CA - Looking for My Very Own ‘Annabelle Lee”

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

update

Post by zingara_princepessa »

Hi Gang -

Our first night went pretty well!

Poe hasn't really come out of the crate and I'm not sure he will for a while. He seemed to be afraid of the stairs last night but we did better this morning. I have been taking him out every three or so hours. Last night he had a nice long pee. Poor guy had been holding it all day. He hasn't had a b.m. yet (or a "deuce" in Big Trucker parlance!) This concerns me but I suppose he will when he's good and ready.

This morning's walk was much longer than the 3am and the 6am. He tugged on the leash to go farther, a very different reaction than last night where he cowered behind me and tried to hide in each doorway we passed.

He's eaten, which is good. The rescue lady gave me a duck & potatoe food for him, but what he really really love are these salami-type thingies that I cut up and put on top of the dry. I can't look at him while he's eating or he will stop and hang his head. It is truly the most tragic thing I have ever seen.

I want to thank everyone for their warmth and support. If only I was actually as wonderful as all your kind words say! I must admit, there's a part of me that despairs if he will ever be a happy dog. I know it's only the first 24 hours, and I can't expect a miracle.

DH is purple-pissed off, but I can see in his eyes every time he looks at this poor wretched, broken sweetie (the dog, not me!)that he is softening.

Ok, I think I need a nap. I didn't sleep a wink, worrying after the dog. I slept in the living room and put the crate where he could see me (crate wouldn't fit in my bedroom!) I had the pleasure of listening to him snore all night, while I fretted after him...hilarious!
Last edited by zingara_princepessa on Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

"DH is purple-pissed off, but I can see in his eyes every time he looks at this poor wretched, broken sweetie (the dog, not me!)that he is softening."

Your Husband will come around its impoosible not to. You probably never read my story about adopting Pekoe but I was like him, I didn't want a dog and complained like hell but that quickly changed.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Thanks for the update. I am no chow expert, I only owned two. My first chow moved in, a rack o' bones. Unhappy, fearful, restless. I fed her canned food for a month. She felt much better with a belly full of food. Maybe Poe will more likely have a BM if he's fed canned food. I don't know if it will work with Poe, it did the trick with my chow girl.

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Poe pooped!!

This must be what it's kinda like to be a real mom. I can't believe I titled this about his b.m., nor can I believe I'm as relieved as I am that he did it! What a dork I am.

We went for a walk. It's still semi-traumatic for him to be on the stairs but once he's outside, he's pretty interested in what's going on. He sniffs everything, looks at people walking by, looks at me to make sure it's ok he exists, etc.

I think he must have ended up on the street because he has a front leg that's turned out in an odd way. It looks as though it's deformed, and he appears to favor it. It could be why he's afraid of the stairs, too. Maybe it hurts him.

Could this be an over-breeding trait, or a birth defect? Lou posits that he may have been kept in a box or something else that didn't allow room for him to grow properly. Any info you good folks may have on this is appreciated.

He snores. It's a riot. He also has dreams. These are the only two instances wherein he makes any noise at all. It's really darling.
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Any possibility that it is a healed over fracture with arthritis?

When I got Troy @ 9 months old he already had a knee that was arthritic which happened probably when he was loose in the streets prior to the pound capturing him. I had his legs x-rayed due to his limp.
Jennifer & Sheena
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Jennifer, you get some rest. You deserve it!!! Everytime I check in on this thread I just cry. This is so amazing, Poe is safe now, thanks to you and the others.

Don't worry about a bm yet, Special went three days when it snowed without one because he didn't like the snow!!! :shock: Give him a few days.

You and Cindy are right, Lou is amazing for sure! :D Everyone involved in this is amazing and Poe is lucky to have you all.
Last edited by chowfrnd88 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

LOL, I saw the title and thought "aw, he's tired...you know pooped!" :D Don't worry, I had a similar post over teh winter! :D

Hugs to Poe, we're thinking about him and sending lots of helaing thoughts. Let me know if there's anything I can do, okay?
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
dchernandez
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dchernandez »

Yay for Poe...I'm sure there will plenty more poops to come... :lol:
Claudia & Riley
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

And plenty of pick up the poop days too! Hoorah for you! :laughloud:
Jennifer & Sheena
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

You can sleep tonight without having to worry,

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

JENN, i am so choked up reading your post. you are an amazing person. poe will come around.you'll see.all the best to all of you. get some rest.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Yay for Poe :D It is really worrying again when you get a new (fur)baby home. I'm doing the same :roll:
Thank you Elodie!
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

I haven't been keeping up with post over the last few days and just now got through this one. I am soooooo happy you were able to spring Poe. It is amazing what a safe, calm environment can do for a dog. I watch a lot of Animal Planet and I have seen them take pit bull fighters and make them into lovable pets...if they can do it with them, I am positive you can with Poe.

Tess sends purple kisses too!
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Hooray for Poe! \:D/ Hopefully he will feel a little better now.

Maybe the vet can offer you more insight as to what is wrong with his leg. Did the shelter say anything about it?

Speaking of vets, I was wondering do his dog bite wounds still need to be treated or are they just healing on their own?
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Yipee!! So now you can start worring about the conditions of poohs. A mommy never runs out of things to worry about their sweet babies. I'm glad he is bonding with you. I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed that he will keep on his course of his rehabilitation process. As many of us in the Bay Area have said before, call us if you need us. We're here right by you.

Big Hugs,
Leonora & mum
PS: Yes, as Linda said, how is his condition, does he need to go back to the vet soon?
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

The bites are pretty much healed up. He'd been at ACC for 2 weeks as of yesterday, so most of them are scabbed over.They gave me no meds to administer. Of course, his ears have big chunks out of them, and they will probably always look a little kattiwampus, but I suppose his hair growing back will help.

They didn't say anything about the leg. I think I'm going to call the rescue lady and see what she has to say about having it checked. Technically, he's still hers, so I feel like I should ask.

BTW...a little while ago, I caught DH chatting Poe up. He was explaining how much better dogs are than cats, and how DH & Poe would have to stick together and band against The Evil Feline Reign currently taking place at our house. (DH pretends to hate my cats, but I catch him talking to them as well!)
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

That is great news about your husband. He is bonding already. You know he will be the one who won't want to give Poe up when adoption time comes. Who knows maybe Poe will stay with you. :wink:

My husband was the same way when we got our first pet, the cat. He didn't want the cat in the house when he is eating. Now the cat has his own seat at the dinner table. My husband told my daughter to move once because he thought Nemo (the cat) might like her seat better. Go figure. :roll:
BigTrucker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BigTrucker »

Your an Angel that came to Poe...a real hero.
chris

Post by chris »

:? What is with the conversations we are having lately... ???
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I think you are Poe's saint! Poor little thing has been through so much. I'm happy to hear that the bites on the legs are healing up.
I agree, I think your DH has a new buddy!

Let us know what you find out about his leg/hip, ok?
I'll keep you all in my chowprayers.

Sherill
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

How wonderful, I am glad Poe when poo and is healing up. ou need to encourage your dh to spend time with Poe, make sure the bonds are strong, then you will know that Poe will have a forever home with you.

david
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

Yay!! \:D/

Who knew that one poop could make so many people happy?
"One small poop for Poe, one giant step for mankind" :lol:

I love reading about his progress, I'd be curious to see what they have to say about leg.
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

It's so nice to hear your DH is warming up to him. You break bread under one roof & this might be the start of a new, improved family :D

Thank you on Mr. EA Poe's conditions update. Re leg, glucosamine & chondroitine should do no harm if you have them at hand.

Love from moi & Purple Kisses from Leonora
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Are you fostering Poe (Charlie?), or is he making himself at home forever? In either case, blessings all around for you and your new addition.
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Auddy-

Because my DH was sooo annoyed that I brought this guy home, I am only using the term "foster" for now. We'll see how it goes, but new evidence from my hubs points to all systems are go. He sat on the floor next to Poe's crate all last evening talking softly to him every so often while we were watching tv. Then this morning Poe took an interest for the first time in one of my cats, Angelo. He approached Angelo is a very non-confrontational way, just sniffing and taking a look. The cat got twitchy and bashed Poe one right in the nose. Poor Poe, he's so shell shocked from his bad experiences, he took off for the safety of the crate and cowered in the back if it.

WELL...this set DH off on a tangent. He gave Angelo a haircut about being mean to the dog, and what a bad host Angelo is (as though the cat could understand a word of it!) It was funny as hell. He was practically shaking his finger at the cat. Then he went over to Poe's crate and continued his speech from last night about the evils of the feline community as a whole. The dog just looks up at him with these tragic eyes. It was really cute.

Should I be worried about the cat thing? I didn't like it that Angelo did that either but he didn't draw blood, and I figure he just is doing what cats do. Anyone out there have any advice?

BTW, we are doing really really well in the poop department. This morning's walk put all of my gastrointestinal and bladder fears to rest! Now I'll stop talking about it, and thanx for your patience, everyone. :D
Last edited by zingara_princepessa on Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.