Chow abandoned - male owner moved and left her behind

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

chooseachinesedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Much Love?

Post by chooseachinesedog »

Any chance Much Love will take her in? She sounds like a chow that could potentially be resocialized by Caesar if the org were willing..
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Much Love?

Post by Jeff&Peks »

chooseachinesedog wrote:Any chance Much Love will take her in? She sounds like a chow that could potentially be resocialized by Caesar if the org were willing..
That guy on TV? the day I see him try and use his leash jerking and pulling tactics on a Chow will be the day I might think he knows what he is doing.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
chooseachinesedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

They show their animals on Main St in Santa Monica and I've seen some very nice rehab'd chows with their org.

There are quick thinking dogs and some who do not respond so well.. I would hope the man knows the difference and wouldn't approach a chow that way. From what you've said she doesn't have agression issues, but socialization issues.. jerking would be the wrong approach 100%!!

I just thought if Jennifer can't find any other place - they do tend to have some very nicely socialized animals, a lot of visibility and patience.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Jennifer just called, The rescue is perfect, they bathed her groomed her and found 10 ticks on her. Jennifer said the rescuer said the Chow is an absolute sweetheart and shouldn't take to long to come around. Now the Chow is Bathed, shaved, deticked and has its own room. They are taking her to the vet tomorrow so I think Jennifer may need some help with the vet bills i will see what i can do and the rescue like all rescues could use some donations to help.

I think Jennifer said the name of the rescue is Wags to wiskers in Culver city. Jennifer can tell you more about whats going on but the Chow is rescued and in good hands.

I think (not sure) that this is the place.

http://www.fromwags2whiskers.com/index.html
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Mon May 14, 2007 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
chooseachinesedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

What a wonderful thing you both have done in getting her this far!! YAY for this chow!!

:D
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Great news! I am so glad she got bathed and is getting to the vets. Here I am panicking over one tick and the poor thing had 10! :shock: I can only imagine what would have become of her if you two hadn't have been able to get her from that lady. Great job!
I am sure she is terrified and confused but deep down she must know that you two were helping her and that is why she didn't try to bite. The hiding thing and not making eye contact is from embarrassment and confusion too. A lot of chows in the shelter behave that way. If you look on PetHarbor, so many are on the catch pole and won't make eye contact either.
I am so glad that she has a chance for a happy ending. HOORAY!!!!!!!
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

From Wags 2 Whiskers:

http://www.fromwags2whiskers.com/

looks like a very nice place. We're keeping our fingers & paws crossed for her [-o|

Leonora & mum
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

The thanks and credit for the Chows rescue should all go to Jennifer, she's the one that tried for weeks to get the Chow, Drove over 100 miles aday around LA transporting the Chow, driving LA is a task in it self and made all the calls then found the rescue. All I did was show up for a few minutes and throw Begin strips at the people while Jennifer got the chow out of there.

ImageImage
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I'm so glad she's somewhere safe and being taken care of properly now. I hope her vet check goes good. She may never have been on a leash before so she might have to learn about leashes like a little puppy, but once she begins to trust again she'll be okay.

Darkwind wouldn't make eye contact with me too much when I first got him, only if he wanted to go out or something, but I worked with him and after a bit he would, it just takes time and patience.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

YEA! I just got back here after a few days and its so wonderful hearing this baby is away from the ACE lady!!

Jen and Jeff you rock!!
~ Sally
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

Again, you guys are amazing!! :inlove: [:D]
jblake334
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chucky getting all clean

Post by jblake334 »

Yesterday everything went well. She was so good. She just let Dawn, she is the woman I am partnering up with, shave her whole body, no problem. There were like ten ticks and a few were huge. At first I was scared, I thought they were growths. The first one I saw was just shy of ½” long and fat. It looked like a tumor or something, I have never seen anything like it. She got her flea and tick bath and I gave her a body massage for 20 minutes. But she did kind flip out when the guy went to rinse her with the spray hose. Maybe she used to get shot at with a garden hose or something because I had to hold her down, or else she would have been flip flopping all over the place and probably end up out of the tub and on the floor. After that I towel dried her and the night guy came in. He said anytime you want to come by at night your welcome to. This morning I took her to her vet, they wanted to keep her until after noon. She is getting the works I suppose, poor baby I hated to leave her there. I know she was afraid. I am going to pick her up now and I will bring pictures back. She does have that brindle coloring. And the stinker is a little fat unless she is pregnant, I don’t think so.

I put this under new topics and haven’t got much of a response. So here is a copy.

I want to get some feedback on Chucky's new name. She is at the vet, getting the works. She probably won't look to happy when I take her picture later. The names come from the theme "Damsel in Distress". I looked up some names associated with the story and then I altered the ones I didn't care for, they will appear in parenthesis. I want people give me some feedback. Also if anyone knows how to set up a donation fund (under the wags2whiskers name) let me know so I can at least retain half of my rights as owner. Then no one can adopt her without my ok. This way we are splitting all the costs because I want to ok whoever is adopting her.

Her are the names of some "Damsels in Distress"

1.Sydney

2.Ann I didn't like so I altered it to Aneesa

3.Aneesa - I like this one alot

4.Leia

5.Layla - I think I got this name from someone on this website, I liked it alot

6.Rinoa

7.Daphne

8.Emily

What does she look like to you?
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

What wonderful news, As ffor chuckys name, It is so hard to say. I prepicked mine but perhaps you can say all the names and she which one she prefers. Please keep us updated

David
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Layla sounds dodgy to me......

Well I have to say Anessa is a lovely name, very cool

It is always horrid to leave them at the vet, but she'll be happy to see you when you're back :D

Let us know if you can set up the fund. Maybe paypal? I'm not sure though.....
Thank you Elodie!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

I like DAMSEL! haha..

Other then that.. Sorry Layla, but I LIKE the name LAYLA!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Jennifer what AWSOME news!!! I am so glad she is starting to let people handle her, that is a very good sign. I know she has got to feel better with a good shave and bath, not to mention getting all those blood suckers off of her.
She is going to be a BEAUTIFUL GIRL when her hair grows back :D
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

I like the name Aneesa.

If you guys get a paypal account set up, let us know what it is. I'll chip in some on the vet bill.
Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Haley »

I think Emily, or Layla.
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

My vote is Aneesa. Just sounds like a fairy tale damsel rescued from the evil witch (did I just write that? my fingers had that typed out before my brain knew what was happening :? )

again, WAY TO GO! Thanks for all your hard work getting this beautiful girl out of a bad situation and into a new home
~ Sally
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Jennifer,

Sherill here...
I'm out of town and trying to keep up with where I left off.
It sounds like Charly is out, Yeah!
Do you get the impression that this lady who's hoarding dogs, needs help? Psychological help?
I'm so happy that you and Jeff were able to connect and get Charly out! Let us know if you have a fund we can send money through such as Pay Pal to help with expenses.
Blessing to you and Jeff!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
anita
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by anita »

Another happy ending on Chowchow org. :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
Where's my chow chow?
jblake334
Rank 0
Rank 0

Neesa's Donations

Post by jblake334 »

So far, there has been one donation, and I greatly appreciate that. Thank you so much Yvonne for being so kind and generous. Our balance is $20.00.
At the rescue, when we were shaving Neesa, Dawn let me know I had to come up with $100.00 toward the vet bill. I must have looked stupid when I said I was broke and I could pay her back once I raised the donations or started working next week. She asked, "Don't you have a credit card?". And the answer, I couldn't say, is no my credit is trashed. I have my Dad's card for emergencies, I asked Dad and promised I would pay him back. Dad came through and paid the $100.00. I also noticed that Neesa still had no bed, so I got her one. I would like to get her a better one though. Thing is the lady at the rescue said she would have a bed for her, but I never saw one. And after all our conversations she never let me know I needed to come up with the $100.00 for the vet bill. It's totally understandable, I don't expect her to work for free and pay for everything, I was just caught off guard when she asked. Anyway, I just wish I had the money to give her and I wasn't so broke that I had to ask for donations. I kind of wanted to make sure all the donations went toward Neesa and her needs only. I left her a message about setting up the donation site and just wanting to pay dad back and she could have the remaining donations, but I never heard from her. She said everything was 50/50 like the vet bills and things got kind of weird when I picked Neesa up and the total vet bill was 130.05. I was on the cell and said so if its 50/50 then I would pay $65 and she would too? No, she said she wanted me to pay the $100.00 and she would pay the 30.05. I said, but I thought you said we were doing everything 50/50? She said well just consider the rest for her food and stuff. I said well I can help you with the food, I understand. She said just just put the $100.00 on your dad's discover and we will be done. After that, I took Neesa back to the rescue and the guy that named her Aurora was really nice the previous day. He was all excited and thinking up new names for her. He was the one that came up with the idea of the "damsel in distress" which I thought was such a cute idea. I looked up all these names of damsels and printed them out. I printed out the meaning of Leia like one of the people posted, which was a great meaning behind a pretty name. I brought all the papers to show him after I brought her back from the vet. He was like I don't know we'll talk about it later, he said I have to get back to what I was doing. He came by and said if you love her so much why don't you adopt her? He said it nicely. I told him about my living situation. Then after sitting with Neesa for awile, I went looking for him in his office cause he said he had all these things to do and when I walked in I startled him. He was just sitting there drinking a soda staring off into space. I said here look at this and I shouwed him the name Leia and the meaning. He just said oh well, I don't know well worry about it later. He just kept saying are you taking off?

These things made me want to set up Neesa's Donation page so I can make sure all the money is spent on her needs and in spoiling her as much as possible. I don't think that will happen if they go straight to the rescue. I don't even think I will be able to get the money from her to pay my dad. It may just go back into her business. I was going to give her a portion of the donations. Maybe if we all can raise enough I can post the statements and we can figure how the money should be disbursed. Just a thought............

Go there donate just $1 and lets see what we can raise:

http://www.chuckysdonations.com
anita
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by anita »

Hi Jennifer, I just visited Neesa's site and sent my two cents. Everybody able climb abaord and let's get Miss Neesa her plush new bed. There are some darling, heartwarming pictures of her there so it is definitely worth a visit. [:D] She really is a trooper... to think of all she's been through these last two years and even these last days. Best to you Jennifer and to all who helped and encouraged. :D Job well done and obviously a labor of love for you. I think your Dad deserves a big thanks from all of us, too. Good man!
Where's my chow chow?
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

Hi Jennifer

I just added abit to :inlove: Neesa's :x fund too. Thank you so much!!!!
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

Simon sent in his allowance.