Chow abandoned - male owner moved and left her behind

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

jblake334
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jblake334 »

Another donation for Neecey:

Jennifer M.I. 20.00

Thank you So Much

Here is the email the Lady from that rescue sent me after she found out Neecey was getting donations:

Jen, Sorry I am just now getting back to you. You mentioned something about getting your money back and something about a fund for the dog?? A lady called me and said that she donated money to the dog and I did not know what to say to her???? Are you collecting money for the doggie? That would be great because the feeding, housing and employee time all costs money. Let me know.

Dawn

Can you believe this after my dad forked over almost the whole vet bill. She isn't a rescue, she is like a boarding facility. Then if she had adopted Neecey she would've charged the adoption fee and kept it for herself as if she put out all the money for vet costs, boarding and food. I even bought the bed she peed on because they kept her locked in an area where they wash dogs, in the corner. The bed was probably in their way. When I went to pick her up I kept asking for her bed and they said it was being washed. Well I could see it through a window on top of some garbage cans they may use for laundry. Neecey was sitting on a pile of towels in the corner in that washing area shaking. I kept asking them to take her out to my car and the guy said you're just going to have to wait. He went in the back got a dog and started washing the dog while I stood there waiting. He put the dog in the cage with the dryer and then I got the lady, dawn and had her ask him and he kept doing other things. Finally he came to take her out to my car and I tried to talk to him and he just said go open your car. I said are you mad or something? He said I just have alot to do. When I got there they were both in an office room doing nothing.

My only problem is the microchip is in the rescues name and I know she is going to want money for grooming and all the other stuff. I haven't talked to her since or wrote back any emails. I just don't know what to do about this microchip and not causing any hard feelings. I am glad I got her when I did. I just saw that email yesterday. She never answered the phone when I called or called me back. I had left a voice mail telling her that donations might be coming to her place and I was just trying to pay my dad back. I never heard from her until that one lady called her about grooming and told her she made a donation to me for the dog. Then she called me and started asking all those questions about the money and sent that email. The nerve. What to do about keeping good terms to get the microchip changed?? I think she did a good job on the grooming, she paid 30.00 of the vet bill and got a discout for being a rescue but I think she did a poor job of housing Neecey and I don't even know if she ate any food while she was there from Mon to Fri.

[/size]Feedback??
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

Hi Jennifer,

I hope that now that Neesie's with you, that the issue of the place that boarded and groomed her can be put behind you now. I know you have alot of emotional and financial investment in this sweet soul. Too bad it just continued to be so weird from the get-go. If the microchip issue can be resolved, then I really think you can make a clean break from them and begin the new step of enjoying chow love & companionship. She's a beauty, love her new den you got for her! Wishing you all the best. Welcome to the Family! [:D]
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
jaxsun_12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jaxsun_12 »

is it really any of this lady's business if your getting donations for neecey? who cares where the money comes from, I dont think she has any right to the money. Isnt a rescue suposed to rely on donations? and if your the one that was paying for all of her stuff she has no right to ask for the money! thats just my 2 cents.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Like I told you on the phone I would just forget about the place and all the rest of the past stuff, nothing was signed there were no agreements made, You pulled her out because you weren't happy with how your Chow was being treated that's all that needs to be said. Try and get the chip info changed and move on with working with her.

Has she Pooped yet? have you tried walking her in the yard with a leash on? If anything hook the leash to her harness for a few minutes once in awhile just to get her use to it. Nothing is going to change until you can get her out walking and pooping.

If you can't get the Chip info changed maybe go down and have her licensed in your name, You will need a rabies cert. to get her licensed,
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

Forget the lady. It's none of her business. She got her $100, that's the end of it. She is no longer a party to the transaction.

She's just trying to bully you now, but she can't do anything. She cares more about the money than the dog. I wouldn't answer anymore of her correspondence.

Do you have any papers that you adopted Neecy?

If so, that would be all you would need to get the microchip changed, I would think.

Let us know how Neecy gets along. Sound like she's doing great.

Yvonne and Brandon
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

Well, you probably don't have adoption papers the way it worked, but I still wouldn't worry about it.

You turned her into the rescue (which it really wasn't) and you pulled her out, which you had the right to do.

I'd just tell them that and be done with it.

Or have her remicrochipped with your name. Not sure how that works on the information trail with Home Again, though.
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Hi Jennifer -

I think it's wonderful that you've taken on this girl.

I do think that the rescue should be reimbursed for moneys paid out on this dog, however. The whole idea of donating to help out a dog is to pay for necessities first - and rescues often have a hard time making a go of it. While you may not agree with everything they did, they still paid out money to help this chow. And the money that they are not receiving at this point could go to help other dogs too.

You've received quite a bit in donation. The donations, to me, should pay 100% of the vet bill for sure. The dog beds, doghouse, etc. should be secondary to taking care of health costs, food, microchipping, etc. Maybe you can use some of the donations to reimburse the remainder of the health care and microchipping, and in return they can change over the information on the microchip to you.

I'm glad the chow is doing well but please don't forget that this rescue WAS there to help you out at a time when it was needed.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Its not a rescue, it a wash and groom kennel that said they would rescue and adopt it out, the Chow wasn't supposed to be adopted out unless we or Jennifer knew who was adopting. The chow needs someone that is willing to work with it, not just shove it in the backyard and food thrown to it, The Chow isn't ready for adoption. keeping it locked in a room all day with no human contact and giving it cheap food until someone walks in to buy it isn't rescuing. if anything she may owe $30 for the remainder of the vet bill but that's it, The people could have cared less until they found out there was money involved, if it were a real rescue and worked with the chow to get it reading for adoption like at least getting it socialized and leash trained then money would have been no problem. The only reason the Chow was placed there is because Jennifer didn't have a place to keep it so they were a desperate temporary all we could do place to put it. The Chow now has diarrhea from the garbage they were feeding it. I know what Jennifer is doing with the money exactly what it was intended for she is using every dime on the Chow actually she calls me every time she spends a dime of it, today I told her to go buy some Nutro Lamb and rice to clean out its system.

When I give money to a rescue I expect the money to all go on the dog I am sponsoring, its not supposed to be used for coffee and pastries for the office staff.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

I havent been on for a few days, but this is the best news I could have!

Jennifer you are the archangel among the angels who have all helped Neecy. She is a very lucky girl and I'm glad you are going to keep her. I think she will be very happy with you, as she is already trusting you

She looks very happy and content in her new home (dog house and with you) :D
~ Sally
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Jeff, no where did I suggest that money be given for "coffee and pastries" - regardless of whether or not this was a rescue, they WERE there at a time of "desperate" need. At the very least they shouldn't be out any money just because they helped. I didn't suggest in any way that Jennifer was spending the money on things other than for the dog, just that necessities should always come first. Doghouse and dog bed and special dishes are not necessities - vet care and healthy food and grooming are.

I don't disgree with you about the chow needing more than they could offer there. I am glad that Jennifer has her out and is providing her with a home. And we should keep in mind that she now has a dog that has been vet-checked, groomed (bathed AND clipped), who has a fancy doghouse and bed and dishes and it's not cost her anything. How many of us who have rescued dogs have those luxuries? The money is not coming out of her pocket - she's received some $375 so there's no reason why the grooming place should be out ANY money at this point. Those expenses should have been taken care of first and foremost, and all the extras after that.

I can sure see why the groomer might be a tad bit disgruntled over stepping up to help and then after spending time and money on this dog, finding out that the person who has it now is receiving donations specifically aimed toward the care of the dog. Does that really seem fair just because they didn't provide the home that YOU think they should have? If it was that much concern surely you could have found a temporary spot for her at your place instead of relying on this place to help out when no one else would.

Like I said, I'm glad Jennifer's got the chowgirl and hopefully will be able to provide a good home for her. I also hope that the grooming place won't be left with such a bad feeling about this entire interaction that they refuse to ever help anyone again.

What's fair is fair.

jblake334
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jblake334 »

IliamnasQuest wrote:Jeff, no where did I suggest that money be given for "coffee and pastries" - regardless of whether or not this was a rescue, they WERE there at a time of "desperate" need. At the very least they shouldn't be out any money just because they helped. I didn't suggest in any way that Jennifer was spending the money on things other than for the dog, just that necessities should always come first. Doghouse and dog bed and special dishes are not necessities - vet care and healthy food and grooming are.

I don't disgree with you about the chow needing more than they could offer there. I am glad that Jennifer has her out and is providing her with a home. And we should keep in mind that she now has a dog that has been vet-checked, groomed (bathed AND clipped), who has a fancy doghouse and bed and dishes and it's not cost her anything. How many of us who have rescued dogs have those luxuries? The money is not coming out of her pocket - she's received some $375 so there's no reason why the grooming place should be out ANY money at this point. Those expenses should have been taken care of first and foremost, and all the extras after that.

I can sure see why the groomer might be a tad bit disgruntled over stepping up to help and then after spending time and money on this dog, finding out that the person who has it now is receiving donations specifically aimed toward the care of the dog. Does that really seem fair just because they didn't provide the home that YOU think they should have? If it was that much concern surely you could have found a temporary spot for her at your place instead of relying on this place to help out when no one else would.

Like I said, I'm glad Jennifer's got the chowgirl and hopefully will be able to provide a good home for her. I also hope that the grooming place won't be left with such a bad feeling about this entire interaction that they refuse to ever help anyone again.

What's fair is fair.

I see your point and that is why I asked for feedback from everyone. At the time I was receiving donations I had intentions on just paying my dad back the money he had loaned me for Neecey and then I was going to let the rescue have then rest. In fact I left her a message telling her that exact statement. She never returned my call or any call. When she found out there actually was a donation to me and not her she got weird. I was never trying to hide anything from her. My voicemail said, Dawn I have people that would like to donate to this cause, you may receive some donations by mail because I gave out her address for people wanting to donate directly to the rescue. I said all I want is to pay my father back the $100 and you can have the rest. She never returned my calls, I set up the website, started receiving donations, she called that day and got weird, then I went down to check on Neecey unexpectedly. That is when I saw how they were caring for her and I pulled her out. I said, my family would foster her for the weekend and we will see how it goes. I did not mean they couldn't sponser her. She said she couldn't do anything for me as far as getting her adopted, if I took her out of her facility. I said that was fine. When we decided to keep her, my dad insisted on paying her what she was due. And I also felt she was due the remaining vet bill, and like I said she did a good job on the grooming, but I wasn't sure about the rest. That is why I was asking for feedback.

But, when I read what you wrote about me receiving money and not spending properly, it didn't sit right with me. When I put up the story of what was happening, I wanted people especially those who donated money to give me feedback, so I could make sure that everyone was satified with the way the money was spent.

There was a Melanie who donated and I wondered if that was you. I want to make sure that your money goes to her if you are the same person who donated. Just provide me with your last name for confirmation and your funds will go to her.

I never intended to inspire such negativity and end up reading it at the end of what should be a happy ending for a scared, abused, homeless dog on the streets who now has a home where a family cares about her and a doghouse that gives her total and complete security.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I don't think anyone is faulting you here. You have done an excellent thing for this beautiful girl, and it will all shake out in the wash. I do think that the rescue/boarding house should be reimbursed. If they aren't, they may not be there for the next needy furkid. Attitudes aside, they did help.

This is off topic a bit but of utmost importance to a few who are of a curious nature...what does Jeff look like? He puts himself out there as being handsomely trollish, but nobody can confirw- until now...
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Jennifer,

First of all I didn't donate because I am dealing with high vet bills from Yoshi's recent adoption but I think what you have done and are doing is wonderful. I don't think anyone thinks anything negative about you in the least. I hope you can keep her permenantly or until you can rehabilitate her. It seems like you two were meant for eachother. AS for the donations, I don't think anyone would mind if you paid the rescue what they spent and perhaps a small daonation of 20.00 and kept the rest for Neesy. The money was given to help her out, and I am sure most if not all the donators feel she is so much better off with you.

David aka dogdad
anita
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by anita »

Jennifer, I am very happy with the way you've spent the money and this will not be the last time a person gets "weird" with you when money is involved, as you will learn in life that no good deed goes unpunished. You have done a bang up job with Neecy and taken full resonsibility for her well-being and happiness, which no one else was willing or able to do at this time.

I think if you have to reimburse her go ahead to get her off your back and if you need more money just hollar and we will provide. However that being said, I would say to all I don't think I would ever attempt to rescue any person, creature, place or thing without assuming it is going to cost me something. Any rescuer that is not happy to come out of pocket on at least some things may be living in a dream world or is possibly in it for the wrong reasons. It's like saying I am going to jump in the water and save you from drowning but I don't want to get wet. Just food for thought. Jennifer, don't change. And realize any time you do anything good like this in life, anything involving self sacrifice you are going to hear from the critics and the onlookers in the peanut gallery.
Where's my chow chow?
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

Hey Jennifer...
if you feel like something didn't sit right with you, that is your heart telling you what to do. But for me personally, I feel completely content looking at those pics of Neecey in her dog house looking so happy! I trust that you are making the best decisions with the money that was donated. If you feel that paying back the groomer is the right thing to do, then you should. I am just so happy that you got to pay your dad back and do such wonderful things for this little fuzzy angel!
Keep up the good work!

jennifer
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Jennifer, Don't worry about it your doing fine. In this case the dog house was a big necessity not a luxury. If it weren't for the dog house she would be hiding behind a bush or tree, at least now she goes in and out and has a place she can feel safe in plus she's not hiding as much now that she knows she can run for her security house. Has the diarrhea cleared up yet?

ImageImage
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

I agree Jennifer. Although I was unable to donate due to my financial state, the people on this site made it clear they wanted their money to go to Neecey not the shelter, unless sending directly to the shelter. Even then, their money would have been tagged for Neecey's care.

If the lady at the shelter thinks she should be paid for the grooming, boarding, whatever,then perhaps you should, at least in part. They should expect to "eat" some costs (such as grooming) as they are, I am assuming, a shelter not a boarding facility. I'm sure someone on this forum can advise you of what costs should be paid for a rescue and adooption

Like Auddymay said, we don't want to anger them, they may not be there next time we ask for their help.

YOU are a godsend to Neecey and don't ever forget that!!
~ Sally
chris

Post by chris »

Jeff.. how are Jennifer and Neecey doing?