CA - Looking for My Very Own ‘Annabelle Lee”

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I think others are right on about having your husband feed, walk, etc. the dog. He needs to understand you husband is his master as well. He may still be more attached to you, but as long as he will respect both.
SweetPea Rocks!!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Colonel is a daddy's boy and I'm the odd (wo)man out!
I'm working to win his favor.
I hand feed him both meals per day.
I take him on walks without hubby.
I don't take any smack from him tho. I go about my business in the house and I EXPECT him to fall in line as a family member. So far, he has more than met my expectations.
Thru this effort, he has learned to love me, but I'm the only woman he likes.
The key word here is "effort". Sometimes, it feels like a lot of effort, but the reward is great!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

The others have suggested some great things. That should work. Good luck and hugs to Poe.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Aw, poor little guy. I hope they can do something to help him.

I can't believe he's only less than a year old. I almost cried when I read that. He looked so much older in the photo we saw. He has certainly suffered enough for several lifetimes. Thank God he has you now.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zingara_princepessa »

Thanx for the advice, Kind People. Things are improved a bit today. DH fed Poe dinner tonight and the growling has ceased for the time being. He's going to go walking with us tomorrow morning and then try to take Poe out on his own. Poe is on an antibiotic, and it was DH's idea to wrap the pill inside bacon to get the dog to eat it. Poe lapped that baby up right out of DH's fingers!

I truly appreciate the wisdom of all of you. I wouldn't have had any idea what to do...thank heaven for all of you and this site!
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Yay for you guys. Poe seems smart enough to work this one out :wink:

DH must be kinda interested in him to make the effort with this?????
Thank you Elodie!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

zingara_princepessa wrote:Thanx for the advice, Kind People. Things are improved a bit today.

I truly appreciate the wisdom of all of you. I wouldn't have had any idea what to do...thank heaven for all of you and this site!
One thing about old age, you get wiser with age. I raised a very difficult, bright son. I only had the Dr. Spock book for guidance. We survived and my son has done well for himself. Along came the difficult, bright chow Luna. The trainer only came for one session, she said if you can raise a son by yourself, you can do the same with the chow. It worked. Some comparison. :) Tough love did the trick,
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

I need to say thanks in advance. Jazzy does not do well with men. I've only had 1 man in my life since getting her, and she tolerated him while in my house, but not if she were outside and I was not.

I think Chows have the memory of all memories. Jaz was 12 weeks when I got her from the rescue, she hid and cried if a man or especially adolescent boys, came near her.

It took her a long time to warm up to my son, who is very good with dogs. She's ok with him now, usually. She still has her moments and cringes like hes going to beat her.

And Karin, as for Chows being psychic, yeah, they know what people are thinking and try to take advantage of it! Little buggers
~ Sally
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Unlike Luna who was alpha, Mikki is submissive, she's a real sweetheart.
Mikki is curious like a cat, she will walk up to people, but does not want to be touched. Least of all by men. Yet the home she came from, she had no fear of the woman's husband. Strange little puppy.
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I don't know why Colonel doesn't care for women?
If I were going to play pet psychic, I would say that he was first cared for by a man who gave him lots of love and attention. This man taught him to walk on a leash, fetch, sit, and lay down.
Something must have happened to this man for him to let go of Colonel.
Then, as evidenced at the time we adopted him from the Ohio shelter Colonel had been chained up. I have to assume it was a woman who chained him. Possibly that is why he doesn't favor women.

Salandra,

I had three chows during the many of the years I dated.
I never allowed my dates to meet my chows, because they would have scared my dates off! LOL
Only when someone needed to be scared off, that's when the chows got to join us! :lol: :lol:
Not really, just kidding...well kinda? :lol: :lol: ,
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

Marshall was a bonafide growler and teeth show'r....main thing to have the DH remember is not to take it personally and don't be alarmed or afraid. Best way I found to handle Marsh when he got pissy was to pay it no mind at all, thus diffusing any confrontation. In fact I started laughing it off in front of him, gave him some sweet talk and he didn't know what to think. Maybe even growl back at him, but sweetly. He'd lean his head and just wag his tail like "you don't want to play?" and walk away.

Of course it doesn't mean to not heed any warnings he is giving and ignore the obvious. i.e Don't get bit doing something stupid....
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

I had one horrible date about 7 years ago. Luna met the man first. He was the natural gas furnace repair man. She met him at the door and was fine.
Him and I just didn't click. I tried to figure out a way to get him out of my house. This man was bold, and he lied about a few things about his family life, women talk you know. I wasn't the first woman in the neighbourhood he thought he'd be attractd to.
Luna became impatient. She got up and peed on the carpet by his feet. I gave him a pair of clean socks. It was a good excuse to take Luna for a walk. Ha Ha. I never heard from this man again.

Poor Luna is no more. The colour, dye on the persian carpet went dark. I put a planter on top.

karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

Simon was only 3 months old when DBF and I started seeing each other. First date I answered the door and Simon went BOUNDING into his arms full throttle. They've pretty much felt that way about each other ever since.
I have a pic of the two of them sitting on the couch watching football together... the only thing missing is a beer for Simon...
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

:) :D :) :D
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Whats DBF :oops:
Thank you Elodie!
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

Dear BoyFriend.... sometimes used sarcastically, but mostly affectionately... :lol:
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Of course :oops: Silly me :oops:
Thank you Elodie!
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

Not silly a bit... Mr. DBF was actually reading some posts and asked "Why do you call me DBF?"
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

:lol: I told me DH it only means 'dear husband' never ever anything else :wink:
Thank you Elodie!
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

LOL! Bama! I understand that! Jaz is pretty good at scaring people away and I'm pretty sure if she doesn't like someone I won't either. I listen to her judgment :wink:
~ Sally
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

What I Know About Poe...

Post by zingara_princepessa »

I've had him for two weeks today. Here's what I've learned:

1) In spite of his damaged front legs, he wants to run through the grass.

2) He doesn't like the smell of flowers, and makes a hilarious snuffing out sound when he sniffs one.

3) He's less afraid of doggies and much much more afraid of people. He will now sniff the dogs we encounter and wag his tail at them. Not so, humans.

4) Sometimes he forgets to be frightened of everything and walks with his tail high in the air and curled over his back.

5) Sometimes he lets me cuddle with him.

6) I've given him two baths and he's been a champ both times.

7) He will finally take a treat from my hand, and will play with only one toy, the one Lou gave him when he came home with me.

8. He whimpers when I leave the room (not that I enjoy his distress, but it's nice that he feels some bond to me.)

9) There is The Perfect Place For Poe To Poop, and it remains a mystery to me how he decides where that is every day on our walks. There is no pattern!

10) He growls at the post man every day, "protecting" me.

11) He snores.

12) He whimpers and looks at me whenever one of my cats walk by.

13) He watches tv. Literally.

14) He sleeps as much, if not more, than my geriatric cats. I hope it's because he's so young and not because he's in pain (but I suspect my hopes are incorrect.)

15) I'm going to be really really sad if the ortho vet says there is nothing that can be done for his poor little legs.
Last edited by zingara_princepessa on Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Lovely to hear he is healing under your TLC. As for sleeping, I did ask the site if this seemingly endless sleep w/ necessity(meal, potty, & play) breaks are normal when I first had LEO. Yes, and an overwhelming YES was the answer. She is now 1 1/2, still sleeps just as much :roll:
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Never mind poor little Poe, sounds like you're getting attached to him?

Thanks for the report. He seems like an interesting chow. Another one saved.

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

What wonderful observations. Makes me want to make a list of the observations about my clan. Poe has certainly adopted YOU!
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Sounds like a REALLY GOOD NEW CHOW MOMMY to me :lol: :lol: