Introduction and Tale of 2 Chows

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

Nita F.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nita F. »

Hi everyone,

First, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Nita and I live with my husband in SE Louisiana. I'd like to share the stories of our 2 Chows.

Meka

In May 1993 I came home to find a puppy with lots of wrinkles and 4 sprigs of hair on her booty. I took her to the vet the next day for treatment of sarcoptic mange. They estimated she was about 12 weeks old and a Chow mix. We named her Meka. Soon thereafter her legs started bowing from calcium deficiency. With lots of calcium supplement, good food, and TLC, she pulled through. She grew to be a beautiful red silky Chow. As time went on she was diagnosed with hip displasia and arthritis.

Meka shared her home with a number of cats throughout her lifetime. She hiked with my husband, went canoeing and sailing, and loved to go camping, both in tents and later in a camper.

We had Meka with us for almost 15 years, and lost her in March of this year to kidney failure. Like so many of you, the hole she left in our lives was huge.

Mimi

So after a few weeks, we decided to look on Petfinder.com for another Chow. We found Mimi, approx. 5 years old, at a no-kill shelter in Lafayette. She was a Katrina rescue and had been with them almost 1 year. We visited Mimi at the shelter and my husband fell in love at first sight. Her Alpha personality concerned me due to the other dogs in our families. In spite of that, we adopted her and she has now been with us for almost 6 weeks.

She gets along quite well with the 5 cats already in residence. She has been introduced to other family dogs and hasn't had any problems so far. She is enrolled in an obedience school, but doesn't care if she gets treats if she can get lots of praise for her efforts.

Our Mimi girl is full of love and licking kisses. She has decided she is a Mama's girl in spite of the effort my husband continues to put forth to get her affection. She is well mannered and calm.

We didn't learn about Chows when we had Meka. Mimi is possibly a pure bred Chow, and we felt the need to know more about the breed. I've been reading your posts and appreciate you sharing your experiences and knowledge. Hopefully I will be able to share some of our experiences with Chows as time goes on. I'm sure I will have questions for you too.

Thanks.
Nita
Last edited by Nita F. on Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

Nita, what a beautiful story and what kind hearts you and your husband have!! Congrats on the new edition and post pics, we love pics!!
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

Good for you for rescuing these two babies that needed your love so badly. Of course after fifteen years, I'm sure you know the kind of love and devotion that a rescued Chow has to offer.

I'm so sorry for the loss of Meka. At least she sent you a new Chow to help you heal.

Would love to see pictures of both of them!
~Renae
<br>

Banner thanks to Wildthings. Sizing thanks to Sweetpea.
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Welcome to the forum and what a lovely story! We need lots of pictures! of both furkids!
~ Sally
chris

Post by chris »

How wonderful yet sad. We are all happy you came to this site, we are here to help if you have any questions. and yes, we love pictures! :-)

WELCOME!

Chris n Steel
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

WELCOME

What a great story, there are 2 chows/mixes that have a wonderful life despite their begginings thanks to you and your family

dogdad
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

What a great story. Can't wait to see some pictures!!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Nita F.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nita F. »

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Thanks to Auddymay's photo instructions, I have added my girls to the original post.

Nita
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

They are such pretty girls!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
CharlesBet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CharlesBet »

Dont get put off by the odd one or 2 ppl that have no deckie editcity.

There will be someone who will jump on it.
When days you mostly go out?