16-year old blind chow DUMPED in Spaulding GA kill shelter

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

That is wonderful news Julia!!! Please keep us posted and let us know if she has him by now. I hope so!!! Thank goodness for this guy, it boggles me how anyone can just give up any animal after 16 years like he's a piece of furniture. :(
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Any news? I tried to call a couple of times, but got a busy signal. I am hoping he was picked up.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

No news yet and I keep getting a busy signal also. I PM'd the person that was talking to the rescue but she is not on line right now. I am going to keep trying and I will update as soon as I know something.

Julia
Thank you Sweetpea!!

A wagging tail lifts you when life has let you down.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I just tryed to call them and got a busy signal too. I emailed them reguarding their phone and asked them to check and see if it was off the hook accidently...... :cry:
Told them we would keep trying :roll:

Thanks Sweetpea!
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

I did get through finally but got the voice mail. I left a message and hopefully they are going to get back with me soon. I also sent an e mail and still nothing from the woman with the rescue yet. Maybe that just means that she is busy getting him out! I'll bet the shelter is overwhelmed with calls from all of us lol!

Julia
Thank you Sweetpea!!

cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

I just heard the news! The chow is going to be taken by Saving Furry Friends rescue!!! Here is the link

http://petloverstips.com/ForTheLoveofth ... ll-shelter

There is also a link there for donations to be sent to. All I have to say is bless the lot of them for working so hard at springing this poor guy!!!!

Julia
Thank you Sweetpea!!

jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

thats great news.I just looked at the website and sent a small donation.poor guy,at least he won't die alone.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Julia, that is the best news! No dog ever deserves to be dumped at a shelter, then have their lives hang in the balances, but this poor boy gave 16 years to people, has a disability, he should spend the last part of his life loved and spoiled...I'm glad he will get that chance still.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

=D= =D= \:D/
I am soooo happy for him, sent in my donation. Hope he has a new forever home soon :D
Thank You soooo much

Thanks Sweetpea!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

This is great news for the old guy. I have also sent a donation hopefully the rest of his life will be as good as possible.
SweetPea Rocks!!
dmichele
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dmichele »

FANTASTIC. Thanks for the update. And thanks to everyone who stepped up for this dog. Sometimes it takes a village to save an animal. Off to make a donation . . .

Hug your dogs.

Dina
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

Yeah, great news!!!

Just donated.

Oh Happy Day! \:D/
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Its to bad the owners of that Chow will never know what went on after they dumped thier Chow, they just go on with life never knowing what happened becouse of thier heartless bullcrap or even care.

Is the Chow out of the shelter now or is it still just pending?
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Paperwork is done, but he has to be picked up still. Or at least the last time I called. I bet they are sick of hearing from all of us and those who were able to rescue.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

I have not heard one way or the other for sure. All I really know is that the adoption application was approved and that they were going to get him sometime today. I have called and e mailed the shelter and have not heard anything back yet. I would have to assume that they have gotten him by now since it is about 3:30 there.

Julia
Thank you Sweetpea!!

dmichele
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dmichele »

"Its to bad the owners of that Chow will never know what went on after they dumped thier Chow, they just go on with life never knowing what happened becouse of thier heartless bullcrap or even care"

WORSE! I'd bet that, after abandoning their old friend, they went and got themselves a younger, healthy dog.

The former owners of a 13-year-old rescue whippet tried to do just that. First they abandoned him and let him go feral (he lived outside for months before he was caught). Then they contacted whippet rescue to try to get a younger replacement, claiming their whippet had been hit by a car and had died. Thankfully, the 13-year-old dog was tatooed, so the rescue people KNEW who had owned him. Needless to say, those people did not get another dog. At least not through rescue.
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

don't you wonder whats the matter with some people?can't be bothered taking care of an older or sick dog.oh,and puppies are great until they get too big,then they just let them out loose to wonder the streets.too bad anyone can just go get a dog. :-x
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Let the busters think he died. They figured he would soon, that's why the 'cheap euth' route. No, this would make them feel good about themselves. Even worse, maybe they did it after his own person died, and didn't want to bother with him. So many scenerios play through my head, none of them good.
RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RHENEGADE CHOWS »

Auddymay wrote:Let the busters think he died. They figured he would soon, that's why the 'cheap euth' route. No, this would make them feel good about themselves. Even worse, maybe they did it after his own person died, and didn't want to bother with him. So many scenerios play through my head, none of them good.
I am so infuriated by this it is unbelieveable! If words wouldn't be censored I'd let them out. I can hardly hold back tears over this. I would do anything to have a chow live that long. And to think they just couldn't wait a few more years and dumped him like a piece of trash. I am so upset. I will be contacting furry friends. I would love for him to come to the country and live with us. This just sickens me. The only thing I know is that this guy has angels protecting him...
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

Wonderful news! I just made a donation to the cause.

The last entry on the link above says he is also deaf and lame, but it sounds like they are going to take care of him.

Yvonne and Brandon
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

RHENEGADE CHOWS wrote:
Auddymay wrote:Let the busters think he died. They figured he would soon, that's why the 'cheap euth' route. No, this would make them feel good about themselves. Even worse, maybe they did it after his own person died, and didn't want to bother with him. So many scenerios play through my head, none of them good.
I am so infuriated by this it is unbelieveable!...
It may not be a politically correct thing to say on this site, but there could be truth to it. I fostered a 15 year old that was left at the shelter with euthanasia orders from the owners. The thread is on her memoriam in that section if you want a review. At that time, my thoughts were it was unbelieveable that someone would be so heartless. The good thing about SF's ACC is they do have vets and staff that care and questioned the surrenderer's request and contacted the rescue org I foster for. They sprung her out and she passed in a month. Most of what was written as her cause for a euth order eventually proved true. I know many people here in my very urban area who would choose what Auddymay wrote. I've seen many owners drop off their cat or dog at my chow's vet to be humanely euthanized without them. People deal with these situations so different. Economics play a large part too, as does what they've heard might be the best route to take in their culture. Some people who can't bear the cost of a vet's fee for the service have been led to believe bringing their dying pet to the shelter is humane versus having them at home to die in pain. Similarly, not all animal owners have places where they can bury a beloved pet or can pay for cremation and opt to bring their deceased pet to a shelter to be "disposed of". In my fostering situation, I felt bad that the owners knew this, thought they did what was right for their dog, mourned for her not knowing she was spared but got sicker and sicker from being at the shelter environment and eventually passed. The ER vet told me she would not be in pain and would just go into a deep sleep when the time came. But I saw her eyes and there was pain and all I could do was hug her. I still have her ovaries and when I have extra cash I plan to get a pathology done on it to verify her cancer diagnosis her original owners told the shelter. The vet who performed her spay thought it to be true so she preserved it for the future adopters to get done. So in my experience, my opinion is what was written is not unbelievable.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Right or wrong, heartless or not, You don't gas a 16 year old blind Chow no matter what the reason, there is no excuse or sympahy for what they did. When ever you drop a dog off to be euthanzied the shelter wants to know why, If this Chow was droped off to be PTS becouse of medical reasons the shelter wouldn't be adopting him out or holding him for the required 5 days. If he were sick or dying he would have PTS as sonn as he walked in, the shelter wouldn't be wasting thier time trying to save him. He was dumped.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

I agree with both Jeff and Zhuyos mom. If this boy needed to be PTS it should have been done humanely in the arms of his owners not in a gas chamber and if the owners had looked at it thouroughly they would have known what method the shelter uses to put down the animals and how inhumane it is. Funding can be a consideration but I would NEVER let one of my dogs go in the way that these people did simply because of funding. I would have done something to get the money ANYTHING!! Even if it meant borrowing from someone that I don't like that I know is going to hold it over my head forever even well after it was paid back. That would not even be a second thought in my head. I don't care how "poor" you are you don't just dump your dog at a shelter to be PTS inhumanely EVER!

Julia
Thank you Sweetpea!!

cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

Update - 9/17/07 - 10 pm - Just spoke with Caroline again. Sara wasn’t able to get Morgan, yup, that’s his name now, Morgan, into a groomer today. She took him but they couldn’t fit him, so she has a appt set up with the groomer and vet tomorrow. She did do her best to cut some of the worst of the mats off of him and clean him up some to make him comfortable. The one thing Sara did find out when she clipped him was that he is very emaciated.

So I’ll update again tomorrow after Morgan visits the vet. He’ll being getting the regular routine of shots but will also be having additional tests for his care.

Everyone say your prayers for Morgan, that the vet finds nothing serious like heartworm, and that some good food and some loving care will put him on the road to recovery.

Oh, I should have some pix of Morgan tomorrow :D
Oh and just a side note....such caring owners let him get in this condition in the first place so to anyone who wants to defend the owners for doing "what they thought was right" when they never took care of him in the first place that doesn't work for me. No offence meant to Zhuyos mom at all.

Julia
Thank you Sweetpea!!

Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

cleopatra20043 wrote: No offence meant to Zhuyos mom at all.
No offence taken.

There's another chow in that shelter. His time is up tomorrow.

http://www.spaldingcountyanimalshelter.com/dogs1.htm