Chow abandoned - male owner moved and left her behind

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

chooseachinesedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

I hope the darling is ok...

Post by chooseachinesedog »

Its been so hot all day - I hope the craigslister is leaving her water too!

Any idea how old she is? I didn't see that in the post and can't tell from the pictures.

I'd propose to name her Soledad in the meantime - Sylmar is sort of close to Soledad Canyon and means lonliness...
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Chowfriends,
I WAS able to an email thru to the lady, whose name is Jennifer.
Here is Jennifer's response to my email:

Yesterday

A woman contacted me and she made arrangements for Chucky to be sent to a wonderful rescue in Atescadero (3 hrs away) at the end of May. This rescue was also recommeded and approved by Joan at adoptachowla. We just needed to raise at least $100 and gas money.

Last Weekend

A lady responded to Chucky’s flyer last Saturday, she said she found Chucky while looking for her other dog who got out of the yard, she lived nearby. She wanted to catch Chucky by tranquilizing her with acepromazine and then placing the dog in the bathroom for an undetermined amount of time. I felt uncomfortable with her and didn't go through with her persistent plans. I wanted more time to check her out and see what her reputation was. She would not take no for an answer. She persisted on doing this on Sunday. She was relentless. I figured she was going to do it anyway, so I was going to meet her there. Sunday morning she calls and says she ran out of the medication and would not be able to do it that day. I never heard from her again. I had a feeling she would do it on her own and she did on Monday night.

LAST NIGHT

I went to feed Chucky at my regular time 7:00pm and she wasn't there. I knew something was wrong and started driving all around the area. I found this guy with a veterinary shirt on pulling the dog along the street while it was obviously tranquilized. I stopped and said, "You caught her?" and he said yes, admitted to the tranquilizers when I asked but he wasn't comfortable with all my questions. I got out of the car and said I want this dog, I have a rescue for it, I have been taking care of it for a month or so now. I said, "Where are you taking her?" He said, "To a rescue". I told him I talked to this lady, and he asked if I was the one who put out the flyer about Chucky. He ended up calling the lady and speaking in spanish, so I could not understand, when they both speak english. He got off the phone and said, “She wants the dog and will find a home for it, she will call you later”. He then put the dog in the car and drove into her gated property.

She tells me now that if I can find a home for Chucky that will allow her to be an inside the house dog, she will give the dog up for adoption.

Jennifer
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

:shock: This sounds very odd, am I the only one that thinks this sounds bad?
Thank you Elodie!
chooseachinesedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

"rescue" or not - that is horrible!

Who has posession of the dog? The people who drugged her?

Can Jennifer call the lady and verify that she has the dog? What is the name of the "rescue" that they were taking her to?

This gave me the chills to read... way too odd of an approach to rescue an animal, much less a people shy chow!

Can you imagine the chow waking up after being drugged? My experience with chows says they don't like not being in control of themselves, and I best this one has been quite traumatized during this horrible experience!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

It sounds stranger then hell to me but then again your dealing with LA people, they don't think nor act like anyone else in the US, this is a world all in its own.

Bama if you can get the lady to find out where the Chow is I will go see whats up or have the lady say she has someone interest (me) and I can meet up with her or we can figure out something, Some wierd frecko has taken off with this Chow.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Tue May 08, 2007 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I refrained from expressing my opinion. I wanted to see if anyone else besides me smelled a rat?
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Jeff&Peks wrote:Some wierd frecko has taken off with this Chow.
I totally agree! It makes you think twice about putting flyers out etc for found chows. What on earth is she planning on doing with this poor Chow?

Jeff - great idea. Just don't go alone :evil:
Thank you Elodie!
chooseachinesedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Sounds like a scam!

A chownapping for sure! But unfortunately, it sounds like too many bad rescue orgs I've seen around LA... snatch n grab a chow chow.. then turn around and "adopt" it out for cash.

Bama - Do post if you hear more about the chow?
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Jeff,

I pm'd Jennifer's phone number to you.
Hopefully, you can find out what has happened to this chowgirl???
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

OMG I am in tears, the poor chow. I will be sure to give my furkids extra hugs tonight

David
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

There is a dog rescue in Atascadero, California: http://www.dogrescue.bigstep.com/

Perhaps that is the rescue network the alleged chow "napper" was referring to?

Jeff, you've had contact with Joan at Adopt-a-chow LA regarding Mr. Cheeks. Maybe you can verify with her if the alleged chow "napper" is telling the truth since her name was put into the mix.

Gas expense from Sylmar to Atascadero I would guess would be $50.00 (six hour round trip, straight freeway).

Let's hope the rich lady in her gated home who called her vet hospital to send over a vet tech to shoot up a chow in hiding with ACE is not really another wackadoodle but more of a samaritin of sorts. Her rehoming fee request isn't too unreasonable. But a chow on ACE could be unreasonable. Good luck to the rich lady.

Keep us posted, Jeff.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

nonononononono! this sounds very bad. If it were here in the midwest that this happened I'd be thinking they took her as a bait dog or something. i hope we can get her away from these people...Poor baby,
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I just called her and left a message, see this shows LA thinking, the lady will respond to someone 3000 miles away but won't respond to two e-mails 30 miles away. If she is suspecious about all this and knows the area the lady lives in she can have animal control check it out but I would like to go see who all these wacko's are.

Lou, Sylmar is north east LA, its an ok area but far from rich. Its about the last town you hit when leaving LA on the 5 going to Velencia, after that your on the 5 heading to SF.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Tue May 08, 2007 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
chooseachinesedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

animal control

If Jennifer calls animal control to check out this lady and her vet - won't they pull the animal from the house and put her in the shelter?

I wonder if she's done this to other animals?
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

OMG I am SOOO NOT BELIEVING all of this!!!
I'm starting to believe you about LA, Jeff......
Hope you or someone finds this poor scared Chow Girl [-o|
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

The whole situation is really scary. I hope the poor girl is okay. I wonder how big the gated community is...whether the lady would be very easy to find again. It definitely sounds like she was out looking for her originally and already had plans for her.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
nuke

Post by nuke »

Here are my thoughts:

The first lady, who had been feeding the dog for a month did not do anything to get the dog off the street and to safety. Sure, her heart is in the right place, but her brains are not.

The lady who tranquilized the dog got the dog into a home in less than 3 days from finding out about it. Which is worse?
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

:shock: I just don't know how to react to this thread! I am so disappointed and saddened that this sort of thing actually happens! :(
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

nuke wrote:Here are my thoughts:

The first lady, who had been feeding the dog for a month did not do anything to get the dog off the street and to safety. Sure, her heart is in the right place, but her brains are not.

The lady who tranquilized the dog got the dog into a home in less than 3 days from finding out about it. Which is worse?
Her intentions might be ok But sneaking to the house, drugging the Chow then dragging the Chow down the street drugged only to be locked in a bathroom doesn't sound like good intentions to me plus the supposed vet tech talking in Spanish so the first lady couldn't understand and avoiding the first ladies questions like he did, doesn't sound to good either. Hopefully all is well but like someone said a drugged Chow waking up in a strange place with strange people especially if locked in the bathroom isn't going to be to happy. From what has been posted it sounds like the Chow would have been better off with the first lady.

And its 9pm still no return call or e-mail so I guess all the nuts involved prefer to deal with people 3000 miles away.

ImageImage
nuke

Post by nuke »

To me, a dog loose on the street when it's getting hot is not good. Plus, it could have been hit by a car or taken to the pound and killed.

The lady who had someone tranquilize the dog may have just as big a heart as any one of us.

All I'm saying is that the first lady did not do much to get the chow off the streets.

I really feel sad about the whole thing, but I'm not thinking that the second lady is evil just by what I've heard third-hand.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Well hopefully your right.

The Chow wasn't living on the street it was living at its home where it was abandoned, the first lady was feeding it and trying to find a home for it. The Chow wouldn't go home with her.

ImageImage
nuke

Post by nuke »

Jeff&Peks wrote:Well hopefully your right.

The Chow wasn't living on the street it was living at its home where it was abandoned, the first lady was feeding it and trying to find a home for it. The Chow wouldn't go home with her.
Yeah, I hope I am right too. It's just a sad situation.

The craigs list add stated that the dog was "living" across the street from her home where she was abandoned. The pictures show that she was just on the sidewalk, alone. I'm thinking that she was very much on the street.

If I were the second lady, I would be thinking that the first lady was nuts for letting that poor dog be on the street for a month, even though I would understand that she really was trying to do the right thing.

Jeff, I think it's great that you get involved in these things. Hopefully everything will work out well for this poor baby.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Jeff&Peks wrote: ...Lou, Sylmar is north east LA, its an ok area but far from rich. Its about the last town you hit when leaving LA on the 5 going to Velencia, after that your on the 5 heading to SF.
I would say the place is still fairly wealthy. Not extravagent like BH, Bel Air, Malibu, the Holmby Hills, etc... but a middle-class, upper-middle class income type of neighborhood. I had a classmate in college who grew up in Sylmar. So I knew the basic area the city was near when I looked up the listing on craigslist LA last night.

I do agree with Nuke on this situation. But we don't know the whole story, just bits and pieces. I know it doesn't sound ideal that a chow might be harbored in a strange bathroom, coming off ACE, but to me it is better than the girl being alone and out in the streets for the heat to get her, cars to hit her and other dogs to attack her... never mind what wayward teens could do to her. BTW, Chucky... not really a feminine name to give a chow girl.

So, I hold hope that she is in good hands tonight.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

The lady just e-mailed me, I told her if she needed any help to let me know here is her e-mail.

I'm not sure if you got the story forwarded to you or not. I will be on this lady and she knows it. She finally agreed to allow me to come whenever I want and I will. This was after I spoke with her for an hour. I will be over there all the time. I need to see what is happening.

TODAY

I never heard from her. I called her several times and she would not answer the phone or any messages I left. I then decided to use another phone, so she wouldn’t recognize the phone number and sure enough she answered. I felt that I had to befriend this woman to get involved with the dog. For some unknown reason she went behind my back and tried to take the dog without even talking to me about it. I was really upset. I decided to praise her and tell her how great she is and all that. Now she is starting to be nicer, I said I would help her clean, and watchover the dog when she couldn’t, I said I had people that wanted to donate any items she needed. I just told her anything I could think of. Now, she tells me that if I can find a home for Chucky that will allow her to be an inside dog, where she can sleep in the bedroom, she will give the dog up for adoption. I think the place is a disaster and she doesn’t want me so see it. I am sure she is hoarding dogs. This is not where I want Chucky to stay. I will be going over there on a regular basis and when Chucky is ready I will take her for walks and out to see other people. I want to get her well socialized and cleaned up pretty and hopefully in not too long be able to take her to adoption fairs over the weekends. Find her a good home. I think I have to do it this way because she is just not willing to give me the dog. I don’t know why she wants this dog so bad. She has so many dogs. Anyway, I am trying to think positive and hope Chucky will make progress soon and I can get her out of there.

Thank you for caring about Chucky,

Jennifer

ImageImage
nuke

Post by nuke »

Jeff&Peks wrote:
Now, she tells me that if I can find a home for Chucky that will allow her to be an inside dog, where she can sleep in the bedroom, she will give the dog up for adoption.

I think the place is a disaster and she doesn’t want me so see it. I am sure she is hoarding dogs. This is not where I want Chucky to stay.
Jennifer sounds like a nutbag.