MIDWEST CHOW FEST JUNE 20-22 2008

Plan for Chow Chow gatherings in your city.

Moderator: chowadmin

chris

MIDWEST CHOW FEST JUNE 20-22 2008

Post by chris »

LETS GET THIS PARTY STARTED!

PLACE: HOLLAND MI (anyone willing to host, please advise otherwise, Auddy..you know the parks to visit. plus hotels or camp grounds)
Dog friendly hotels regardless of size
Best Western Holland Inn & Suites -2888 W Shore Dr.Holland
Residence Inn by Marriott -631 Southpoint Ridge Road Holland

Camping
Oak Grove Resort -2011 Ottawa Beach Road Holland

DATE: 20 - 22 JUNE ( party will probably be on SATURDAY JUNE 21)

RSVP: in this post please.

HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!
chris

Re: MIDWEST CHOW FEST JUNE 20-22

Post by chris »

Hey Auddy... is this where you take the girls to the beach? Maybe we can do a day at the beach chow fest?

Pier Cove Beach -Lakeshore Drive Saugatuck
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: MIDWEST CHOW FEST JUNE 20-22 2008

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Holden, Hannah, hubby, and I will come :D
ImageImageImage
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

The Lake Michigan beach we go to in the summer is called Krause Park, formerly known as Bronson Park, and is what I still call it, because it was Bronson Park for forever. It is the only dog beach along Lake Michigan that I am aware of. If you want to check it out, it will require a small side trip of about 30 miles from Holland. Great at sunset for the chowkids, and the scenery. I hope all our Michigan and surrounding state chow owners can come! I went there last night and took some photos. If camping, I will say the state park is just up the road, and the campsite right at the dog park has the feel of camping in someone's backyard!

Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Can not wait!!! It will be so nice to see every one, that time of year it will be very beautiful around here. So much do and see while you are here in addition to the Chows and owners. Lake Michigan is just down the road, Saugatuck and Grand Haven cute little towns with lots of shopping and two dog boutiques. After the Holland dog park heading off to the lake will be awesome. You will miss the Dutch Tulip Festival, all the dances and flowers but on the good side better prices and fewer people.

Terrina and I will have at least four of the kids there and maybe more if we can get them all in the truck \:D/ I will make up some flyers and post in the pet stores around the Lakeshore.

Larry
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Fiona and I would love to come, but we may have to look at our finances for an overnight stay first. Tess won't be making such a long trip, the two hours last fall was a stretch for her in the car, this would just be to far to take her, and staying overnight somewhere without my dad would be the death of both of them. Fiona loves to travel and go for car rides, so we might look into this. I'm sure she would love to see Larry and Terrina (and Ai Shu of course) and I would love for you both to see her new, full coat.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Oh, it would be nice to see you all again. Pictures are nice but in person is so much better.

Larry
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

It will be great if you can make it, Amanda! Grab another Ohioan to share the drive and expense of it, it would make for a memorable ride! I would love seeing Fiona in person, she is gorgeous in photos, I am sure she is just stunning in person. I am taking tons of photos this year, I was having so much fun last year, I got barely any!
max5105
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by max5105 »

I think I might be able to make it. If so, it would be great. Only a couple of hours away!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

You are in the Detroit area, aren't you? It's a straight shot to Grand Rapids on I-96, and another short jump on I-196, and you are basically there! Hope you can make it, I want to see what Misui looks like!
chris

Post by chris »

We need to make an agenda Auddy....

Should we do the park and the beach in 1 day or should we do one .. one day and one the next? Most of us won't be more than a few hours away.... what does everyone think?
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Should we do the park and the beach in 1 day or should we do one .. one day and one the next? Most of us won't be more than a few hours away.... what does everyone think?
Terrina and I are in for dog park one day and beach on the second! I am sending out an email to all of our adopters in the hope many of them can come and share the day with us.

Agenda:??? Just a few thoughts,

DATE: 20 - 22 JUNE ( party will probably be on SATURDAY JUNE 21)

Times TBD

21 June Meet at Holland Dog Park
Chows gone wild meet and greet
Pot luck lunch (Terrina and I will bring burgers and brats)
Continue Chows Gone Wild
Chows and non fur kids at the local ice cream parlor for frosty treats
Take the Chows home / hotel for a well deserved rest
(We have a fenced yard with a small barn to shelter Chow Kids
for those that would like to have a Chow sitting service)
Meet at a local restaurant for dinner, Red Robin?
Party girls paint the town red ;-)

22 June Meet at the Chow Freindly Lakeside Park
(early? so those that travel can get a head start on the trip home)
Brunch? BYB not booze :shock: but breakfast :roll:
All the new and old Chow friends depart until the next Chow Fest.
chris

Post by chris »

We nominate Larry for President! :-) I think that is a perfect agenda!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I'm still looking for that Holland beach you mentioned as being dog friendly. It would save you guys the drive to Muskegon Kruse Park. Kruse Park is a nice place though. Off leash is allowed for the trustworthy canines, and long leads for mobility works for the runners. It is every bit as nice and clean as the human only areas.
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

The only other one I can find so far is:

Pier Cove Beach
Lakeshore Drive
Saugatuck,
Michigan 49453
269-857-1701

There is an awesome dog boutique near by \:D/ I will keep looking.

Larry
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

That's the one Chris mentioned. I am trying to figure out if it is open to the public. Another nice day today. Time permitting, maybe we'll try and find it.
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

We have two of our adoption families coming so far \:D/ Miss Marple now Trina ands Duster now Dex. Hope to have more able to share in the day /'s with us.

Larry
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

Chowfest sounds like so much fun. I've not really been on the board lately but Amanda mentioned this and I thought it sounded like fun. We had a great time last fall.

So, I might come over with Amanda and Fiona, just wondering if anyone has any extra Chows laying around they'd like to lend me for the weekend. :wink:
~Renae
<br>

Banner thanks to Wildthings. Sizing thanks to Sweetpea.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

LOL...you're kidding about the loaner Chow availability, right? TLC Chow Rescue will be representing in full force. Hey, if they still have Zoey (not likely, but it could happen) you could be her fairy Chow mom for the day...probably will have to wrastle her away from Terrina though.

My company picnic is being held that same date in another part of the park! Brian, a co-worker, says I should pop over because the company really goes all out for the picnic. I laughed and said I would pop in with all my party in tow! Now that would make a lasting impression on management!
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

Auddymay wrote:LOL...you're kidding about the loaner Chow availability, right? TLC Chow Rescue will be representing in full force. Hey, if they still have Zoey (not likely, but it could happen) you could be her fairy Chow mom for the day...probably will have to wrastle her away from Terrina though.
I figured TLC might be willing to rent one out for a bit :D
~Renae
<br>

Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Oh wait until you meet Zoey she is so CUTE! You are going to want to take her home, did we mention you are pre-approved :lol: She has a skin problem on her nose we are trying to figure out so she will be here for a while sa until late June.

Larry
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

Larry Harris wrote:Oh wait until you meet Zoey she is so CUTE! You are going to want to take her home, did we mention you are pre-approved :lol: She has a skin problem on her nose we are trying to figure out so she will be here for a while sa until late June.

Larry
Of course I will want to take her home. I want to take all of them home. But I'm still renting and still pushing the rental limits with two cats and a big aquarium. It'll probably be a couple of years before I can actually bring a Chow home. Glad to know I'm pre-approved, though :D
After I buy a house, I'm sure TLC can help me make sure it has a Chowish occupant.
~Renae
<br>

Tai's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tai's Mom »

Tai and I are also going to try to come. I know we're the new ones on the board, but would still like to try to come if we can. I have to try to clear some things at work and I'm also not much of a long distance driver, so I need to Mapquest the trip, but we just wanted you to know that we're interested in coming to the chowfest if it's alright with everyone. Tai did say tho, that if we came, he wanted to leave the little dust mop at home. :twisted:
Cy & Tai
All this and you wanted a Shih Tzu too?
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

You are more than welcome, and your little dog too! We have a couple lap dogs/chows in training that came last year. As long as they act Chowcool, not a problem...lol. Where are you coming from?
Tai's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tai's Mom »

Auddymay wrote:You are more than welcome, and your little dog too! We have a couple lap dogs/chows in training that came last year. As long as they act Chowcool, not a problem...lol. Where are you coming from?
I'll be coming from south central illinois. Again, I have to try to clear things at work and see if I can take a couple of vacation days so I won't feel so time pressured. Plus I need to Mapquest the trip. I'm not a great long distance driver. I can do it, but if I have to drive through Chicago on the toll roads, I'll freak. I do emergency dispatch for Chicago and some of the suburbs and I don't want to have to drive through there. I know how they drive up there. =; So I'll see what options Mapquest gives me. But Tai and I would sure like to come. Tai is training our shih-tzu puppy, Gizmo to act like a chow. He thinks he's as big and bad as his big brother Tai.
Cy & Tai
All this and you wanted a Shih Tzu too?