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Chow Chow Mama are you finding sand piles all over the place from Miss Hannah rolling in it. Adorable pictures, Thanks for posting Auddymay!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

TJordan wrote:Chow Chow Mama are you finding sand piles all over the place from Miss Hannah rolling in it. Adorable pictures, Thanks for posting Auddymay!
YES! She was still leaving sand deposits on the floor whenever she sat down on Sunday :lol:

I told DH to give her a bath, but you know how that goes :roll: She had a fantabulous time. We will have to see if there is any kind of dog friendly beach nearby. Otherwise we might have to go to Michigan twice a year or so. I can't imagine not letting both of the kids go back to the beach ever again.
ImageImageImage
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

great pictures,thank you for posting.it looks like you all had a lot of fun.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I have my eye on a couple parcels of land on L. Michigan totalling 10 acres...all I need to do is win a big game lottery. And soon. \:D/ I know I post tons of beach photos, but the dog friendliness of our beach cannot be under-stated. Pier Cove Beach was nice, but Kruse Park had it beat hands down. Still, as a lake experience goes, PC Beach was fine. It is why I camp 4 miles from home...lol.
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Looks like you all had a wonderful time, chows and humans. I love the pictures and anxiously await more.

Chow Chow Mama wrote:And Auddymay, I never heard you call me Jerilyn (it's Janell again) or I would have corrected you
Well, gee is it the similar names or the Hoosier accent I type with that confuses you, Auddymay? I was born across the IL/IN border in Michigan City and my parents hailed from Kokomo.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868