My chow needs a home New Hampshire

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

T
Rank 0
Rank 0

My chow needs a home New Hampshire

Post by T »

Bear
He is 5, has all of his shots and is black. He is a good dog but, has bitten a few kids when he is playing. I would like him to go to a couple without kids. Please let me know if you are interested. Thank you so much.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: My chow needs a home New Hampshire

Post by bama »

T wrote:Bear
He is 5, has all of his shots and is black. He is a good dog but, has bitten a few kids when he is playing. I would like him to go to a couple without kids. Please let me know if you are interested. Thank you so much.
T,
Would you want to keep Bear if he didn't use his mouth during play? Which begs the question...
Do you know if Bear actually bit someone, or was he playing and using his mouth? There is a difference. Many people don't understand that using the mouth during play is not an aggressive act. Bear just needs to be taught that he shouldn't use his mouth during play.
How old were the children and what were they playing?
I'm trying to understand more about Bear.

Are you certain you want to re-home Bear? Seems he has been with you for a while?
You can click over to our section on Training and learn more about "bite inhabition". And how to teach him to keep his mouth closed during human interaction.

I hope you choose to work with him, rather than give him up. But, if your mind is made up, we will do our best to help you.
Please post pictures of Bear.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
T
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by T »

its not that i don't want to keep. its a problem with and ex-wife of my financee. i do have him enrolled in some classes but, that doesn't seem to be satisfying the ex so, my only choice is to give him up to a good chow chow owner. the child he bit was his favorite she is 7 and has been around him for over 3 years.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

T wrote:its not that i don't want to keep. its a problem with and ex-wife of my financee. i do have him enrolled in some classes but, that doesn't seem to be satisfying the ex so, my only choice is to give him up to a good chow chow owner. the child he bit was his favorite she is 7 and has been around him for over 3 years.
For help with Bear, you have come to the right place.
However, I can't help myself, but to comment on the ex-wife of your fiancee'. I hesitate to say it, but that sounds like a power play from the ex-wife.
I'm not Dear Abby by any means, but I have been around the block a time or two. Using the children to make power plays is sad, but common. If the ex-wife has that kind of power over your fiancee'...I doubt seriously that the power plays will stop with getting rid of the chow, or by getting married for that matter.

If you want to generate interest in Bear, you will need to post photos. For Bear's sake, I hope we can figure something out.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

:( This sounds like a "power play" to me too! BUT!! Better to find a good home before the "ex" decides she can actually turn the dog in for "biting"..

In my area:
First time - quarantined, fined and flagged as "biter"
Second time - mandatory termination of life.

:evil:

I've made this comment on other posts - My first Chow was blind and almost totally deaf. My 4 year old nephew decided to walk up behind her and grab her butt. Lucy reached around, (probably thought it was just an itch) and bit my nephew on the cheek. Left teeth marks but didn't break the skin THANK GOD! After that, I kept a closer eye on Lucy ESPECIALLY when kids were around. Never happened again. :)
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Also, where are you located would be great to know. Thanks fo looking out for Bear. Looking forward to seeing his pictures
Thank you Elodie!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Cherie and Layla are so right.

Knowing where you are and posting photos will go very far in helping to re-locate Bear.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
anita
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by anita »

bama wrote:
T wrote:its not that i don't want to keep. its a problem with and ex-wife of my financee. i do have him enrolled in some classes but, that doesn't seem to be satisfying the ex so, my only choice is to give him up to a good chow chow owner. the child he bit was his favorite she is 7 and has been around him for over 3 years.

I'm not Dear Abby by any means, but I have been around the block a time or two. Using the children to make power plays is sad, but common. If the ex-wife has that kind of power over your fiancee'...I doubt seriously that the power plays will stop with getting rid of the chow, or by getting married for that matter.
I'm not dear Abbey either, but I think there is a lot of wisdom in what bama says and it is worth considering.

And everyone is right, you have come to the right place and you will find help here, but I do hope you will reconsider the whole picture. From another who learned the hard way. Yep,been around the block, too. :roll:
Where's my chow chow?
Bearsmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bearsmom »

I certainly don't want to get into the middle of anything I or this sweetie might regret...but I'm in Vermont...where are you?

Can we have pics?

Bearsmom
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Bearsmom, I thought of you when I read this one. It says New Hampshire in the title so it sounds like he is pretty close to you. :wink:
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

bearsmom,

Do we have a possible match? :shock:
Will you let us know if we can get excited for you??? :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
T
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by T »

i don't know how to use this website that well and i hope my messages have gotten thru but, some of them i don't see on here. My cell phone is 603-209-6511. I am having a hard time even thinking of giving my dog up but, i do think it is probably best for him. i don't want that ex doing anything to him and i don't trust her. I want to make sure that he is in a safe place. He is a good dog and we all love him. I would love to put up a picture but, i don't know how to.
T
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by T »

my email is tvandyke@sveassoc.com or ocean2pretty@hotmail.com. i know how to send pictures thru these.
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cheriekynb »

:cry: Ah, this sounds like a very painful decision for you, I'm sorry that you have to go through this.
T
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by T »

I want to thank all of you for your support. Allison now has Bear. This has been one of the hardest things i have had to do in my life. Bear is like one of my children. I know you all know how i feel. I miss him so much and he has only been gone a few hours. I know that Allison will take good care of him and i know that he will be safe that was/is my biggest worry. He will be a good dog for her. My children are really upset but, they understand what the ex is like and they don't want Bear to be killed because of her. Thank you so much Allison for taking Bear please keep in touch with me and if you have any problems please let me know and i will do whatever i have to to make sure he is a good dog for you or anyone else. Thank you all. Tracina
Bearsmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

you can be happy for me...

Post by Bearsmom »

...and sad for poor T whose heart, and those of the rest of her 'yumon fambly...are utterly devastated, I could tell. What a brave and courageous decision to make in the face of it.

Bear is lying down behind me, snorting and panting...he's starting to calm down now after the almost two hour ride north...be assured T, he is looking for you but I think he will adjust.

It was sort of funny, but sad too, when I got home with him. He immediately got out of the car with me as I walked him and he peed. Then I decided to put him back in the car for a few minutes while I got the cats adjusted, and then would bring him in. Well, the second time, he didn't want to get out of the car! Finally, I just hauled him out, and once he was out, we went for our first walk around the perimeter of my acreage. Then brought him inside. He got his food bowel and water bowel immediately but hasn't touched them yet. And of course, he and the cats are eyeing each other from afar. I think he was thrilled that he had cats to play with...he certainly went right after them...they've been without too long!!! tee hee!

We went for another couple of rounds about the perimeter after I ate something, and he seemed to get easier with each round...I live in a 10 acre field, but the cabin is on almost 2 acres of lawn with a pond...he went into the pond and had a good drink! That was when I knew he was starting to be more himself.

He HAS snapped at me twice, once at T's house when he was being made too quickly to make my acquaintance - I totally understand, him being a shy pup and all, and then when I was trying to untangle the lead when I finally got him out of the car...but he has been nothing but a sweetie the rest of the time. He's looking me in the eyes and I know, wondering where T is...

So...I'm glad I was able to help, and prevent the worst from happening, and I'm thankful that I have a new buddy. I think Bear (ironic eh?!) and I are going to be great buds...he's going to get me back out there walking again as I used to do with my two buds...and maybe these hips will slim down again! :?

I am going to see how he does over the next week, but will probably look into enrolling him in a class or two...we'll see. I will definitely be looking for advice on his nipping if it seems to be a problem. I'm not convinced it is.

Again...T was obviously heartbroken had being forced to do it this way, but at least the worst alternative has been avoided.

Thanks for your heartfelt wishes, and send T some thought too...

The NEW Bearsmom
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cheriekynb »

I love happy endings. I know this is SO hard on T but it sounds like all is well.. :)
T
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by T »

Thank you so much Allison for writting i have been waiting to see how he is doing.. thank you for being patient with him. i am sure he will be good for you once he gets used to you. We look forward to seeing you soon.. thanks again
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

So hard on the family that had to give him up. So lucky for his new mum. If you see that he gets some basic training after he adjusts to you, it will go far in being able to curtail the nipping as his first line of defense.

Have you ever seen a show on Animal Planet called It's Me or the Dogs ? They go into homes where there are real problematic situations, and the trainer shows how to correct bad behaviors. It is fascinating, and very insightful. Check it out, you will soon have tips on ending the mis-use of Bear's mouth.
Bearsmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bearsmom »

Hey T ~ You got it! I keep yu posted.

Thanks Auddymay...I am a firm believer too that no problem is unfixable, it just needs to be understood, and already, I can see that this sweet thing IS just using his first line of defense, and can unlearn that with a little encouragement and alternatives. I will try to find a copy of that program though I don't need convincing, and this is certainly a very fixable problem. My Rosie nipped and with her, if I immediately held her jaws shut for a few seconds and told her no, she got it within like, two or three times. I am not sure that will work here with Bear...but will be looking and seeking.

He's pooped out now, crashed...and he let me comb him a bit even...T said he liked it. He's letting me touch him now whenever I want to...

Bearsmom
T
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by T »

I am so glad he is letting you get close to him. I know he will be good for you. He is just scared right now but, i am positive he will stop the nipping after he gets used to you. I do think that you should look on the internet or get him some training. I will help you pay for whatever you need for him to be a good dog for you. I think you must be very good with animals for him to be giving in to you as much as he has already and like i said before thank you so much for taking him. It is really hard for my children and myself to have to go through this but, you seem to be a good match for him and i am so happy that he is already starting to trust you. Thank you again and please remember i will do whatever you need so he will be good for you.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I'm so glad that T found this site to help his Chow find a new home...and even so much happier that Bearsmom has come to the rescue. Truly wonderful!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

T, What you have had to go through has been my biggest fear with our chows. I am always afraid that something will happen like that and someone will demand that they be put down. You did a good thing for Bear, as hard as it is. I hope no one else ever ends up in your situation.

Bearsmom, I am so happy that you were finally able to adopt a chow. I know you had your heart set on Azlan before and we all really wanted you to be able to adopt him. Everything happens for a reason though. You were able to save this poor guy and give him a second chance. I am so happy for you and for Bear.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

T,

While I am happy to hear that Bear has found a wonderful home, I am sorry you and your children must feel this loss.
I'm sure the word, "sad" doesn't even begin to describe how you must feel?
It is sad that so much heartache has come to your family over what I think is a ugly power play by the ex.
Hopefully, you can find solace in the fact that Bear is with a good mommy and you can check in on him from time to time.
Good luck in the future to you and your family.

Sherill
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
T
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by T »

I hope that no one has to go thru this. It is just awful. It is so hard to get up in the morning and know that he is gone and come home and not having him here to greet me. i am so thankful for this site because i didn't know what to do and our Humane Society said that they would not be able to place him because of his history. i took my chances and just searched on the internet. I am so happy that this site was here for us.