Shakespeare chow (aka Carson chows)

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Oh No! Mea Culpa! Oberon is the youngest and not Laszlo? Oh boy, better not tell PB, she's gonna fire me for sure! :oops:

Oh look at those little tails!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Hard to tell at this age, but are they mixes? Those perfect little chow tails makes me think they are mostly chows- not one looks different in form from the next, uncommon in a mixed litter.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

You should get some really nice close ups of these lil' cuties for the rescue calendar....so their rescue story can be added. The Strawberry Patch Chowlings..... :D :D
All I can say every time you post a new pic is AWWWWWWW :inlove:

Thanks Sweetpea!
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

Wonderfull photo, a few years ago I also took 7 puppies away from their owner, one of the little girls had had her front paw cut off after a door jammed shut on it, I found her and the others new homes when they were about 9 weeks old, they were such dear little puppies, and even the one with a missing paw called Debbie, was loved and very spoilt by there new owners, at that time I had 17 chows and could not keep any more, on our property. now I only have four. but I will keep looking and rescuing when given the chance.
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Bless them, they look like little chipmunks. Surely they are barely four weeks old. :cry:

Are they sure that the mother is dead? I never could find Sophie's babies in the woods... she was so confident that they were hidden (and they were) that she would go out "hunting" and hanging out behind my door for a couple of hours at a time. Is it possible that someone found the pups while the mom was out hunting for food? If so, she would go back again and again to where they were to find them.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zingara_princepessa »

I wish I knew about the mom. The shelter simply had no idea.Lou suggested that with a litter this large, maybe the mom dies in childbirth? There's apparently no way for us to know....

Because of the circumstance in which they came to me, I can't vouch for their lineage, but Lou and I think they're pb. I guess we'll know more as they grow, but they are all so similar to each other, I believe they all have the same parents.
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

How long were the puppies at the shelter before they were picked up? and what shelter were they at, Carson or south central LA,. Adopt a ChowLA just homed 3 small chow puppies last week, I doubt if Adopt a Chow LA or the other Chow or non-chow rescues knew they were there they wouldn't have ignored them. There are allot of rescues and private people that hang out at those shelters all the time any Chow/dog especially puppies facing death would have been plastered all over LA's griagslist, I don't think anyone knew about them. I usually know about any PB chow that hits an LA shelter this is the first I heard about them.

I'm sure the puppies were found put in a box and brought in with out anyone ever looking for a mom and shipped out before any LA rescue knew about them or knowing LA the owner probably brought them in. I really doubt every shelter in Southern CA left them to die. There's a few people on the site that check LA shelters and Craigslist everyday they didn't know anything about them.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Jeff&Peks wrote:How long were the puppies at the shelter before they were picked up? and what shelter were they at, Carson or south central LA,. Adopt a ChowLA just homed 3 small chow puppies last week, I doubt if Adopt a Chow LA or the other Chow or non-chow rescues knew they were there they wouldn't have ignored them...I don't think anyone knew about them. I usually know about any PB chow that hits an LA shelter this is the first I heard about them. I really doubt every shelter in Southern CA left them to die. There's a few people on the site that check LA shelters and Craigslist everyday they didn't know anything about them.
* The Puppies were admitted on August 28th. Jenn contacted me Thursday the 30th. On the 31st, Cathy received the okay from RDR and pulled them out the day of transport - Saturday, Sept. 1st.

* They were in LA County's Carson Shelter located in Gardena, CA. It serves the cities: Beverly Hills, City of Carson, City of Culver City, City of Culver City (County Area), El Camino Village (County Area) Gardena, City of Gardena (County Area), Harbor City (County Area), Inglewood, City of Ladera Heights (County Area), Lawndale (County Area), Lennox (County Area), Lomita, City of Los Angeles 90008 (County Area) 90043 (County Area) 90044 (County Area) 90047 (County Area) 90056 (County Area) and 90061 (County Area), Marina Del Rey (County Area), Palos Verdes, City of Palos Verdes Estates, City of Rancho Palos Verdes, City of Rolling Hills, City of Rolling Hills (County Area), Rolling Hills Estates, City of Rolling Hills Estates (County Area), San Pedro (County Area), Torrance, City of Torrance (County Area), Universal Studios (County Area), City of West Hollywood.

* They were (photos are still on) in the Lost and Found section. http://animalcare.lacounty.gov/LostFoun ... &offset=80 (record page 81 & 82)

* Nope. They all knew. There was no room at the inn. See below:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Aug 29, 2007 11:40 AM
Subject: Carson, CA: 7 orphan Chow puppies (6 weeks old)
To:

PLEASE CROSSPOST (Sorry some of you are on my list as well as Jody's, so forgive the double post)

Can you all cross-post this...these poor babies are bottle feeders, but I can't take them unless I were to move my other fosters, which is not likely. Anyone out there who can help them???

Note: forwarded message attached.

From: Joanscocci@aol.com To: catsfordays@.com , jodysrescues@.com, scoccimarrocasting@yahoo.com, joans@fox.com, toni@.com, Jutzs@.com, pandorsbox169@.com
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 09:38:31 EDT
Subject: Fwd: Fw: 7 orphan Chow puppies (6 weeks old) at Carson shelter needing help
OMG...need fosters asap. or rescue

To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 22:21:55 -0700
Subject: Fw: 7 orphan Chow puppies (6 weeks old) at Carson shelter needing help

Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:17 PM
Subject: 7 orphan Chow puppies (6 weeks old) at Carson shelter needing help

There are 7 orphan Chow pups at the Carson shelter - please help them get out of there alive.

Carson is NOT a good environment for any animals - especially the puppies.
Zhuyos mom

Two more photos

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Here's the little guy I will be fostering:

(photo courtesy of Auntie Jenn)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

They were e-mailed the 29th, probably didn't see the email until the next day the 30th the Chows were picked up on Saturday the 31st on labor day weekend. Yep all of them including N ca Shelters had plenty of time to react that's even if any of them saw the e-mail until Tuesday.

Now that the puppies have been saved from death are they just going to be spread all over as fosters? Caroline offered to take a couple, that at least keeps two of them together but Caroline being one of the most knowledgeable, caring Chow owners on this site was denied so the puppies could be fostered close by, that makes since. what happens when they get older do they all get dumped back at red rocket.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Which one is that Lou? He's a cutie for sure
Thank you Elodie!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Layla, he's Cicero.

Jeff, seriously, what's your point and if you can't share in the joy of this thread, why are you posting the way you've been posting? These pupplies have to be fostered first. They can't be adopted till a healthy age. That's alot of work for one foster parent to do for all 7 puppies of that age. There are many potential adopters already who have filed applications and we have added addition pre-qualifying questions through lessons on this site (i.e. do you have homeowners insurance that will accomodate a chow? Who is your homeowner's insurance carrier?). Anyone is free to apply. Will they all get selected? Who knows. Special circumstances might be applied, but that's up to the powers that be. That's how Roxana was able to adopt Neelaa. SBPB rescue does not typically allow adoptions out of the area; moreover, out of the country. If Carolyn wants to apply, go for it. I would think she would prefer one that would not have to endure such a long plane ride. Perhaps one that is intact since she's bred really beautiful chows and are a rare breed in South Africa.
Jeff&Peks wrote:They were e-mailed the 29th, probably didn't see the email until the next day the 30th the Chows were picked up on Saturday the 31st on labor day weekend. Yep all of them including N ca Shelters had plenty of time to react that's even if any of them saw the e-mail until Tuesday.
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:17 PM
Subject: 7 orphan Chow puppies (6 weeks old) at Carson shelter needing help
There are 7 orphan Chow pups at the Carson shelter - please help them get out of there alive.

* The Puppies were admitted on August 28th. Jenn contacted me Thursday the 30th. On the 31st, Cathy received the okay from RDR and pulled them out the day of transport - Saturday, Sept. 1st.
Last edited by Zhuyos mom on Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I think Caroline was more wishing than actually wanting to fly them to Africa. Kinda like when Millie and Mabel want to come to Chowfest. She would make an excellent mum.

Lou, I'm glad you are going to foster. I hope it turns into something permanent. Who is the Shakespeare fan that chose the names?
Last edited by Auddymay on Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Thanks Auddymay. I think you are correct. Just like I would love to go to Bama's ChowFest for authentic Southern BBQ!!!!

Jenn's idea. However, interestingly enough, both of us are fans of the Bard. I tried to visit his stomping grounds when I was at Judy's but it was too far from where she lived. It was the only thing on the my list of what I wanted to do while in the UK that we couldn't do. Anyways, she kindly changed a couple of the chowling's name to ones I suggested.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Auddymay wrote:Who is the Shakespear fan that chose the names?
I'd go with Jenn, see how Poe got his name....
Thank you Elodie!
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Dear Jeff,

Joan @ Adopt a Chow had a CIP on these pups, but she was unable to pick them up until after the weekend, which would have let them at Carson for four extra days. The woman who contacted me was worried they wouldn't last that long in that shelter, so I drove down there. It was a question of resources and time and room. Joan has a terrific reputation and does fabulous work. I just happened to get there first.

Also, I wasn't denying Carolyn anything. Rocket Dog has a fairly strict adoption policy, which includes a rule about long distance adoptions. We don't like for dogs to go farther than we could drive to get them should an emergency arise (basically, West Coast and some small parts of Nevada.) We like to be available to help adopters if they should need it. Call me a skeptic but driving to Caro's place in South Africa would present a bit of a challenge, wouldn't ya say?

Finally, I am going to oversee the adoption of these puppies very carefully, so that there will be no returns, issues, etc. Right now, I am accepting applications only, and I am going screen for for previous chow experience. If a dog does get returned, it will be to me.

I am committed to these puppies. There should be no doubt or mistake about it.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Jenn, will you be keeping one (or 2) for yourself? Sounds like a good opportunity for your husband to find some of his own love from a chow!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Something Jenn didn't mention was when she brought these puppies up here, their fur was soaked in urine with a lining of feces. These photos on the thread is after Jenn purchased special shampoo and bathed them. In the matter of these chowlings, it was important to trust Cathy's instincts and get them out right away to a rescue that had the resources to accommodate all of them.

.... Desdemona has fat feetsies and smell nice now ....

Oh Auddymay, at this juncture, I will just be a foster mom. Cicero for sure and I can take one or two more. If I adopt Cicero then I don't think I'll be able to take in another chow foster when the time comes. So, this is something I have to think about. And, maybe Cicero is destined for another family.
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

What Lou says is true. These dogs were covered in their own filth and smelled to high heaven. I gave them each an Earth bath, and they smelled ever so much better afterward.

And you KNOW I was sniffing their feets the ENTIRE time they were with me...I'm so ashamed!!! :oops:

lol!!!

Auddy, I'd love to have one of the girls. We'll see.
Last edited by zingara_princepessa on Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

carolyn dewrance wrote:...Oh well, Out here you dont get rescue chows, the SPCA has phones me twice in the last few months but they want a rediculous price for them, and then I must also pay to have spay/nuter done as well. If only people would realise I would take them in for nothing love them feed them groom them and care for them, after all they are all so special. I could never just throw one away.
Carolyn, why don't you start a rescue? You have the land for it. That way people in your area, or South Africa in general, can have another option regarding their chow. There are a couple of other members here from South Africa, so maybe you can collaborate with them and get one started.
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

Lou, yes you are right, and it is a long long way for a puppy to fly out here, I am very seriously thinking of starting a Chow Chow rescue and maybe with the help of others in S.A on this site we will be able to do something for the unwanted chows that land up at the SPCA. I think Jenn is doing a wonderful job with the puppies, and Yes Jeff I wish they were all mine, but the trip will be just to far, I would hate anything to happen to them on the plane over here. but thank you for the very kind words.
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

OMG, those photos of Cicero are so cute! I love the one of his little face while he's on PB. They are so tiny, bless their little hearts (and great smelling feeties :wink: ).
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Not exactly Part Two, but.....

I keep meaning to write about these guys but every time I sit down to do it, I'm usually so pooped that I am afraid I will be incoherent. For now, here are a couple more pictures. Desdemona and Laszlo are darling together in the first photo. I really love Phoebe, who I think may end up being a blue. She is in the second picture, posing solo.

More soon!

vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

THey are just ADORABLE!!!! :inlove:

Thanks Sweetpea!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

:inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: Little lovebugs, oh they are sooooo cute!!
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea