Please help lost chow in maryland

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pet detective's, Pet Physics, Helicopters, what ever it takes to find a lost Chow. Some people about a month ago hired helicopters to find their lost dog. A guy in SF took out adds in the movie theaters to find his lost Shar-pi, his add was shown with the coming attractions.

Make sure to check the lost and found in your newspapers and update your graiglist post evey other day. You probably need to check the local shelters daily.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I agree with the others, whatever you can do is worth a try.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Echazottes
Rank 0
Rank 0

pet detective

Post by Echazottes »

So the pet detective came by this morning and her dog was able to get the scent of Onyx...but lost the scent somewhere in our neighborhood. She ended up leaving for a meeting in Va but said she would be back later today to try again.

She brought a friend with her who looked in the woods we have behind our house to make sure Onyx didn't fall in the small creek. No one else has called today to say they have spotted her. I think we are going to make larger posters and put them up along traffic lights and we are going to expand how far away from our house we are putting them.

I'm nervous that no one has seen her and its been 5 days........
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Chows are experts at avoiding, hiding and living on their own I wouldn't give up hope.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

Tell the owner to keep going to the shelter and actually look at the dogs. When Molly was missing she was 2 wks (or more, I cant remember now)out on her own. It seems like there was a wk no signs of her. The shelters knew she was being looked for and never said a word. In fact Bonnie had went there just before they picked Molly up and they assured her they would call her if they picked up a Chow. Well they listed Molly as something other than a Chow. So tell the owner to keep going there and looking at all the dogs, dont take the shelters word for it. And dont give up hope. Molly was found hanging a K-Mart.
I hope this baby is found soon.
Echazottes
Rank 0
Rank 0

Update!

Post by Echazottes »

So Onyx was spotted about 5 miles from our house! We put posters up today farther away from our home because she has been gone for so long. Someone finally called around 7pm tonight to say they are almost positive they saw a chow this morning at 6am when they were jogging! I know she can survive out there because there are a ton of dumpsters in this parking lot right next to the trail she was spotted and there is a river right there. This is the second person to call so we are hopeful that tomorrow the pet detective and her dog will come and see if they can find her scent there! Also I am going out at 9am to hand out flyer's to all of the stores on Main street. Wish us luck!!!!!!!!!!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I don't know what time it is there but you or someone the Chow knows should take a drive over there now and take a look around, bring something from the house that is stongly scented with your smell ( throw your dirty cloths basket all over the area) If you don't see him leave the article/articles in a safe place with some treats or food he will find them and will stay in that area.

ImageImage
Echazottes
Rank 0
Rank 0

WE FOUND HER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Echazottes »

I just wanted to let everyone know that I found Onyx about 30 minutes ago!!! She was on a busy street. I will update everyone later....we need to take her to the vet in case she needs fluids. Again thanks to everyone who put her in their prayers.
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

That is wonderful
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I'm in tears!!! Thank God!!! I am so happy for you!! Give her lots of hugs from all of us.

I hope you'll stay on the forum, we'd love to hear more about Onyx.

Have a great, great weekend!!
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \:D/

This is the best news!!!!!!! Your persistance paid off. I am so happy for you and for her!!!! Great job to everyone who helped out too!!!!!
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

That is really great new! I bet she's happy to be back with you.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

The only thing better then her being found would be being there to see her reaction to being found, Great news, Glad you found her.

ImageImage
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

=D= =D= =D=
I've been following the thread very anxiously. I am so glad she's been found.
Echazottes
Rank 0
Rank 0

Update on Onyx :) :)

Post by Echazottes »

I just wanted to update everyone on how Onyx was found. Ironically after searching from 6am to 11am about 5 miles from our house I decided to drop off the flyer's at home and then head out to my doctors appointment. To my surprise my house phone started ringing as soon as I got in! A very nice lady by the name of Julie said she saw Onyx running along side the busy street that is right off of our neighborhood (not even a mile away!!!). When I got there she was trying to call her but Onyx was so scared she kept running away from everyone. I arrived maybe two minutes later and I literally put my car in park in the middle of the road to stop traffic and called her. She ran the other way and then turned around and came over to me and as soon as she sniffed my hand she knew it was me!

Thank god I had her leash in my car so I hooked it on and then people helped pick her up and put her in my SUV since she couldn't get up there herself. We took her to the vet and she if fine! They said she wasn't eve really dehydrated and she only lost about 4 pounds. She is just really smelly and dirty :) Nothing that a good grooming won't take care of. I'm just glad that she is home safe :) I want to thank everyone again. I didn't know that there were people like you guys still out there in this world. So many of you offered such good advice and some of you even offered to come out and hand out flyer's door to door.

I want to give a special thank you to Daddysgirl for telling me about his site and posting Onyx's lost info here.

Again thank you all.......
Emilie
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I too, have been following the Onyx saga. I am happy it ended so splendidly. But let's not let it become the end of her story for us...please join us here, and share stories and photos. Such happy news!
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I have been following this story too! I'm so happy onyx was found.she is a very lucky girl!
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
daddysgirl1977d
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by daddysgirl1977d »

aww you dont have to thank me i was just happy you got some great advice and support on bringing her home .. that was the only thing that was important to me .. and that was why i emailed you in the first place .. i new the ppl here would be able to tell you what to do to find her and bring her home safe ..

guess what im saying is you are very welcome .. i love my chow babies and would be lost with out them .. so i no you must have been hurting the whole time she was gone ..

she is right though you guys really are great !!!!
mrstu
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mrstu »

Yeah for Onyx!!! I am glad she is home safe and sound! Give her some kisses from me and Mr. Kirby.
Patti, Mrs. Tu, Kirby, Sophia and Maggie's mommy

Another beautiful banner courtesy of Sweetpea...
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

Fantastic news!

Please stay on our site and join us.
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

I am so relieved that Onyx made it back home safe and sound.

Onyx- Stay home and don't scare your mom like that anymore!
~Renae
<br>

Banner thanks to Wildthings. Sizing thanks to Sweetpea.
Echazottes
Rank 0
Rank 0

Pictures of Onyx

Post by Echazottes »

I have downloaded some pics of Onnie so you all can see her the day she was found. Both were taken AFTER she came home from the vet, so she is nice and clean! :D Thanks again to you all.

~Emilie & Onyx

http://img530.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 002gu7.jpg

http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 009md4.jpg

http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 011gv3.jpg