16-year old blind chow DUMPED in Spaulding GA kill shelter

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

Sean,

You have to do your job! Because you need to feed and take care of the ones you have now and you can't do anymore rescue if you lose your job or don't do your work. What you do with rescue is so great and you have gone above and beyond what most people will ever do. You're great- don't beat yourself up!
~Renae
<br>

Banner thanks to Wildthings. Sizing thanks to Sweetpea.
dmichele
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dmichele »

Amen to all of the above. You try. That's all a person can do. I'm sure there is already a special place for you in doggie Heaven!
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

What puzzles me is he's not on their website.There's a lot of people that check that shelter because they know it's a kill shelter.
Wish I could bail the old fellow out,but with the small jumpy dogs and the big barky chows he'd go nuts.
With 5 dogs and a cat and a guest cat + two extra people til October 14 this place is a nuthouse .
Hope he can find a quiet spot somewhere.I too wish I could save them all,but until I win the lottery that's not going to happen. I hope his previous owners catch some nasty disease!!
Terrina Harris
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Terrina Harris »

Yes Sean you do not need to apologize. You have to take care of your own first and unfortunately not all can be saved. Look how you helped with Dakota and now on Sunday she will be going to her forever home.
When you get your rescue going are you going for the 501? We haven't really looked into that much yet. I think Larry has just started getting information about doing that. One of the other rescues told me it isn't cheap to go that way.

Terrina
Thank you sweetpea!!
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

What about Redangie? Warner Robins is southeast of Griffin. If she could pull him, then we can arrange transport to someone willing to take him in. Hard to believe he's 16 years old. I'd even take him in if it came down to it. He deserves better than this that's for sure.

Sean, buddy you've done more than your share. I have no doubt you've got a reserved spot in doggie heaven.
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

Terrina Harris wrote:Yes Sean you do not need to apologize. You have to take care of your own first and unfortunately not all can be saved. Look how you helped with Dakota and now on Sunday she will be going to her forever home.
When you get your rescue going are you going for the 501? We haven't really looked into that much yet. I think Larry has just started getting information about doing that. One of the other rescues told me it isn't cheap to go that way.

Terrina
Not trying to save them all, just this one, and those in my neck of the woods. Dakota is safe, this guy isn't. All I could think about last night is what he must be feeling right now,...alone, scared, confused, sitting in that stinky hellhole awaiting death in exchange for a lifetime of loyalty.

All that is important now is getting him out if he is still alive. I too could not find him on the website anymore, so nobody will know until Monday, then what? I will be in Canada and won't be back until late Wednesday, Thursday at the latest. If somebody could pull him and keep him until then I will foster him until we can find him a home.

Terrina: I asked my vets office about some of the rescues they work with and what's involved regarding paperwork, permits, and forms. They said you need a business license, a dept of agriculture..something, and the 501c to be a non profit..I guess. I need to put in another call to their rescue or my lawyer and see what they can offer up. It may be that I will need to start an LLC or something to that effect. Also there of course insurance issues as well.

So anyway, is their anybody that can pull this guy if he is still alive?
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

I can pull and keep him until you get back from Canada. I will call when I get up Monday morning. We only have this house until Friday so I cannot keep him past then. We are moving into a hotel after that.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

[:D] for RedAngie. You are awesome!

Off-topic, but I talked to a woman who lives on a base in Germany and she told me that everyone will be thrilled to have Ivana there because not a lot of people on base have pets. She said Germany is very dog friendly and people take their dogs absolutely everywhere with them.

Best of luck, both in rescuing this guy and in your move!
~Renae
<br>

Banner thanks to Wildthings. Sizing thanks to Sweetpea.
dmichele
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dmichele »

Sean,

I received a beautiful message from a woman who has spent most of her life in rescue and who reminded me that there will always be those that can't be helped. It's a fact of life. She wrote, in part, that "if you let yourself be agonized by the many you cannot help, you will not be able to help any." So true.

Don't torture yourself. Whatever happens, you have shown more compassion towards this dog than did his owners of 16 years. They are the people who should be in agony right now -- not you. (If Karma truly exists, one day, they will be.) :-x

Focus on happy thoughts of the dogs you have been able to help. Look at their pictures and take comfort in all the good you have done and will continue to do.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

vicster605 and I both called about him yesturday, he is still alive and according to the lady he is doing fine. She also said she had recieved a few calls on him, Probably people from here, She was also excited about him being posted on a Chow site. It didn't seem like they were in any hurry to kill him but its a shelter wouldn't be the first time they said one thing and did another. If anyone is actually going to pull him you should call and leave a message so they know.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Yay RedAngie! You're the best! I know how hectic your life is right now with the PCS. HUGE KUDOS to you and your family.

Whenever I think about rescues of any kind I think about that starfish story. It's kind of long, but thought some of you might like it. it's copyrighted so I left that info on there.

The Starfish Rescuers
by Jeff Roberts

One morning after a particularly fearsome storm, a man arose early and decided to go for a walk along the sea. As he neared the beach, the early riser saw an old man in the distance slowly, yet purposely, ambling down the shoreline. As he watched, the old man stopped, picked something up, and tossed it into the ocean. Then, the old man slowly straightened himself up, walked several more feet, stooped down, and once again picked up something, which he tossed into the sea.

Intrigued, the early riser moved closer. As he drew near, he realized suddenly what the old man was doing. Littered all down the shoreline, as far as the eye could see, were thousands upon thousands of starfish cast out from the ocean by the fury of the now-passed storm. As the early riser watched, the old man bent down, gently picked up a small, helpless starfish, and tossed it back into the ocean. He repeated the same process every few feet.

After a minute or two, the early riser approached the old man. "Good morning, sir" he said. "I couldn't help notice what you're doing. I commend you for what you're trying to do, but the storm has washed up thousands of starfish on this beach. You can't possibly save them all! What possible difference do you hope to accomplish?"

The old man paused for a long time, pondering the early riser's question. Finally, without saying a word, he bent down, picked up a starfish, and tossed it far into the ocean. "It made a difference to that one," he said.

Now, it was the early riser's turn to be silent. As he looked at the old man with growing admiration, it seemed as if the years fell away, revealing someone wise, noble, and strong enough to stand up to any challenge. Deeply moved, the early riser struggled for the right words, but none would come. At last, he too, bent down, picked up a starfish, and tossed it into the ocean. The old man, watched intently. He spoke not a word, but his nod and a wink said all that was needed. "Well," the early riser said as he looked out at the thousands of starfish stranded on the beach before them, "It looks like we've got a lot of work to do."

Just then, the two men realized they were not alone. Others out for their Saturday morning walks and jogs had witnessed what had taken place. When they saw what the old man and early riser were attempting to do, they too bent down and picked up starfish of their own. Soon, the morning sun shone down upon hundreds of good Samaritans - young, old, black, white, rich, and poor; each working diligently to save as many starfish as he or she was able. What had started out as one, had grown into an army of kindness.

Some time later, an amazing thing happened. As the last starfish was tossed into the ocean, a spontaneous cheer broke out among the starfish rescuers. People hugged and high- fived each other. Some exchanged names and numbers and promised to stay in touch. Others walked off together to share breakfast with new friends. To a person, each one felt they had done something important and had made a difference.

That morning, in the span of only two hours, five thousand starfish were saved, and hundreds of lives were transformed. All because one person cared enough to try to make a difference.

The next time you begin to think that the good you are doing (or considering doing) won't be enough to make a difference, think back to the Parable of the Starfish. Remember... "What is impossible for one, is easily accomplished by many." But someone needs to be the first person to throw the first starfish into the sea.

Copyright 2002, The Acts of Kindness Association. From our book, Love is Kind: How the Kindness of Ordinary People Can Make an Extraordinary Difference and Change the World. For information about The Acts of Kindness Association, or to obtain reprint information, please contact us by phone, 800-822-5874, or visit us on the web, http://www.keepthekindnessgoing.org. You are welcome to copy this story and/or to send it to others, provided you do not remove this copyright notice, and do not reprint it in other publications without our consent. .
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

What does it cost to spring this sweet old gentleman out of there?

Angie and/or Sean, please let us know what is needed in regards to the cost.

Yvonne and Brandon
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

hey guys

I know I haven't been around much but I am still here in NC. I can't adopt this sweet old man, but I am all about helping transport from Atlanta to whereever his next stop is. And I could probably keep him a couple of days if I need to over a weekend or something! Both my husband and I work full time so we don't have the time or attention to devote to him but we will help do what we can. Please PM me if you need my help. I will pop on if I see a message.

Hey Sean... seriously - you can't save them all single handed. Hope everything is going all right. I miss being a part of the group.

Hugs all.
Mandy, Chewie, & Cayenne
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

He is $20 to adopt another 15 if he has his rabies vaccine. After the adoption is approved they will hold him for another 5 day at a charge of 7 dollars per day if needed. They also allow for pets to be transported to new owners. If you want to adopt him go to this link to fill out the paperwork.

http://www.spaldingcountyanimalshelter. ... eement.htm
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

If someone is going to get him on Monday I can call the money into them if needed, I tried calling this morning to offer them a daily kennel charge to make sure they don't kill him but they are closed.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

I can't adopt him, but I'm more than willing to help by chipping in financially.

Yvonne and Brandon
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

We need more than anything to come up with a plan after he is sprung. It would be ideal if by next weekend we could find him a home and set up a transport. I can foster him but with the 3 I have now, I am worried that he could get hurt if a fight breaks out. Seems like it would be scary for him to be in close quarters with 3 strange dogs.

I will be gone Sun-Wed, off Thur (plan to pick up my guys from the kennel), work Fri.,home for the weekend and will be out of town again for Mon-Tue. After that I am here for the rest of the week, but as you can probably tell I travel often for work and I never know room week to week what my schedule will be.

Good news is that with this cooler weather I can start leaving the gang outside in the yard during the days when I am gone. I still have a crate if I need to crate him, but he needs someplace quiet and stable.
mrstu
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mrstu »

A 16 year old special needs chow man does especially pull at my heart strings seeing that I just lost my 17 year old deaf and almost blind chow girl. I can help out financially for this little old man -- just let me know how I can help.
Patti, Mrs. Tu, Kirby, Sophia and Maggie's mommy

Another beautiful banner courtesy of Sweetpea...
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Hey Sean

I will be home next weekend as well, so if we can find a home for him maybe we can hook up on a transport if he is headed this way.
Mandy, Chewie, & Cayenne
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

I have some great news for you all!!! I cross posted this on another forum since it really did bother me that someone could do that to a poor dog after a lifetime of companionship and it turns out that there is someone there that rescues older dogs and she is (as far as I know) going to be there in the morning to pick him up!!! I will call the shelter in the morning to verify and find out what is going on but at least this way it is not going to be a major inconvience on anyone and he is going to get a new comfortable forever home!!! I am sitting here with me fingers crossed that everything works out right for this chow boy tomorrow and I probably won't sleep much so that I can be up early (time zone difference) to find out as early as possible if she picked him up.

Julia
Thank you Sweetpea!!

A wagging tail lifts you when life has let you down.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

If you can find out who she is and if she's with a rescue, maybe we can send a few donations.

ImageImage
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

OH Julia,
That is the BEST NEWS!!!! I will say prayers [-o|
This one sure hurts your heart......Thank You so much for doing that....I sure hopes this works...I have been so worried about him.

Thanks Sweetpea!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Works for me I'll send a donation.....no problem :D

Thanks Sweetpea!
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

Jeff&Peks wrote:If you can find out who she is and if she's with a rescue, maybe we can send a few donations.
Great idea Jeff! I will try to find out some more information on her tonight so that we can know a little bit better what is going on. All I really know at the moment is that she runs a rescue for older dogs.

Julia
Thank you Sweetpea!!

A wagging tail lifts you when life has let you down.
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Yay...I'm so glad someone is able to help him...whoever that may be! I had looked up a few senior sanctuaries, but have been out of town all weekend so hadn't been able to contact any other them yet, but now it looks like he already has a rescuer.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh