Mom Gets Mad At Dad Shelter Dog Goes Home..My Story

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

fings1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Mom Gets Mad At Dad Shelter Dog Goes Home..My Story

Post by fings1 »

My adoption story (I'm a chow/retriever) and a book my dad and I wrote for mom for x-mas 2006:

OF ALL THE GIN JOINTS IN ALL THE WORLD SHE WALKS INTO MINE.....

We met back in the early 90’s, December of ‘92 to be exact. I just had a major blowout with my first, somewhat dysfunctional family and decided that it was best for all if I just left. My foster dad gave me a ride to nowhere that ended up at a boarding house in Albany, NY. The place was great, warm with plenty of company, and their cheesy poof biscuits were to die for. On the downside, it was loud and smelly, not unlike me.

Even a lowly pug could smell her coming from miles away. It was Monday, as I recall, and the bells on the door jingled to announce her arrival. She was a beautiful blonde with a quick smile and a big heart. We’d seen this type before; they usually left with one of the pure bred puppies, but something was different about this one. My instincts told me that any canine would be darn lucky to go home with a dame like her, so I made it my top priority to be that hound.

She wandered back to where we lived. Frankly, I was a bit embarrassed about the condition of the place. Some of my cage mates were not very clean and some even took to pooping where they ate. My next cage neighbor’s lack of etiquette was particularly noteworthy as he took to eating kitty snickers (that’s slang for cat poo in the big house) openly. Sure they taste good, but you’re not getting adopted if you’re seen eating one.

As she came closer to my humble accommodations, I tried everything I could to grab her attention. When she finally got to me I made direct eye contact with her, angled my head at a 45 degree tilt and gave her my trademark BoPaw’ reach. As a bonus, my head as a pup was fully-grown, although my body wasn’t. While it would have been abnormal on any other dog, my oversized cranium actually made me cuter.

With the paw in the air and the bobble head turned just so, I stared into her eyes. I could see instantly she wanted me. Needed me. Had to have me. Hey who wouldn’t?

With her finely manicured nails, she reached out and petted me. She was clearly enjoying our encounter. How easy these humans are to manipulate, I thought. Her hands were refreshingly cool and her smell put me in a state of delight. I was in love. I could tell she loved me too.

After a few gushing, “He’s so cute!” comments, she took her hand out of my cage, gave me one last look and proceeded to move on to Pumpkin’s cage.

What?? Move on?! Hey, we just made a connection. You can’t move on. But that’s exactly what she did.

Realizing I was still sitting there with a half-cocked head and a paw in the air, I felt my muzzle glow red hot under my furry face as the other dogs chuckled with delight. After a few minutes I got my bearings back, but by then she had moved through the room, out the door and out of my life.

My hope for a better life was gone as ...

(it's kind of long so the rest, if interested, can be read at http://www.boknowsonline.com under Categories: My Life...nothing for sale just some doggie news so hope it's okay)
Zhuyos mom

Re: Mom Gets Mad At Dad Shelter Dog Goes Home..My Story

Post by Zhuyos mom »

What a great story! I think you should submit it to Judy here. She's compiling stories for the chow book. Your story fits right into her theme.

I had a bit of a time finding the continuation to your story. So here is the full link for others:

http://boknowsonline.com/2007/09/08/of- ... into-mine/

Welcome to the site!
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

thanks for the direct link lou.
what an awesome website. great stories, bo. you are quite the clever chowmix.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
fings1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fings1 »

Thank you for the nice comments. When dad and I told mom we wrote her a book for x-mas her first comment was, "Is there anything else under the tree?" , but when she read it she loved it so much she found me a literary agent. Finally, a canine with an agent! I am currently under contract with my very own doggie agent and working on getting it published, then everyone will know how adorable and smart the chow (or special chow/retriever mix in my case) breed is.
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

=D= =D= =D= That was a great story. welcome to the site.
The chowkidz
Nanook & Keyko...and in loving memory of our little princess, Jade
ImageImageImage
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I really enjoyed your story and very happy for you!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Nice imagery...you sound like a wonderful fella!