CA - Looking for My Very Own ‘Annabelle Lee”

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

update

Postby zingara_princepessa » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:51 am

Hi Gang -

Our first night went pretty well!

Poe hasn't really come out of the crate and I'm not sure he will for a while. He seemed to be afraid of the stairs last night but we did better this morning. I have been taking him out every three or so hours. Last night he had a nice long pee. Poor guy had been holding it all day. He hasn't had a b.m. yet (or a "deuce" in Big Trucker parlance!) This concerns me but I suppose he will when he's good and ready.

This morning's walk was much longer than the 3am and the 6am. He tugged on the leash to go farther, a very different reaction than last night where he cowered behind me and tried to hide in each doorway we passed.

He's eaten, which is good. The rescue lady gave me a duck & potatoe food for him, but what he really really love are these salami-type thingies that I cut up and put on top of the dry. I can't look at him while he's eating or he will stop and hang his head. It is truly the most tragic thing I have ever seen.

I want to thank everyone for their warmth and support. If only I was actually as wonderful as all your kind words say! I must admit, there's a part of me that despairs if he will ever be a happy dog. I know it's only the first 24 hours, and I can't expect a miracle.

DH is purple-pissed off, but I can see in his eyes every time he looks at this poor wretched, broken sweetie (the dog, not me!)that he is softening.

Ok, I think I need a nap. I didn't sleep a wink, worrying after the dog. I slept in the living room and put the crate where he could see me (crate wouldn't fit in my bedroom!) I had the pleasure of listening to him snore all night, while I fretted after him...hilarious!
Last edited by zingara_princepessa on Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Postby Jeff&Peks » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:09 am

"DH is purple-pissed off, but I can see in his eyes every time he looks at this poor wretched, broken sweetie (the dog, not me!)that he is softening."

Your Husband will come around its impoosible not to. You probably never read my story about adopting Pekoe but I was like him, I didn't want a dog and complained like hell but that quickly changed.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage

sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Postby sit_by_the_beach » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:28 am

Thanks for the update. I am no chow expert, I only owned two. My first chow moved in, a rack o' bones. Unhappy, fearful, restless. I fed her canned food for a month. She felt much better with a belly full of food. Maybe Poe will more likely have a BM if he's fed canned food. I don't know if it will work with Poe, it did the trick with my chow girl.

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Postby chowfrnd88 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:56 pm

Jennifer, you get some rest. You deserve it!!! Everytime I check in on this thread I just cry. This is so amazing, Poe is safe now, thanks to you and the others.

Don't worry about a bm yet, Special went three days when it snowed without one because he didn't like the snow!!! :shock: Give him a few days.

You and Cindy are right, Lou is amazing for sure! :D Everyone involved in this is amazing and Poe is lucky to have you all.
Last edited by chowfrnd88 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea

janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Postby janet » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:59 pm

JENN, i am so choked up reading your post. you are an amazing person. poe will come around.you'll see.all the best to all of you. get some rest.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image

WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Postby WildThings » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:26 pm

I haven't been keeping up with post over the last few days and just now got through this one. I am soooooo happy you were able to spring Poe. It is amazing what a safe, calm environment can do for a dog. I watch a lot of Animal Planet and I have seen them take pit bull fighters and make them into lovable pets...if they can do it with them, I am positive you can with Poe.

Tess sends purple kisses too!

zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby zingara_princepessa » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:28 pm

Thanx, everyone! I really appreciate the encouragement!

I've made a vet appt. for us on Tuesday with an ortho vet. I think someone with more experience than me needs to look at his leg, just so I know whether or not he's in pain, and how to deal with it.

Cross your fingers that it's nothing...

sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Postby sweetpea » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:16 pm

I read this for the first time tonight, this is such a sad story but thank God Poe has been taken in by someone like you! I'm going to look forward to reading all about his progress.

zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

CA - Looking for My Very Own ‘Annabelle Lee”

Postby zingara_princepessa » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:18 pm

Looking for My Very Own ‘Annabelle Lee”

My name is Poe, after the famous writer, Edgar Allen Poe. Once I “wandered, weak and weary”, but then I was saved by Rocket Dog Rescue!"

I am a 15 month old cream chow chow puppy. My rescuers believe I am pure bred, because I have the classic purple tongue of my breed, and I have many characteristics common in chows. In the pictures I have a very bad hair cut, but it is growing more every day and I am going to be a handsome guy before long!

Here’s what my foster mom says about me:

“Poe had a rough start in life. As a result, he bonds closely to one person, and is wary of others. He would be a great second dog, because while he is afraid of people, he LOVES other dogs. He wants nothing more than to play with them! His ideal situation would include a yard where Poe could run free and frolic in the sun. While he is too shy to ask for affection, he likes to be petted and caressed. His favorite thing in the whole world is a brand new bully stick, which will keep him entertained for hours on end. He is quiet and calm when he is in his special place (either his crate or bed.) He needs a home where he will feel safe and secure.”

If you think you have a forever place for me in your heart and in your home, where I will roam “nevermore”, please contact Jenn at jenn@rocketdogrescue.org

bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Postby bama » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:13 am

Jenn,
thanks for posting Poe's info.
Keep us posted.

Sher
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!

zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby zingara_princepessa » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:18 pm

bump

Jeff&Vicki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby Jeff&Vicki » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:29 pm

Jenn,
Any news on Poe?

Jeff
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." .... Will Rogers

zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby zingara_princepessa » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:23 am

I haven't seen him since I dropped him off with Pali, the founder of Rocket Dog Rescue, and I miss him like crazy but I hear he's doing ok. I've had some hits on him from petfinder.com and from the RDR website, where there's a new picture of him and he has hair! Take a look if you get a chance...he definitely looks more chow now. http://www.rocketdogrescue.org

The most serious inquiry I've had on him was from Calgary, which is a bit far for us to do a home check...<sigh> I'd drive him there myself if I thought it was a love connection.

Thanx so much for asking, and keep thinking happy thoughts in our direction.

Jeff&Vicki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby Jeff&Vicki » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:07 am

Direct link to Poe's page: http://www.rocketdogrescue.org/dog_adop ... s/poe.html

Poe with hair growing back
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." .... Will Rogers

zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby zingara_princepessa » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:37 pm

Thanx for putting his new picture up Jeff. My computer skills leave a bit to be desired.

Doesn't he look cute? I really miss him, the little monster....

Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Postby Layla » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:13 pm

Is there another rescue that could do a home check for Poe in Calgary Jenn?

He's looking great in the picture :D
Thank you Elodie!

zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Ok, people....

Postby zingara_princepessa » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:44 pm

...cross your fingers. Someone is VERY interested in Poe. All he has to do is pass the test with her brother & husband. Please think happy thoughts in our direction the next few days [-o| [-o| [-o|

Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Postby Layla » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:04 pm

Here's hoping Jenn. Let us know what happens please.
Thank you Elodie!

ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Postby ciaobella » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:12 pm

Hope to hear good news about Poe. If I was looking, I know I couldn't turn down that sweet face.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie

enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Postby enchantedonyx » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:43 pm

Just wondering if there was any news on a new home for Poe?
~Renae
<br>

Banner thanks to Wildthings. Sizing thanks to Sweetpea.

zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby zingara_princepessa » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:06 pm

So get this: after weeks of NO response to Poe's pic on the RDR website, he is now the MOST inquired-after dog...go figure!

Couple Number 1 who came to meet him were great. The woman loved Poe but the husband wants a dog who will retrieve a ball or frisbee. If you threw a ball for Poe to fetch, he'd probably hide under the couch for a month. It's too bad because the wife was completely enchanted by Poe, and I really thought it was going to be a love connection. Oh, well....

Couple Number 2 is meeting Poe today. They already have another Rocket Dog, so Poe would have a doggie friend, which is ideal for him. I'm waiting to hear about whether it's all-systems-go on that.

If they aren't the right match either, there are a dozen or so other inquiries, so I'm confident the perfect home is out there.

And then there are the SEVEN pb puppies we rescued on 9.1 .... but that's for another thread!!!!

zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

HOORAY!!!!

Postby zingara_princepessa » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:26 am

It is with GREAT pleasure that I let you all know that my former foster, Poe-Dog has been ADOPTED!!! He was introduced to Couple Number 2 yesterday, and it was an instant love connection. Poe even liked the HUSBAND (when DH heard this he hung his head all sad-like and said "What was so wrong about me?" Poor guy...)

The couple has another dog, a female who is smaller than Poe but who immediately dominated him, and he loved it. So he has his new Forever Family, including a bossy older sister to make his decisions for him, so it just couldn't be any better (the first thing the female did was to sit on Poe...and he didn't even bat an eye when she did, he just lay there like this was how things were supposed to be!)

I love this dog and I always will. While I wish he had been able to stay with us, in the alternative, I couldn't have asked for a better situation for him. I am going to email the couple who have him and ask them to give the site periodic updates on his progress.

A million miles of THANX to everyone from cc.org who offered me encouragement and support when I was dealing with this special needs animal in my home. I cannot express how grateful I am to you for your kinds words and suggestions. I couldn't have done it without you!

kingalls

Postby kingalls » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:04 am

\:D/ \:D/ =D=
Great news, Jenn! I'm so glad to hear Poe has a forever home now!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh

enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Postby enchantedonyx » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:55 pm

I'm so glad he found a forever home!

Thank you, Jenn, for helping this boy out and for everything you've done for the good of all Chow-kind!
~Renae

<br>

Banner thanks to Wildthings. Sizing thanks to Sweetpea.

Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Postby Layla » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:16 pm

Woohoo for Poe!

I'm really hoping they keep in touch :D
Thank you Elodie!

Return to “Rescued Chow Chow Stories”