Chow abandoned - male owner moved and left her behind

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Nuke we more or less came to that conclusion long ago that the Chow is most likely tempoaeraly ok, The name of the game now is to get to the Chow MAKE SURE he is ok and try to get some pictures and get him adopted. A Chow living in a House with 100 other dogs or even 10 or 20 dogs is not my idea of a happy life and home for a Chow. I do know for a fact the Lady knows nothing about Chows, the Chow hasn'r ate or gone to the bathroom sence she has had him, and no one is there for the Chow, they are to busy with the other dogs and the new dog/dogs coming in to give the attention and care he needs, So know he is not better off except for being traped in a house with a roof on it.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
nuke

Post by nuke »

I just want to add that I have exchanged some private messages with Jennifer, and she seems like a very nice, honest person. I think she is a very caring, wonderful person.

Not many people would take the time and effort that she has taken in order to make sure that this poor chow was taken care of.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

nuke wrote:I just want to add that I have exchanged some private messages with Jennifer, and she seems like a very nice, honest person. I think she is a very caring, wonderful person.

Not many people would take the time and effort that she has taken in order to make sure that this poor chow was taken care of.
We also said that along time ago when you said she was a nutbag.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Sat May 12, 2007 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
nuke

Post by nuke »

Jeff&Peks wrote:Nuke we more or less came to that conclusion long ago that the Chow is most likely tempoaeraly ok, The name of the game now is to get to the Chow MAKE SURE he is ok and try to get some pictures and get him adopted. A Chow living in a House with 100 other dogs or even 10 or 20 dogs is not my idea of a happy life and home for a Chow. I do know for a fact the Lady knows nothing about Chows, the Chow hasn'r ate or gone to the bathroom sence she has had him, and no one is there for the Chow, they are to busy with the other dogs and the new dog/dogs coming in to give the attention and care he needs, So know he is not better off except for being traped in a house with a roof on it.
Jeff, come on. Are you serious?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Couldn't be more serious, why you have a problem with what I said. That Chow is not living in the right environment or being taken care of like a Chow should be that has been on the street for a year, She needs to see a vet. I have talk to Jennifer and the lady with the Chow everyday for the past week some times twice aday, i don't let her off the phone untill I know how the Chow is doing. she isn't eating nor has she gone to the bathroom. She said she is a very loving Chow and she sits in the den on a matteras all day watching the other dogs. I had to spend over an hour with her telling her about food and a Chows bathroom habits.

Oh and by the way, the lady dosn't even know if its a male or female Chow. Thats how much attention it is getting.

ImageImage
nuke

Post by nuke »

Jeff&Peks wrote: A Chow living in a House with 100 other dogs or even 10 or 20 dogs is not my idea of a happy life and home for a Chow. I do know for a fact the Lady knows nothing about Chows, the Chow hasn'r ate or gone to the bathroom sence she has had him, and no one is there for the Chow, they are to busy with the other dogs and the new dog/dogs coming in to give the attention and care he needs, So know he is not better off except for being traped in a house with a roof on it.

This must be a super smart chow. It does not eat or "go to the bathroom" now that it is off the street. On the street, the chow had a great time and ate/defecated at will, plus it was well cared for.

Now that the chow is living with a thousand other dogs in a fenced in home with a person who loves dogs, being fed and loved, it's life is in danger
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

I'm sorry, and don't want to cause waves, but nuke, you are pretty much being a jerk here. Since you are on this site, I assume you have, have had, Chows. Then you should know that they are, must be, treated differently than other dogs. They do require more attention, and any animal that has been on the street as long as this chow really needs to be seen by a vet. Doesn't matter if this lady, or Jenn, or anyone else, has possession of her, someone needs to get her to a vet.

No, she hasn't seen a vet while living on the streets. That's all the more reason to get her to one.

If she hasn't eaten, or gone potty since this lady got her, that may be a sign of health issues. Guess what, needs to be seen by a vet.

This lady may have rescued her from the street, but Jenn was already in the process of doing that, without drugs.

If this lady is so wonderful, why won't she let anyone else see the Chow? Why won't she let anyone come into her yard?

Get a grip nuke. I think you are picking an argument for arguments sake, and really don't have a clue what you are arguing about. The Chow is not in a better place than the streets if she's not eating, pooping, moving around.
~ Sally
nuke

Post by nuke »

Salandra wrote:I'm sorry, and don't want to cause waves, but nuke, you are pretty much being a jerk here. Since you are on this site, I assume you have, have had, Chows. Then you should know that they are, must be, treated differently than other dogs. They do require more attention, and any animal that has been on the street as long as this chow really needs to be seen by a vet. Doesn't matter if this lady, or Jenn, or anyone else, has possession of her, someone needs to get her to a vet.

No, she hasn't seen a vet while living on the streets. That's all the more reason to get her to one.

If she hasn't eaten, or gone potty since this lady got her, that may be a sign of health issues. Guess what, needs to be seen by a vet.

This lady may have rescued her from the street, but Jenn was already in the process of doing that, without drugs.

If this lady is so wonderful, why won't she let anyone else see the Chow? Why won't she let anyone come into her yard?

Get a grip nuke. I think you are picking an argument for arguments sake, and really don't have a clue what you are arguing about. The Chow is not in a better place than the streets if she's not eating, pooping, moving around.
The chow is now off the street. Is that bad?

And the chow will eat and poop if it is one the street on the street or not.
Last edited by nuke on Sat May 12, 2007 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

nuke wrote:
Jeff&Peks wrote: A Chow living in a House with 100 other dogs or even 10 or 20 dogs is not my idea of a happy life and home for a Chow. I do know for a fact the Lady knows nothing about Chows, the Chow hasn'r ate or gone to the bathroom sence she has had him, and no one is there for the Chow, they are to busy with the other dogs and the new dog/dogs coming in to give the attention and care he needs, So know he is not better off except for being traped in a house with a roof on it.

This must be a super smart chow. It does not eat or "go to the bathroom" now that it is off the street. On the street, the chow had a great time and ate/defecated at will, plus it was well cared for.

Now that the chow is living with a thousand other dogs in a fenced in home with a person who loves dogs, being fed and loved, it's life is in danger
Nuke, Whats your point and what exactly is it your trying to prove? non of this really concerns you unless you want to adopt the Chow, don't worry about it we will take care of it, if you knew Chows you would know that a Chow under stress and trapped in a house probably wouldn't eat or go to the bathroom, there are threads about it all the time. It dosn't matter matter if Me, Jennifer or Lady # 2 are all nut cases unless you want to adopt the Chow there is no need to keep arguing about her.

And also yes Chows are super smart, Havn't you figured that out yet. listen to your Chow sometime

ImageImage
nuke

Post by nuke »

Jeff&Peks wrote:
nuke wrote:

Nuke, Whats your point and what exactly is it your trying to prove? non of this really concerns you unless you want to adopt the Chow, don't worry about it we will take care of it, if you knew Chows you would know that a Chow under stress and trapped in a house probably wouldn't eat or go to the bathroom, there are threads about it all the time. It dosn't matter matter if Me, Jennifer or Lady # 2 are all nut cases unless you want to adopt the Chow there is no need to keep arguing about her.

And also yes Chows are super smart, Havn't you figured that out yet. listen to your Chow sometime
My point is that the Chow is no longer on the street. Are you saying that the Chow was better off while on the street?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

In this case with Jennifer taking care of her and gaining her trust more and more everyday yes she was better off on the street and with Jennifer. It was at the point the Chow was waiting on the corner every day at the same time for Jennifer to show up and was getting closer and closer to Jennifer every day. It took Jennifer weeks to get this trusts. Again if you knew Chows you would know how long it takes to gain a Chows trust. Then to be drugged and dragged off to a strange place where he is getting no attention or help. Yes she was better off living in her (the Chows) old house and Jennifer taking care of her until the Chow excepted Jennifer and Jennifer was real close until this happened.

Actually the whole neighborhood was taking care of the Chow for over a year but it was Jennifer it was going to and waiting for..All She wants to do is continue the realtionship with the Chow at the lady's house untill she can get it adopted to a good home.

There are many people on this site that went through the same thing Jennifer was going through, spending weeks trying to get a homeless Chow to come to them and trust them enough to enter their yard and home.

ImageImage
chris

Post by chris »

Jeff... have you been able to go see the chow yet? I know you said the woman xcled her appointments with you. Did you threaten animal control to come with you? If this place is a "rescue" why not let Jennifer have the chow? The chow will then not only be taken care of.. but paid attention to.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I agree, if this is a rescue thw aim should be to get the dogs adopted out. That means letting as many people get to see them as possible, not as few.

Poor girl, she must be so stressed if she's not eating or using the bathroom correctly.

Hang in there Jennifer and Jeff! Good luck and let us know if there's anything we can do from over here.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

Curious...

When those who went to her gated property, did you see a lot of dogs? How is it that you know that she has a lot of dogs? Hear them or did she just inform you that she did?

Wondering why this person has ACE in her possession? Why is she so elusive to see in person? Why can't you see the Chow?

The above are somewhat rhetorical questions I ask myself after pondering this whole thread. Then I wonder about her actions, motives and access and knowledge of the medical community, and get a bad feeling. Animal research? Just a thought since you guys have been getting the run around from this lady since it all began. Something stinks in Denmark.........

And Nuke, yes sometimes living on the street is better than getting picked up. Ever heard of a little place called animal control? Most dogs going in have around a 90% chance of being murdered by these assclowns. How about those who would sell homeless dogs to animal research? Think they are better off than running loose?
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I too am really perplexed, why the secrecy, perhaps it would be better to call animal control and perhaps other animal rights group and explain what has been happening, it might save them all especially if the media is involved.

I feel so helpless here

David
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I have followed the story about the LA chow's plight. Jeff and Jenn--you have spoken to this woman several times.
I would suggest asking her to meet her at her front door or the gate for you to meet?
If she is a hoarder or house is smelly inside or whatever reason, she could bring the chow out to meet you?

Nuke, the chow I adopted 11 years ago, lived on the street for over a year. Very happy chow. She caught her own dinner, squirrels mostly, chewed on twigs that kept her teeth clean. Chows are survivors. My chow was actually better off on her own than with her abusive, negligent owner.

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

Guys, there's something very wrong here.

The chow may be safe for now, but there's something wrong. Either this lady is emotionally unstable, or there's something worse wrong. Why would she not at least bring the chow to the gate otherwise?

Like Sojourner said, why would she have ACE to begin with? And why would she be so insistent on using it? And then be so elusive? If there is nothing wrong in what she did, why is she trying to hide everything?

Jennifer was doing the right thing by trying to earn the chow's trust in the manner she was going about it. She was almost there, they should have left the situation alone and let her get the dog.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Just a question??? Jennifer had such a hard time getting this Chow to trust her after feeding and watering her for almost a yr. and still I don't think she was ever able to touch her, was she????

I would find it kinda hard to believe after only a few days, that all of a sudden this Chow that wasn't even approachable by Jennifer has taken to this lady and she could walk her to a gate or anywhere else. I would almost stake my life on the Chow doing what Chow's do when nervous,dropping their tails, running a few feet stopping and then turning around and looking at her. I would bet she can't even TOUCH her. Anyone else think that way???
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

vicster605 wrote:I would almost stake my life on the Chow doing what Chow's do when nervous,dropping their tails, running a few feet stopping and then turning around and looking at her. I would bet she can't even TOUCH her. Anyone else think that way???
I would almost be happy to know that the chow was acting this way, then what the woman is telling Jeff. Being wary and moving away from someone would mean that the chow is acting like a thinking chow. Sitting on a mattress, not eating, not going to the bathroom and I'm assuming not drinking or only drinking a very little is very, very troubling. It points to extreme mental distress that is becoming extreme physical distress. The chow needs to be in an environment where it will get one to one attention, calm attention, it needs time, patience and calm.

Jeff and Jennifer, I hope you can get this chow out of there soon, before her mental and physical state become worse.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Dogdad wrote: I feel so helpless here

David
So do I, David. This is most frustrating for those of us far away, it must be very painful for Jeff and Jenn, I hope they can hang in there.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
chris

Post by chris »

I would suspect that the chow also needs some medical attention or at least checked out by a vet. Bet she hasn't done that...
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

What a heartbreaking situation. Seems like there is going to be no option other than the law to get to that poor baby. But something has to be done. I think she has about had enough chances to play fair.

BTW..Jenn..You ROCK
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Ok folks, Jennifer and I got the Chow out of there, it was like the movie the Wild Bunch, We had a big shot out.

No actually they brought her out to us at the front gate, The Chow was all drugged up so she had to be carried out to us, we just took it, I have her now. Jennifer is calling some people in the morning to try and get her groomed and fixed up. I can only keep her a couple of days and Jennifer doesn't really have a place to take her right now. So the morale is we need to get her adopted. The Chow is scared to death of every movement but she is ok with Kids and other dogs. Conner was all over her and Pekoe sniffed her with out any problems. Pekoe isn't liking this to much so I have to keep them separated. The Chow is matted as hell, huge matts, She is afraid of the leash, afraid of noises, afraid of everything but we think its because of the drugs.

ImageImage
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

I agree that the chow needs to be out of there ASAP.

Like Vicster said, the chow can't possibly be trusting this woman in a noisy, confusing, strange environment that it has suddenly been thrown into. And there's no way this woman had established trust with the chow or she wouldn't have needed to use the ACE.

The way I see it, there are two bad possibilites here:

1. The chow is going to die of emotional and/or physical distress.

or

2. Someone will do something dumb with a scared chow and then animal control will say that the dog is vicious.

Although, somewhat in the chow's favor, I don't think a hoarder would admit that option no. 2 happened even if it did, and the chow has never appeared to be aggressive before, that we know of.

Let's hope the good possibilities happen before the bad ones occur. Hopefully someone will be able to get to the chow, or the chow really is doing ok in there, which I find hard to believe will happen long term given the environment that has been described.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Jeff & Jenn, you guys rock. That's for keeping us updated & thank you for getting her out of there.

She is STILL drugged now? That's sounds very poor news for her. At lest she's good with Conner.
Thank you Elodie!