Chow abandoned - male owner moved and left her behind

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

Fantasic!!!!!

Way to go, Jeff and Jennifer!!!! :D

I was apparently posting just as Jeff was posting the good news!!!!!
chris

Post by chris »

Jeff... why the hell is she still being druged...? did they do that to her just before you got there? WTF? that woman should be hung.. Thank GOD you guys got her out of there.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Apparently they had to drug her to get her out to us. Now that she is coming out of the drugs she is freaked, I just offered her some chicken, she wouldn't take it then ran and hide behind a bush. She's going to run the first chance she gets. THis should be fun.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Thank god you guys got her out. If you can't find a home for here you may want to try LA chow rescue or Chow chow rescue of the sierra foothills. I know that The chow chow rescue of the sierra foothills is amazing to work with when you are adopting. I know they have transports to LA and beyond so you may want to contact them.

http://www.chowchowrescue.org/contact.html

and once again Jennifer and Jeff for saving this poor girl

David
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

=D= =D=
Good job Jeff and Jenn!
I'm sure this girl will need a lot of patience if she's been on her own for a while...have you contacted the local rescues? We'll help in any way.
Isn't there anyway you can get Animal Control out to this lady's place? I suspect there might be other dogs in need of rescue there.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
chris

Post by chris »

Jeff... she can't get out of your back yard can she??
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

kingalls wrote:=D= =D=
Good job Jeff and Jenn!
I'm sure this girl will need a lot of patience if she's been on her own for a while...have you contacted the local rescues? We'll help in any way.
Isn't there anyway you can get Animal Control out to this lady's place? I suspect there might be other dogs in need of rescue there.
A Big Thanks to Jeff and Jennifer!! As Karen said, we'll help in any way. I can help with vet or grooming costs, etc. Did you happen to get any other shots of the property when you were there? I notice at least two dogs through the fence (her property?)

Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

Oh my, seeing those pictures is enough to make me cry! Thank God you two got her out of there.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Jennifer and Jeff, your AWSOME!!!!
Yup, just like I thought the Chow girl probably wouldn't have anything to do with that woman..........Didn't think of her continuing to drug her though, guess that explains her laying on the matress huh??:twisted:
Poor Girl, she looks scared, sad and confused :cry:
Is she black under all that red matted hair????
Jeff, I sure hope someone at one of the resues can take her..........I wish I lived in LA just to help out.....
Let us know what we can do????
She looks like she could use some Nutro thats for sure!! :D
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

chris wrote:Jeff... she can't get out of your back yard can she??
Nope its all locked up so if your stopping by just come through the front door instead of the back like you usally do.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
chris

Post by chris »

OK.. Gotchya :D
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Great job on getting her out of there. You two did an incredible job and your persistence paid off for poor Charly. The poor thing has been through so much. Hopefully she will settle a little once she gets used to being in your house Jeff.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

She won't eat anything, treats, Chicken, nothing so I poured hamburger grease on some nutro and mixed some hamburger with it, that did the trick, she ate half of it.

ImageImage
nuke

Post by nuke »

Wow, I'm surprised that the old lady gave up the Chow. That's freaking awesome what you two did.

I apologize for being an *Censored Word* at times. This really is a great story and so far it looks like it will end well.

I know the chow has badly matted fur, but is that dark/light coloring just from dirt and filth and the sun?

She looks better that I thought based on the first pictures that were posted.

I must have missed something somewhere, but did you guys gets any information out of the lady as far as how the dog was treated?
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

:D O:) \:D/ =D= :inlove: Jeff, you're AWESOME!!
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

I am so happy to hear you wear able to get the poor baby out of there. I wonder how long she has been drugged and how in the world is this women getting a hold of so much ACE. She seems like a very strong dog, living on the streets for so long, I am sure she will come around when she realizes she is safe. I am curious if you were able to see anything else on the property. I think this would be a good property for Animal Control to keep an eye on as much as I would hate to see anymore animals end up in AC, I would hate to see them in a bad situation also.

One more chow chow save!
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Nope, She hardly said anything, mostly smiled, it seems like she was just happy to get rid of it. I think there were to many people calling and bugging her everyday so she probably thought it was best to get rid of it before real trouble started..

Trouble is now, she's coming out of the ACE and won't go near anyone, before she just laid there and let us pet her now if she see's us getting close she jumps up and run's. Yep that Chow had to be sedated the whole week she was there.

Now she is laying (hiding) behind a tree way in the back corner of the yard so I put food and water close to her and i guess the best thing to do is just leave her alone all night.

ImageImage
chris

Post by chris »

That probably is the best...and you know.. she probably knows "Jennifer" even if she didn't get THAT close to her. Maybe Jennifer should come out to your house to help with her. This is going to be one of those stories... Oh man.. I'm having a blonde moment... like one of our members.. she has a cream color chow and I think it took her a year to get her to come to her. Let me go look to see who it was.. Im such a dork sometimes.
chris

Post by chris »

ciaobella... I think.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

"Im such a dork sometimes."

Somtimes?

We don't have a year to rehabilitate this Chow, its more like 2 or 3 days. I can't keep it and I don't think Jennifer can either. However we do offer shipping.

ImageImage
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

I remember my first Chow. I adopted her at 2 years old. She had been with the same owner for those 2 years and the "owner" just couldn't take care of her any more. Lucy hid under my house for the first 3 days. She wouldn't eat or drink. After the 3rd day she finally came out for something to eat and drink. She never really did warm up to anyone except me and my daughter, she hid from everyone else.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I think now that she is coming off the drugs and leaving her alone she just ate 4 cups of nutro and drank almost a whole bowl of water. The lady said she hadn't ate all week. Maybe all she needed was to be off the drugs and left alone. She still won't come out from behind the tree tho. She is also much more alert now but I don't know if thats good or bad.

ImageImage
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Jeff, I think she will slowly adjust - she just needs alot of patience. Can you get her to a local rescue fairly soon? I'm so glad she's in your care for now.
Thank you!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

That poor thing was really hungry.

I'm not surprised. When I first got Cookie she wasn't socialized at all and literally scared to death. Hid behind a chair for three days. Body tensed up like a board if I got anywhere near her.

I was thinking maybe the Chow Rescue of the Sierra Foothills might take her, also. I haven't had any dealings with them myself, but they do seem to have a good reputation.

At least now the poor thing has a chance. I think the only reason you guys got her is because she knew you would call Animal Control sooner or later if she didn't hand her over. Your main interest was the chow and that made it in her best interest to give her to you.

Jeff and Jennifer, you most likely saved that chow's life.
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

I know time is an issue, but for this girl to get completely back to her normal self, it may take a few days for the drugs to work out of her body, especially if she has been on them since the lady first grabbed her. The initial effects have probably worn off, but the lady could have been giving her enough for it to build up in her system.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh