Chow abandoned - male owner moved and left her behind

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Jennifer told the lady all that and I don't think money has ever been mentioned, as far as I know nothing has been talked about. Jennifer has told her everything just to get in to see the Chow but no one can get past the front gate. The lady with the Chow avoids everyone and says nothing except call back tomaorrow.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

OMG, It sure makes you wonder how the Chow is acting....ya know???? Since she had to be tranqulized to begin with. You take living on the streets for a yr. and all of that, no human contact, its a small wonder this Chow girl doesn't eat her up......and then you wonder what she is doing to her, to prevent that.........{Jennifer couldn't get close to her even when feeding and watering her}
You can't get the Humane Society to go in and check just by saying she tranqulized her without a Vets. care {on her own}and your concerned about the welfair of an animal??? Not her dog, and I can't believe people can just go around DRUGING animals and they wouldn't want to get involved.
At least you can find out if the Chow and the others are being cared for. Or did I miss something here????
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Animal Control won't go out unless you go in a file a complaint, I think its getting to that point.

Jennifer and myself called and told animal control about druging the dog then driving away, what I got was, Ok so what do you want us to do thats a personal issue.

LA folks, third world City, Its not civilized here you have to do it on your own.

Actually I take part of that back, West Valley animal control went out in Minutes after I found some dead dogs in a backyard last year.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

I wasn't going to post this but I changed my mind. Here is an article about this home. It's an OLD news report but it will give you some background of the home and what goes on there..

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/WOMAN+FOU ... a083963448
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

OMG!!! :shock: :shock:
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Cherie, this is the same house??? Is this a relative or something?? 40 dogs??? Isn't there laws about how many dogs one can own??? GEEEZ.......
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I read the article, very interesting.

It seems she has the heart to take in the dogs and care for them, but there is a problem when it comes to adopting them out. Why is this problem popping up more and more often?
Is it because with adoptions, one must deal with the public?
Is it because with adoptions, efforts need to be made toward checking out the potential adoptor's?
In the meantime, these poor dogs are WAITING forever for a fur-ever home!

Does anyone know if this lady has a website?
How does one go about adopting a pet from her?
So sad.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I just got off the phone with the Lady that has the Chow. I talked to her for about an hour, she seems ok to me. She was telling me that that Chow is really loving, has its own area on the patio and licks and gets along great with the other dogs. She says she trying not to bother the Chow just give her time to get use to things then she will try and groom her. She says the Chow loves her matteras and sits on it all day just watching what is going on.

I have an appointment to see the Chow sunday. The way she questioned me and wants to see how I live and my house, she seems fine. If everything is true the way she is talking the Chow is in good hands.

I told her what to feed her, no more ACE and some other Chow stuff, she wrote it all down and was interested in what i was telling her.

She sounds like an older woman that really loves dogs but maybe one of those that get in way over there heads with two many animals, The trouble is she wants to keep them all and not adopt them out.

ImageImage
jblake334
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jblake334 »

So she said it was ok to come by anytime before 9:00am. I got there about 7:55am. I called her from the cell and she starts telling me about how everything is going. She said she introduced Charly to another loving dog and things were good there and that she and Charly were sitting out on the patio together this morning. Then I said I wanted to come by and see her and she started telling me she was in a hurry this morning and had to leave at 8:30am. I said well I am right in front of your house. She was suprised and repeated back to me "You are in front of my house?". I said yes can I come in and see the dog. Then she said she had to get in the shower and that one of her helpers had quit and she only has one lady there caring for everything. She wanted me to come back Tuesday. I said "Tuesday", thats too long. I told her that there are a few people that are interested in adopting the chow and if she needs help on her property, let me help her. I said I only have another week until I will be working full time and I can help you get everything together because people want to come out and see the dog. I had to keep repeating let me help you clean up. She finally said ok, come back tomorrow morning. I told her I had food and other stuff for the dog, I wanted to see her. She wouldn't even come out. She said leave it at the gate. I keep trying to be nice to befriend her but I am getting pretty frustrated. I will go back tomorrow at 7:00am and I will persist on her letting me in there. If she makes more excuses I will just wait there until she comes out in her car and I will get out of the car and run up to her car and get her to let her helper show me in to see the dog. I am sick of being told tomorrow, tomorrow.

I agree with Jeff all the things she says on the phone sound like she is an ok and caring person. I don't think she has ever had people wanting to come on her property and she is nervous about it. Of, course I am guessing, but she did keep saying she only had one helper, like there was alot to do. So if I am offering for free to help her, why would she refuse this unless she is concerned about my reaction to what ever the place looks like or how many dogs there are. I think she may be afraid I will be shocked and call animal regulation. I can't figure any other reason. I can tell she has started to clean up the area near the front gate but it is a 2 acre rectangular peice of property. It is not wide from the front, but long toward the back.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Jennifer,
Maybe she is leary of you wanting to help her :lol: :lol: She probably has never had anyone offer to help her for free or ever. Living in a big city if someone came up to me and offered to help me if I just let them in, well, I would think they were weard and lock my doors and gates :lol: :lol: If she is older she may be just leary of strangers.......trying to give her the benefit of the dought.............how did I do??? :lol:I guess as Jeff said, what options do you have then to try and do things on her terms :roll: You'll have to try and win her trust.....frustrating as hell I'm sure :roll:

Jeff, I guess I had a different perception of what animal control does...........
Oh, SO they will run on out if there is dead animals :roll: :roll:
jblake334
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jblake334 »

vicster605 wrote:Jennifer,
Maybe she is leary of you wanting to help her :lol: :lol: She probably has never had anyone offer to help her for free or ever. Living in a big city if someone came up to me and offered to help me if I just let them in, well, I would think they were weard and lock my doors and gates :lol: :lol: If she is older she may be just leary of strangers.......trying to give her the benefit of the dought.............how did I do??? :lol:I guess as Jeff said, what options do you have then to try and do things on her terms :roll: You'll have to try and win her trust.....frustrating as hell I'm sure :roll:

Jeff, I guess I had a different perception of what animal control does...........
Oh, SO they will run on out if there is dead animals :roll: :roll:
The flyer that I had sent out and others were sending said in big bold letters "I will volunteer for your oganization".
I wanted to be involved in helping Charly through this adjustment/transition or whatever else the poor girl is going through. The lady is gone all day and has one helper. I told her in previous conversations that I would take care of Charly while she was working. I know Charly needs alone time but she also needs someone there during part of the day. At least I am familiar to Charly and I think even if I just sat there with her, it would be good for her. It's so frustrating because she is right there, so close and knows how I feel about the dog and won't let me in.
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

The lady who has the chow now sounds like a hoarder. They often mean really well, but also often have some mental issues, which could be why she is showing very paranoid behaviors. Unless Animal Control gets involve, really, the only option is to try to build a relationship with her...and that may take several frustrating trips to talk to her.

I know Jeff has set up a time to meet with her, and Jennifer you were going to try again tomorrow. I wonder if she would be more comfortable bring the chow out to the front yard, instead of you coming in. If she is a hoarder, she is probably a little unstable, it probably scares her someone wanting to come in her house, no matter how nice they seem.

It definitely sounds like she started out with a rescue, but things have definitely gotten out of control, which is not really that uncommon.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I was actually thinking the same thing as the others. She may be a hoarder. She may be paranoid that you are going to turn her in if she lets you on her property. Maybe you can convince her to bring Charly to the gate so you can give her some treats and "assess her for your potential adopter". Then you can see what kind of condition Charly is in at least. From the pictures you took of Charly, she needed a bath badly and probably to be shaved but at the very least brushed. Maybe you can convince the woman to let you do that. Are you in a position to take Charly into your home should the woman say that you can have her? When talking with her, remind her that finding Charly a home will leave her with more space to help other dogs that are in need.
nuke

Post by nuke »

Jeff&Peks wrote:I just got off the phone with the Lady that has the Chow. I talked to her for about an hour, she seems ok to me. She was telling me that that Chow is really loving, has its own area on the patio and licks and gets along great with the other dogs. She says she trying not to bother the Chow just give her time to get use to things then she will try and groom her. She says the Chow loves her matteras and sits on it all day just watching what is going on.

I have an appointment to see the Chow sunday. The way she questioned me and wants to see how I live and my house, she seems fine. If everything is true the way she is talking the Chow is in good hands.

I told her what to feed her, no more ACE and some other Chow stuff, she wrote it all down and was interested in what i was telling her.

She sounds like an older woman that really loves dogs but maybe one of those that get in way over there heads with two many animals, The trouble is she wants to keep them all and not adopt them out.
That's some good news, Jeff. At the very least, the poor chow seems to be safe.

Looking forward to updates.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Not sure what the time difference is, but does anyone know how today went????? Or how it is going????
Jennifer, I hope you have LUCK today.........
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

It doesn't look like anyone is going to be able to get in and see the Chow, I made an appointment for Sunday then the lady called and cancelled she told me to come out today instead so I just called her to go out, she cancelled again and told me to call tomorrow. This is the same thing Jennifer is running into. The lady won't let anyone in, She makes appointments then cancels at the last minute.

I'm going to have to tell her if she dosn't Let me in to see the Chow I will have to call Animal control and get them involved, if she is so worried about her property she won't want them involved.

ImageImage
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

How frustrating :evil: The chow needs a through grooming for one, even before the vet visits. I doubt the lady has the time & will/love to look after it properly. I've only got one chow to look after and she still gets mats behind her ears, so for me even having 2 is hoarding.. :oops: Thank you for the update, Jeff. I wonder if the befriending tactic of Jennifer's would get her through the gate sometime in the future... Seems like we need lots of patience w/ this one....
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Has anyone heard from Jennifer today??? Hope she has better luck............
Jeff, that sucks....I don't understand the put offs if she doesn't want to keep her appointments WHY MAKE THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE or do you think she thinks you'll just go away if she keeps putting you off????
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Thanks for the update Jeff. I hope you or Jennifer can get into see Chuky/Charly soon.

As for the animal control to say "it's a personal issue!" :shock: :shock: What the... how in the world...I just don't get it. How is that a personal issue? Part of the job of ac is to ensure the safety of the animals, how could some random person running around out there drugging chows and dragging them into their vehicle be a personal issue? :shock:
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Now the lady calls me a few minutes ago and ask why I didn't come today after who ever answered her phone told me I couldn't come today. getting weird to me.

I saw Jennifer on earlier but she didn't post anything. Jennifer was supposed to call me and let me know if she got in early this morning or talked to the lady but hasn't called.

ImageImage
Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Haley »

oh jees. thats so sad. =[
she looks like she would be so gorgeous is someone would just bathe her brush her out and give her a bowl of food.
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Jeff, that is so odd. Did you confirm the lady's name when you called? Did you speak to the MD sister of that article initially or someone else, like the helper? So is the MD the hoarder or is the helper the hoarder...? Or does she suffer from having multiple personalities...? It's getting too spooky for me. Do be careful. Have you heard more from Jennifer? I'd like to hear she is OK.
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Or does she suffer from having multiple personalities...?
This is what I've been starting to wonder. She sounds a bit irrational most of the time.

Jeff you and Jennifer do be careful if you do make it inside. Perhaps better if you get her to bring Charly out to the gate?
~ Sally
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I think vicster605 has it right, there'snothing wrong with the lady she just figures sooner or later we will just go away. The Lady is a Doctor, I don't knoe what kind of Doctor but she does have that Dr. title.

ImageImage
nuke

Post by nuke »

Based on all the information we have at this time, does anyone feel that the chow is in more danger after being taken off the street by this woman?

The way I view it:

The chow had apparently been surviving on it's own on the street for a year, and being groomed was the least of her worries.

Now the chow is in a fenced in home with somebody who seems to have a reputation of being a dog lover, and a history of taking good car of dogs.

Sorry, I still don't see what the big problem is.