Chow abandoned - male owner moved and left her behind

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Jennifer, don't worry about it he dosn't know you or what's going on. this site goes all over the world you can't please everyone. Your new on here but in time you will learn to ignore some of the comments, they ignore me all the time. Just keep checking on Chucky and let us know whats going on.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
jblake334
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jblake334 »

nuke wrote:Here are my thoughts:"My heart is in the right place but my brains are not". Brains? My Brains? or do you mean "My brain is not in the right place?"

Anyway, for everyone else on this forum who has been supporting me I thank you and appreciate your care, concern and support for this dog. I will be going to this lady's house tomorrow morning to check it out. I will let everyone know what is going on. We really need a home for her. I would like to find someone possibly on this website who might be willing to foster her for the rest of May or even adopt her. Anyone can email me at Jblake334@aol.com for any information about what is going on with the dog. At first I thought she was a boy and I started calling her Chucky, so now I need a new name.

The first lady, who had been feeding the dog for a month did not do anything to get the dog off the street and to safety. Sure, her heart is in the right place, but her brains are not.

The lady who tranquilized the dog got the dog into a home in less than 3 days from finding out about it. Which is worse?
jblake334
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jblake334 »

Jeff&Peks wrote:Jennifer, don't worry about it he dosn't know you or what's going on. this site goes all over the world you can't please everyone. Your new on here but in time you will learn to ignore some of the comments, they ignore me all the time. Just keep checking on Chucky and let us know whats going on.
Thank you
jblake334
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jblake334 »

nuke wrote:Why Jennifer is a nutbag:

1. She let a chow live on the street for at least a month, and did nothing other than feed it and post on Crag's list

2. She named a female Chow "Chucky"

3. She is upset that the Chow is now off the street and living with someone who wants the dog to be an inside dog who is allowed to sleep in the bedrooom.

Sorry Jeff, but Jeniffer sounds stupid and irrational.
1. As you can read I attempted to catch the dog on a regular basis without tranquilizing her. I didn't think it was a safe thing to do without a veterinarian present.

2. How do you suspect I even knew whether she was male or female when I first started feeding her and circulating the flyer about her. The name remained the same because that is what everyone knew her by. I learned she was female when I almost caught her in the fenced yard.

3. I never said I was upset that the woman wants the dog to be an inside dog who sleeps in the bedroom. My dog and cats sleep on my bed everynight. I was upset that she tranquilized the dog without informing me. I wanted to meet this lady, see her property/facility and be involved with whatever was going on with the dog and she knew this.

And I am sorry nuke that you have to resort to calling people names like a little child. Why don't you act like an adult and apologize for making these judgements about me when you don't know me and/or all of the details of the situation.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Jennifer -- I agree with Jeff, don't worry about anything negative anyone says. Some people need to go and read the story of trying to catch Sophie who was also on the street for more than a year...when they've been on the street that long, chows get very wary and almost feral it takes a LOT of time and patience to bring them in, and drugging them is not the way to do it.

If she's been out that long, some one else has been feeding her or she would have left the area in search of food.

Hey and how about Charly as a name, like the old perfume, Charly? Since both Chuck and charly are nicknames for charles?

And please keep us posted I'd like to see this girl get a good home as I know many others on this site would.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
jblake334
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jblake334 »

nuke wrote:4. She makes a huge leap and assumes the gated house is "a mess" and that the lady is "hoarding dogs"

Jeniffer has issues.
I can see through the gate - and it is a mess. That doesn't mean it's all bad though. I still have to get inside.

I think you really have issues. Why don't you learn to read a little better. I will cut and paste what I wrote:

For some unknown reason she went behind my back, tranquilized the dog and took her without even talking to me about it. I was really upset. I think the place may be a disaster and she doesn’t want me so see it. Maybe she hiding the fact that she is hoarding dogs.

I was making assumptions as to why she would not inform me that she was going to tranquilize the dog and take it back to her place. She knew I was available and wanted to be involved in what ever was happening with the dog.

Do you understand now? Do I have to make it any clearer for you to understand. If you don't have any positive input about this situation, go do something else.
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Jennifer I just want to reinforce what Jeff and
Victory said. Don't listen to the negative things! I nearly drove myself away from the forum by listening to one negative person. I would have missed out on so many wonderful people and so much information. You are doing a great job trying to befriend a abandoned chow and thats not an easy thing to do. I hope you can convince the lady that has Charly to let you take her.
~ Sally
jblake334
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jblake334 »

nuke wrote:To me, a dog loose on the street when it's getting hot is not good. Plus, it could have been hit by a car or taken to the pound and killed.

The lady who had someone tranquilize the dog may have just as big a heart as any one of us.

All I'm saying is that the first lady did not do much to get the chow off the streets.

I really feel sad about the whole thing, but I'm not thinking that the second lady is evil just by what I've heard third-hand.
Just for your information, I went to the shelter that would have picked her up when she was missing for a few hours. I posted flyers with her picture and big bold letters "DO NOT EUTHANIZE, I WILL ADOPT". The flyer explained my difficulties in catching the dog. In fact, someone else had called animal regulation and they could not catch her.

I am glad she is off the streets, I just hope that she is in a good place and I will find out in the morning. I don't think this lady is necessarily evil, but she is different. She may mean well, she appears to mean well when I talk to her on the phone but she has put me off for two days when I ask to come over and see the chow.
nuke

Post by nuke »

Jennifer, don't take what I have said personally. I don't know you and I was just trying to make a point, mostly directed at Jeff, not you.

The point is that we have no way of knowing what the motivations of you or the other lady are or were. I was trying to provide a counter balance for what I saw as a slanted opinion against the chow "napper".

Hopefully this poor chow will be okay.

It sounds like you have a big heart and really care about this dog, and I believed that from the very start.
jblake334
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jblake334 »

Jeff&Peks wrote:I may be as crazy as both woman but I don't see rich in any of this, If you look at the picture, below Chucky is gang graffiti on the street then if you look above Chucky you see a wrought iron gated house, In LA a wrought iron gated house and a gated community doesn't mean money it means security bars to keep the neighbors out of your yard so you can sleep at night with out getting robbed or killed, from what I can see from the picture this isn't the best of neighborhoods.

As for sedating Chucky, all well respected gangs know how to sedate to steal a dog for what ever reason. lady number one lives within walking distance from lady number two, lady number one says lady number two has a lot of dogs and thinks she is hording for profit.

To me Jennifer is thinking typical LA, you think the worse until you find out forsure what is going on, I'm probably thinking the same as Victory, this whole thing sounds like someone is up to no good at Chuckey's expense. If the lady tells me were she is I will just go over to see what's going on, if it is animal hording or has any sign of abuse and Chucky is in a dump then I will try to get the chow out of there or call animal control. Like the LA councilman just said LA has zero tolerance for Animal abuse and the parties involved will be prosecuted to the fullest.

Believe me there is no rich lady or rich community involved in any of this.
Exactly Jeff, she is not rich by any means. I live 15 miles from sylmar. It's my parents who live there, I grew up there. I would just go over there everyday and night to feed the chow girl. My parents live a few blocks away from where the chow was hanging out. She was always on the sidewalk leaning against the fence in the background of the pictures because there was a dog in that yard. Sometimes she would lay in the grass under a tree on the sidewalk. But she was very street smart, never out in the street. She had to be, to have made it for a year on the streets.
nuke

Post by nuke »

jblake334 wrote:
nuke wrote:
And I am sorry nuke that you have to resort to calling people names like a little child. Why don't you act like an adult and apologize for making these judgements about me when you don't know me and/or all of the details of the situation.
Judgements? You are the one who judged. You judged the chow "napper". You called her "names" and implied that her house was "a mess" and that she "hoarded" dogs.

Using logic, I would bet that the evil dog napper did more to help the dog than you did, even though you have a good heart.
jblake334
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jblake334 »

nuke wrote:
jblake334 wrote:
nuke wrote:
Judgements? You are the one who judged. You judged the chow "napper". You called her "names" and implied that her house was "a mess" and that she "hoarded" dogs.

Using logic, I would bet that the evil dog napper did more to help the dog than you did, even though you have a good heart.
Nuke, you have no logic, all I asked for was an apology for making judgements about me and the situation I am dealing with. You are not here, you don't know the details of what is going on, and you clearly do not know me. I just stated that I did not call her names or judgements about her. I saw through her fence and I did see a mess in the front portion of the yard.

I never named her a chow napper, I said she may have taken the dog behind my back because she didn't want me to see what was going on, on her property. For example, I said: It may be a mess or she may be hoarding dogs.

If you read what I wrote carefully that is all it was. And like I said earlier, please go do something else if you don't have something positive to write about.

Come on, what do you expect, I come on the website and see you calling me a nutbag, and listing reasons why, saying I am irrational, that my brain is not in the right place and more. How do you expect me to react to that. I would not write things like that about someone who is trying their best to help an abandoned dog.
jblake334
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jblake334 »

nuke wrote:
jblake334 wrote:
nuke wrote:

besides that is not calling her "names".
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I'm back...so sorry I had to check out for a while...I wasn't feeling well.

Jennifer,
I'm so glad you have made it to this site. I suggested you come here, because I felt you would get the support you need here. I'm sorry if you felt I abandoned you and this effort to get Chucky to safety. I am feeling better now.

I think it's wonderful that you are going to the lady's house tomorrow. Hopefully, pieces of this crazy puzzle will come together after your visit.
Since we don't know exactly what to expect,
I hope you will be careful.
Let us know what we can do to help.

Jennifer, don't be offended by any negative remarks, ok, not everyone on here knows the story. You're doing a great job, and we're here to help you in any way we can.

Thanks,
Sherill

Feel free to email me or pm me.
Last edited by bama on Wed May 09, 2007 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
jblake334
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jblake334 »

Are we calling Chucky, Charly now? Is that feminine enough?

I just wanted to let everyone know that the lady who has Chucky/Charly has cleaned up her front yard area. Tomorrow she is expecting someone who is possibly interested in adopting her. I am going to show up and let her know that the man could not come this early and I just wanted see how Charly/Chucky was doing. I'll bring some toys and treats and after visiting with Charly I will ask her to show me around her place, and see her other dogs. I kind of think she means well. But, I don't think she does alot of adopting. I think, and I am guessing, what happens is that she picks up strays and they just live there for the rest of their lives. Today, she even said on the phone that "it would be best to find her a good home because she has so many dogs, that there is not enough attention to go around".

I do have a plan and it is to get her out of there fast. I am working with a woman, who will basically adopt her out. Immediately, if the conditions require it. If not, I am concerned that she will get attached to Charly and not want to adopt her out later. I think the sooner, the better.

I have to get more info, but there is another highly recommended rescue that is considering taking her in but we are still waiting on an answer.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Jennifer, I have been following this, and I just want to say THANK YOU for helping this lost and lonely girl =D=
I'm sure she would have gone hungry and thirty if it had not been for you and probably would not have survived as long as she has out there without you......
Like Bama said, Please be very careful tomorrow since you do not know this lady or who else may be in her house. I wish you luck and I will keep you in my prayers.
Again Thank You for caring about her.
Vicki
jblake334
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jblake334 »

vicster605 wrote:Jennifer, I have been following this, and I just want to say THANK YOU for helping this lost and lonely girl =D=
I'm sure she would have gone hungry and thirty if it had not been for you and probably would not have survived as long as she has out there without you......
Like Bama said, Please be very careful tomorrow since you do not know this lady or who else may be in her house. I wish you luck and I will keep you in my prayers.
Again Thank You for caring about her.
Vicki
Thank you, I will be careful. I just hope all this stuff she is telling me is true. I have good instincts, and I am not right 100% of the time but I am right alot of the time. I have gotten the wrong impression before of someone, that is why I wanted to meet with her. And when she did this whole thing without telling me, my mind did start to run wild.

I will get Charly/Chucky. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon. I want to get her out this weekend. But I know that it wont be as easy as 1 2 3, you know what I mean? I can tell she is not going to make it easy.
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

This all sounds very strange and unsettling to me. I hope the chow is okay, but I'll feel better about it when someone gets some verification on that.

Jennifer, you're doing a great job.

Let us know what happens.
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Jennifer, kudos to you but do be careful. Is there any chance of liasoning w/ Jeff to see this woman? Chow is important but you are important, too. Do remember that.

Wishing you all the luck, Leonora & mum [-o|
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Jennifer, be careful and thank you so much

David
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

Hey Jennifer! I've been following this too and I'll look forward to hearing what is going on...
YAY TO YOU for being on top of it!!! :-)

Jen
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I haven't been able to check in in a few days, a lot has developed! :shock: Yes, Jennifer please be careful. I think Leo's Mum had a fantastic idea-- maybe you could liason with Jeff and the two of you could check it out (besdies then you'll be the first person to see what Jeff looks like! :D ). I'll be looking on the website all day to see your update on your visit. Poor sweet Chuky/Charly, I pray that she is okay. Thank you so much for making such a huge effort to save her!
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

I'm anxious to hear how everything went. If this gal thinks she may have a home for her, encourage her to be very picky about the person taking this Chow. We don't want to see Chucky ending up in a worse situation.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I've offered to go out with Jennifer but the lady won't let anyone on the property unless its before 9am in the morning. The lady told Jennifer to come out this morning so Jennifer went out then the lady wouldn't let her in so she didn't get to see the Chow. the lady told her to call again tomorrow before 9 again.

I just called the lady with the Chow to talk about adopting it but all I get is some guy that said they would call me back. All we are trying to do is see the Chow and see that it is ok and get it adopted but if she won't let anyone on the property or even see the Chow there's not much we can do.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

If that chow has lived on the streets for a year it could be it wont even let her near it. Maybe Jennifer can put in a good word for you, convince her that this Chow will need to be worked with, socialized and with your experience and understanding of Chows you would be the better person. Is it money she's wanting?