CA - Looking for My Very Own ‘Annabelle Lee”

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

It was very sad; however, everything is fine. I will let Jenn post.
BigTrucker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BigTrucker »

Is this the end :( ...or is there hope :idea: . I'm just ill reading how this came to be...I guess I'm in a very different world. I cannot even begin to imagine how a chow is so traumatized that he is shut down to where he hides his face in the corner...this sh!t has me in a rage. I do not understand how some son of a b!tch can use any animal as "bait" to teach other dogs how to kill. These MF'ers are popping up everywhere. You know...money motivates me enough to push that truck through some pretty sh!tty conditions. There's not enough money in the world for me to get involved in something like this. What kind of Moron would even attend a dog fight...with all the gambling out there you would think that theres no need for it. I hate to hear the outcome of this poor chow for I fear its the worst...I hope I'm wrong...if somebody gets this dog...they must be very special. I don't even know what to say...
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Okay. I'll give a little. Everything is fine. It was very sad seeing him. It took the founder of Rocket Dog Rescue almost 20 minutes to get Charlie to let her put a lead on him so she can bring him to a quiet room for our visit - she is a very gentle soul and knows her stuff big time. *Our* visit because I decided to go down to ACC and support Jenn. Thought it might be heart wrenching to see Charlie somewhat solo, so I went to offer support and a well-baby care bag of stuff. Jenn heard me ask about Charlie at the front counter. She yelled my name and that cc.org connection was instant (like we've know each other for ages connection).

Anyways, when Pali (the founder or RDR) finally got Charlie on a lead, we saw them walking towards us in the hall. It was a very sad site, but we were happy to see him! Charlie is so down trodden that he doesn't stand straight and walks cowered. At first I thought he was mixed with some hound dog because his legs looked so short and so low to the ground. But Pali said it is like that because of his state of being.

Charlie had dog bites all over his face, ears and legs. Because of the multiple bites and the locations of the mulitple bites, Pali does not think he was a bait dog but a chow who encountered mulitiple dogs and was in a fight with a pack of dogs. So imagine the power of a chow to survive such a thing. However, he was found as a stray and was very close to dying when Animal Care and Control picked him up. Here is a the shelter photo of him on tbe gurney.

He is a cream chow chow. He was given a medical shave... similiar to my Pooh Bear's, if you remember the picture, however, because of the bite wounds in his face, his fur on his face was also shaved.

Charlie was very sweet to us once he stopped shivering and stiffening up with fear. He's a young boy. They believe less than a year. I'm thinking 6 months old - gauging by how Zhu and his brother looked at 6 months old. He only trusted Pali at first and when Jenn and I started bickering, he took such interest in us that we appeared to amuse him and he stopped shivering in fear and loosened up. So Jenn went closer to him and he was so nice. I eventually joined them. Charlie was definitely pure chow. We sang to him and he was calmer. I fanned him and he was in bliss. And he started to feel okay when other dogs would pass by. He even let Pali give him kisses on his forehead, which brought her so much joy because Charlie was so shut down during her past visits.

He needed to be sprung out of the Animal Care and Control Shelter. He was on death row big time! They (ACC) had a difficult time committing to let Charlie stay an extra day if need be. Needless to say, Charlie was sprung out by Pali and her rescue organization, Rocket Dog Rescue, for foster and rescue. This is where my end of the story stops... I want Jenn to continue on....
Last edited by Zhuyos mom on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

awesome lou, but its like watching a movie and the cable goes out.lol..... jenn we're waiiiiiiiittttttiiiiiiinnnnng.lol.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

That is so wonderful that Charlie has been rescued. Again, we have another good story of someone having a huge heart of love and warmth to save another Chowling.
Thank you Lou, Jen, and Pali!!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

That is great. It seemed like he started to perk up a little just being with the three of you. I can't wait to hear the rest of the story. I hope it goes as well as the first part. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
BigTrucker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BigTrucker »

I have a completely different view of this site...initially I got involved to find a new chow after Minnie passed...it was therapudic...then I got sucked in and started doing posts just to get a reaction...within the last week...I figured to just be entertaining with some stupid Sh!t...mostly for a project I'm considering. After reading sad stories...I wanted to change direction and write something humourous. Now I read about Charlie (Just came across the story)...you know...its really nice to see people go out of their way for something completely defenseless. The generousity here is pretty hard to come by. All the other posts/debates are ok but none can compare to how well some people on here can pull together in a time of need. Its so nice to see. I hope that someday...I'm able to help in something like this...just to see a animal (chow or non chow) come back from something terrible and have a happy ending...its depressing to read about all the 911's on so many chows that are on death row...its overwelming...this story was heading that way...thanks Lou...my night has gotten better since you informed us.
Last edited by BigTrucker on Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

What heart wrenching, yet happy story. I sincerely wish for his continued recovery. Thank you and keep us posted.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

BT - every now and then we have great rescue stories like this one...that's one of the best things about this site - how everyone pulls together to save a Chowling. =D=
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Lately its been about one aweek, The colonel, Groover, Mr Cheeks and a few more.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zingara_princepessa »

Sorry it's taken me so long to get to you all. The Rocket Dog rescue lady, Pali and me went to get a crate, which I didn't own and a few other things, so I only just got back home, got my new friend set up and got on here to give my report. Believe me, I couldn't wait to get on here...I knew you all would want to hear!

First off, Lou is A-W-E-S-O-M-E! I am not just saying that. She was in the lobby of ACC shortly after I arrived and I heard her ask for Charlie the chow. I just knew it had to be her! She took time out of her day to come support me. I was and am very touched, and hopefully I'm expressing my gratitude here better than I did at the shelter. She brought me stuff I hadn't even thought of...treats, a blanket, toys. I wasn't even sure I was going to take him home. I just went to meet him to see how we would do! But Lou was WAY better prepared than me.

Ok, the dog....he's possibly the saddest animal I have ever seen. He is so snake bit, every noise and every movement makes him jump. It's just awful to see. But, the good news is that after we left the shelter, he sat in my lap to the pet store and back. He never growled, or nipped...nothing. He pressed his body up against me and tried to hide his face in my arm. This guy has been through a lot.

We put his new collar and harness on. Not a sound. When we got back to my house, I took him for a drag around the block to see if he had to relieve himself. Luckily, it was dark and quiet on my block so nothing eventful happened, but he didn't go.

I had to drag him up the stairs of my house. He was really scared, and I would have carried him, but I figured he needs to get used to going up and down the stairs, since that's how we'll be getting outside to go potty (no yard here, so we're gonna need to be on a schedule of sorts in that regard.)

Right now he's in my living room in his new crate, sleeping on the lovely blue blankie Auntie LouLou gave him. He has food and water, and he finally relented and ate something only after I looked away from him. It's as though he thinks he needs permission, poor baby.

I have to admit, when I first saw him, I was overwhelmed, thinking "how the heck am i gonna do this???" But Pali and Lou were right there, coaxing and convincing me that it would be ok. I'm glad I did it.

My hubs is another matter entirely. Not happy with me right now, but this dog is so completely pathetic that I know it's going to be okay.

The cats think an alien has landed in our living room. This dog looks as though he's afraid of them. He barely registered that they exist, he's so skittish! They keep sneaking up to the crate and looking in. He doesn't even move.

He's snoring right now. Poor guy had a hell of a day. At least we busted him out of ACC. Shelters are a tough environment for really friendly dogs, much less for an uber-project like this little guy.

I'm considering calling him Poe, after Edgar Alan. He's the most tragic poet I know of, and he was my favorite when I was a kid (ok...I was a bit strange as a kid!)

Ok, that's it for now. If I can figure out how to work my damn digital cam, and if it won't scare the snot outta this guy, I'll take some pics and post them. It will be interesting to see his progress. More tomorrow!
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

You guys are great. Thanks for the updates, I've been reading avidly & look forward to hearing how 'Charlie / Poe' comes along
Thank you Elodie!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Lou, just change the heading of this Thread to Charlies story or what ever, unless she wants to start a new one,
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
BigTrucker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BigTrucker »

You are truely a descent person...Its alot to take on...but without a doubt, you will see the positive results. I adopted Halleys Comet...(aka The Purple Tongue Devil :lol: ). She was very afraid of me...she had to ride in a Semi truck from the 1st night on til about 7 days later...she wouldn't kiss me or let me pet her...getting her in and out of the truck was a pain...but with patients and persistance...I can do as I wish with her now. she became a big ham... and in only 3 weeks. Now she's really mine...I walk her alot...always put on a happy face for her...now we're watching animal planet. Charlie will be harder than Halley most likely...but you seem to be the right kind of person for this...You will succeed. Its very nice of you. Take care

John
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

molto buono principessa and lou. i am teary eyed as i type this. you guys rock. poe is lucky to have found you. jenn, im sure he will be alot more comfy in the morning. im keepimg my fingers crossed for you and poe. time. thats all it will take hopefully. thank you,for giving him a second chance. all the best, and im saying a prayer for poe tonight. buona notte.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Thank you for the update, Jenn. Poor Poe must be tired, but you too must be nackered. Have a good night sleep. I'm sure your hubby will come around to accepting and cherishing your good deeds & Poe.

Hugs,
Leonora & mum
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

How is Poe this morning? All well I hope?
Thank you Elodie!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Yes how is he doing, Everyone involved in helping Poe is a saint.

david
Aslan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aslan »

Jen and Lou, you guys ROCK! I did not know people like you are still out there. Thank you for giving me hope on our own kind. Great to know the little guy is in a loving home now. I just cried as I read your updates. I am just so happy this story end so well.

Please, please post picture of him. I can't wait to meet Poe.

Anita
Aslanchow
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

:cry: :cry: Oh this made me cry, both out of sadness and sheer happiness that someone is finally helping him. I can only imagine what he must have gone through to put him in the state he's in now. I also can't wait to see pictures of him and to hear stories about how he's blossoming into the wonderful Chow we all know he can be. [:D] Bless all who helped him.
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I have nothing to say what hasn't been said already. This Charly/Poe story restored my belief in the kindness of people.
I want to thank all those involved in saving Charlie. I gave Mikki chow a big hug after reading about this poor chow boy,
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

Yeah, what a great outcome! Thanks to all SO MUCH!!

PS: regarding:
First off, Lou is A-W-E-S-O-M-E! I am not just saying that. She was in the lobby of ACC shortly after I arrived and I heard her ask for Charlie the chow. I just knew it had to be her! She took time out of her day to come support me. I was and am very touched, and hopefully I'm expressing my gratitude here better than I did at the shelter. She brought me stuff I hadn't even thought of...treats, a blanket, toys. I wasn't even sure I was going to take him home. I just went to meet him to see how we would do! But Lou was WAY better prepared than me.

That's =D= "our Lou" alright! :x
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

Great story!! And great of you guys to make it all happen for him!! Sounds like he will probably have some medical expenses, I'd like to make a contribution to the Get Well Charlie fund or maybe we could pass a hat for him.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

You can talk to your Vet and set up an account for Charlie/Poe then people can just make donations to help out. I don't know why but some vets don't like to do that.

ImageImage
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I too am waitting for Jenn's progress call. So let's cross our fingers things went well last night and early this morning.

I do want to clarify that Charlie/Poe is currently being "fostered". Pali and her organization, Rocket Dog Rescue, are the rescuers and Jenn (and I) went there as Charlie's possible foster parent. So, once Jenn gets him confident and in good shape, he will need a forever home. However, due to his condition, this may take a long, long, long time. I didn't want to mislead the discussion that he's already at a forever home.

If you would like to donate to Charlie the chow (or "Poe" - I don't think they'll know him by that name yet), you can go online to rocketdogrescue.org or specifically, http://www.rocketdogrescue.org/pages/donate_page.htm

I know they will appreciate it. Pali was besides herself to see two chow people willing to help Charlie. She never knew a chow line of us existed. She told me that now she knows, she's not going to hesitate to tag chows she is notified by the ACC need immediate bail out.

As for Jenn and Cindy's compliments, I didn't do anything you both wouldn't have done if the tables were turned. Although, I must pat myself on the back for including a bottle of Nature's Miracle (the pee-pee sucker picker upper) in the bag of goodies! I hope you don't have to use it, but if so, I hope it comes in handy.

So, we'll all have to wait for Jenn....