Lakota: Nashville, TN - Female Chow no longer in need!

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

She is so pretty. You are great for taking her in and loving her.

Thank you so much sweetpea you are wonderful!!!
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Not so great, we are still looking for a forever home for her. As soon as I can get her groomed, she will still be fostered by Stachia, who frankly thinks I am using the "too dirty" excuse as a reason to hog her. I would love to have her, but just cannot afford two chows.

Anyone with a good pair of shears and experience using them in the Nashville area will probably keep us out of the poor house, dont be shy.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Sandy,

I'll pay for her spa. E-mail me where you plan to take her and I'll call them and give them my card number. Miss PB say's such a pretty chow girl should be pampered at the spa!
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Lou, you just made me burst into tears. Thank you.

Commando Rescue Assistant, Kelley (Sophie's BF Romey's mom) will be calling around in the morning for who can take her soonest. I keep noticing that Lakoda wants to stretch out into the flying chow position, but can't because she's so bound up by the mats I can't get to with the scissors. I can't wait for her to be freed, and I can't wait to hug her all over for you, Pooh, and Tigger-roo.

You're an angel.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Thank you Fairy Chowmother Lou!

The groomers just gushed on and on about what a sweet tempered and patient girl Lakota is. They were also very apologetic about not being able to make her look prettier, but I thought they did a great job. She feels, looks, and smells 100% better.

She seems to know she looks all fresh and pretty, and has a little extra zip in her step.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

thank you for taking this girl in, thank you Lou for helping to get Lakota "purdiee-up"...
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

Etymology
Lakota for "alliance of friends

Lakota

A Native American tribe, also known as the Sioux, now living primarily on the Rosebud, Pine Ridge, Lower Brule, Standing Rock and Cheyenne River Reservations.
The language spoken by the Lakota.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Lakota

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakota_mythology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuwipi

A Yuwipi is a ceremony which is translated as "Spirit Calling Ceremony", performed in particular amongst the Sioux peoples of the United States of America. According to Ed Mc Gaa, author of "Mother Earth Spirituality", the term yuwipi translates to "they tie him up" because the medicine man who performs the ceremony is literally tied up with a special blanket and ties while acting as a medium between this world and the spirit world.

Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

Good Deal, she look great! So what is the plan for her? Does she have a foster home or do I need to come get her? I am working in downtown Nashville today and tomorrow.

PM me if you need me to.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Ahhh, she's TINY Sandy. What a sweet smile she has as well.
Thank you Elodie!
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Ohhhh I love how her little possum tail still curls up. She's cute now, but she's going to be gorgeous soon.
puddinglove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by puddinglove »

DH and I have just finished telling Pudding how good she has it. Shaved chow girl reminds me of Pudding in the summer. Not quite so short, of course, but same color and face.

Lou, you are an angel for your good deed. Major karma bucks!!! =D=
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Yes, I like Lakota better, too.

Well, today I discovered her treat food of choice... American cheese. I thought it was worth a try, even though Sophie doesn't like it. When she found out I had two slices in my back pocket, her eyes lit up, and she trotted after me with a renewed sense of purpose! We all know how helpful it is to find that one magic treat which makes training easy, and that's it for her. We came home from our walk and practiced going up and down stairs. I know she looks little, but I've been hauling 49 pounds of little chow girl up a flight and a half of stairs twice a day, so I was especially happy to find that motivating tool, Layla. :D

Pleased to report, too, that her possum tail has plenty of hair coming in, not as *Censored Word* as originally thought once washed.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I bet you were Sandy! Gosh, She'll be Millie sized in no time.... well, maybe not that big :wink:

Adorable picture by the way.
Thank you Elodie!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Lakota must think she is in heaven being able to be indoors and having so much attention. I'm so happy you rescued her from what could have been a terrible ending.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Oh, she's so pretty. Thanks and god bless you to all of you involved in her rescue. There is a special place in heaven for those who care for those who can't care for themselves, at least in my theology.

I will never understand those who can allow their pet to get into this state, or give her up after all these years, it brings tears to my eyes.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

You guys are amazing. She looks so pretty after her trip to the spa. I love the picture of her curled under the blanket-it looks like my soph has been there to tuck her in. :wink:

Thank you so much sweetpea you are wonderful!!!
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

I'm so grateful for the way everybody has pitched in on Lakota's behalf. All we've done is pitched in a little money and a little time, and look how much better her life is already. Sean was prepared to drop everything and come take her even with his plate already full. Kelley donated not only monetarily by getting food and treats, but also with her considerable organizational skills. Stachia with fostering, Lou with grooming, Susan and I got the vet bill covered....

You know, it takes a village to rescue a chow. :D
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Wow, everyone has been so kind, I wish I could adopt her. I am sure she will find a good home soon, especially with everyone looking out for her

Dogdad
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I will never understand what some people do (or don't do) for the pets they claim to love. What ticks me off the most, is reading about the retired couple in England who lost their beloved Chow and can't find another to rescue. This poor sweet love who would no doubt be the honored member of their family, save the thousands of miles between them. Life really isn't fair, is it?
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

No, it really isn't. Wish there was some way to get her to them, I know they would treat her like the queen she is. After having her for a couple of weeks, we have a better idea of Lakota's personality...

What we know about Lakota:

Lakota is a very calm and sweet 10 year old, loves scratches and loves to be hand fed out of her bowl, although manages quite well on her own, thank you. Even though her hearing is very poor, she can hear some higher pitches. Her "reading" vision is not great, but she can see and recognize her people with no problem. She understands the universal "come here" gesture and responds to it... well, most of the time. Loves long walks in the park and loves to sniff everything. Twice.

Lakota does not like sharing her dish with other female dogs, and probably had to compete for food. As mentioned before, she has no such problems with humans. Stachia says she was fine with her parent's large male dogs, though, and Kelley says she is fine around her housecats. She is not a fussy eater, which makes a delightful change for most chow owners. She has had only one accident in the house when she first got here, some initial confusion about when and where to piddle, but immediately learned that she would be able to go outside to attend to such matters and that was not really necessary.

Lakota is surprisingly vocal for a chow who is hard of hearing, and greets other dogs in quiet, fluent Chownese. When she sniffs something particularly interesting to her, she'll respond with a loud "Huh!" which is completely adorable. She likes the boy dogs more than the girls, and would probably do better with a brother rather than a sister, and separate dining areas for a while, regardless. Likes children and does just fine with plenty of activity around her, but also needs a safe place of her own to go to nap. I have wakened her from a dead sleep several times by putting my hand on her back, and while you would think she would jump right out of her skin (I know I would), she just leans right into her wake up scratches. She is a little more touchy- feely than most chows, accepts handling from everybody she meets, and loves attention.

Lakota lived her previous life in a 9'x9' pen. As a result, her muscles are pretty flaccid, and her walking a little slow. She picks up her pace a little more each day, and really needs her walkies to build up muscle tone. One good mile long walk per day would probably be enough, but she will walk as much as you want in time, I am sure. We started out referring to her as "poor old thing" and "old girl", but we now think of her as "the little girl" because she is such a chowling in spirit, and so interested in everything.

Lakota needs a special home, not because she has physical limitations, but because she deserves it. I honestly can say that her hearing and vision problems have not hindered her in any way, and she presents no problems to her caretakers because of them. Lakota's foster Aunties have enjoyed every minute with her, and we will truly be envious of whoever has the privilege of sharing their home and their love with her.

Image Image
"Come on, Lakota! Let's do the supermodel strut! Then, turn...and sell it with 'The Look'"

"Yeah, that look."
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

She's so cute!!! I hope she finds a forever home soon.
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

She's cute, imagine when her hair grows back, she'll be a beauty. I hope a forever home can be found quickly,
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Image ImageImage
Bump. Lakota still needs a home. We are filled with anxiety about her future and neither of us wish to see her shuttled off to another foster home, but it seems there may not be any other choice.

The former owners know where we live and have made attempts to see her. This would be very confusing for Lakota, as she is now just coming out of her shell, holding her head up again and greeting each day with hope.

They made contact with her once, and her initial joy was replaced with deep depression when they left when she saw that they had abandoned her again. Chows are so loyal, no matter what their circumstances and what little provisions have been given to them, still cling to their people. I can't see her go through that again.

Please help Lakota by giving her a home and the love she deserves.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

bump
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Man, I wish i could help... She's absolutly beautiful. I know she does better with males but Tippsy would most likely be great with her.

I hope she finds a home soon.

Jess
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix