BUTTERCUP - Lost Cream Colored Chow, Daly City, CA

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

I'm just hoping she will be safe & won't go all the way to the Highway. I'm also praying that she is heading on towards your house guided by Zhuyo. Lou, I think both you and Miss PB deserves a nice night in after a good day of search. Have a nice hot bath & go to bed early. Hope your cold gets better, too.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I am really hoping that she is found. I saw the postings on Craigslist and then came here and saw this posting. At least the weather is nice. It is supposed to rain next week so hopefully she can get home before then. She must be so scared out there.

Oh, and you may want to re-post the Craigslist ads everyday so they get bumped back up where more people will see them. The ads on there now for her are from Friday.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I think you have to wait at least 48 hours to repost on craigslist other wise they will block it, It use to be you could repost your add everyday but they changed it. Maybe they didn't change the pet section but all the others 48 hours.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Well, PB and I have just returned for another hour going around the area. We are calling it a day. Well, PB is that's for sure. She's pooped. However, she would not allow me to take her safety belt harness off until now. I guess she knew she wanted one more go at it.

I make take a drive around the main roads in the evening and see if I see her walking around. The other areas would already be gated.

I too hope that Buttercup does not vear towards the freeway. It is much too close for comfort being on that boulevard. So, let's think good thoughts that when Jean logs back on she had good news to share.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I was so hoping for a quick recovery on this one. It may still happen. Getting the word out to the neighborhoods is the best bet at this point. Schoolchildren make good eyes on the streets where dogs are concerned.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Lou, you & PB have done such good work & with a cold as well. Bless you both. Really hope that Buttercup is found soon.
Thank you Elodie!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

bama wrote: ...Lou..Since I don't know the area, and you do...would you please select the links that you feel are in play here?
Bama, thanks for the links the only real player for our county would be the PHS/SPCA (Peninsula Humane Society). Jean works at the SFSPCA so they would be called too. Since Buttercup came from San Francisco Animal Care and Control (ACC), that would be in play since her microchip number probably originated from ACC. ACC does list on Petharbor. I don't think PHS does.
Jeff wrote: I think upwind where she is would take her to the Ocean...
You are correct. The ocean, but she'll have to travel past the freeways. Hopefully she'll be enticed by the restaurants in the area and not venture that far West. Also, your link to the shelters did not work.
Linda wrote: Oh, and you may want to re-post the Craigslist ads everyday so they get bumped back up where more people will see them. The ads on there now for her are from Friday...
Thanks, Linda. Jean is in charge of the ads. Thanks for the heads up.
Auddymay wrote: Getting the word out to the neighborhoods is the best bet at this point. Schoolchildren make good eyes on the streets where dogs are concerned...
She headed south - which means the golf course, mountain preserve and cemetaries THEN it seems she headed west which are more cemetaries, two main roads and shopping of all sorts. So the boulevard of her last sighting is very conjested. Then the first entrance to the freeway/highway and a shopping mall. If she's still out there, I'm really hoping she'll find her way my subdivision. It's the only one for a few miles, ditto with the schools.

Dagnabit chows, too smart for their own good sometimes! PB and I were all over that area today! Jeff, definitely a "Fremont chow" moment. Victory, can you ask Darkwind to help too?
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

The link is working you just have to give it a second to pop in, at least thats what its doing to me.

http://www.batchgeocode.com/map/?i=0b54 ... 3dd6663e58

Acording to the bay area shelter map Daly City is right in the middle between the SF SPAC and the Peninsula SPCA with alot of traffic in between but either shelter could pick her up.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
chowteam
Rank 0
Rank 0

LATEST BUTTERCUP SIGHTINGS

Post by chowteam »

Iris, Buttercup's adopter, saw Buttercup running north to south down her street, Shelter Lane at 7:20 p.m. This is about **20 minutes** after John (my colleague at the SPCA and by about 40 000 000 miles Buttercup's favorite person - she does golden retriever impersonations when greeting him) and I quit at the golf course and cemeteries - both of us did some time on Iris's street. Notably, it was about a half hour after we left on Friday that she was sighted very near where we were hunting. My inclination is that she is catching whiffs of John.

Second sighting: a woman with a strong foreign accent called at 9:20 and said she saw her a little earlier entering the Franciscan development (Iris's little gated community). I'm not sure but it might have been the same heavily accented lady with whom I had the cryptic conversation around 4 p.m.

Call at 4 p.m. - Approximate Transcript

Phone: Ring ring
Jean: HELLO??!!
Caller: I have the dog
Jean: You HAVE the dog?
Caller: Uh, uh, no, I saw the dog
Jean: Where did you see her?
Caller: ....
Jean: Where did you see the dog?
Caller: Serramonte
Jean: Serramonte? Near where?
Caller: ..........
Call ends

Then, around 9:35 Iris says some people in some sort of van chased her down Seashore - probably well meaning but they basically chased her out of the neighborhood.

John and I are going first thing tomorrow a.m. and this time John is going to leave a worn shirt at Iris's. Iris has left food out - treats, chewies and cooked lamb, and doors open, in case she makes her way back in cover of night, the little wild thing.

I dare hope for a good outcome.

Thanks.

Jean
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

The people on this site are so awesome! All my thoughts and prayers are with you and Buttercup.
~ Sally
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Checking in...
I had dinner guests last night and was not able to search the net. I am so hoping Buttercup will be found.

Lou,
You are amazing! I know you are working your butt off trying to find Buttercup. If anyone can, you can!
I think it is brilliant for John's clothing to be placed outside. I'm wondering if he has an old T-shirt with his scent on it, that he can rip up into pieces to disperse, creating a trail to his house?

Lou wrote: >>>Bama, thanks for helping out. If your hubby has flow out of SFO, he would be very familiar with the mountain range Buttercup is lost in... it's the San Bruno Mountain and pilots know it as sign hill. It's the annoying mountain that all the airplanes need to make sure they are high enough to clear. <<<

Lou, I have flown over San Bruno Mountain. Take off is darn near 30 degrees before banking over the ocean.
Partly due to topo and partly due to noise abatement laws.
I have a feeling that Buttercup will not head uphill into the mountain, but rather downhill where there are fewer preditors, more water supplies, and people with food. From what I'm reading, I get the impression that she is trying to find...home.

I'll continue to check the internet.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I pray she is found safe and sound and gets home soon.

You are all so wonderful! Oh Lou, I hope you and your sidekick Miss PB or you Jean can locate her.

We'll be praying for Buttercup. [-o| [-o|
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

OPERATION, FINDING BUTTERCUP!
Chowfriends, would like to help search for Buttercup?
If so, please select a link from the list below for monitoring.
Please post your link selection and give the time frames you will be able to monitor.

More than one person can search a particular site, as long as all the links are covered.

I'm hopeful that by coordinating our efforts, we
WILL find Buttercup.

**RAH, RAH, RAH, SHISH CUME BAH....
GO... CHOW TEAM!!!!*****

Search Criteria:
Chow Chow, cream or white, Female.
Last seen Friday 4-27-2007.
Area: Daly City, (San Mateo County), California
zip code: 94014
Map:
http://www.batchgeocode.com/map/i=0b54d ... 3dd6663e58

Links:

1) Peninsula Humane Society:
http://www.peninsulahumanesociety.org

2) Pet Harbor:
http://www.petharbor.com/

3) Pet Finder:
http://www.petfinder.com/

4) Pets 911:
http://www.pets911.com/index.php

5) San Francisco Animal Care:
http://www.sfgov.org/site/acc_index.asp

6) SFSPCA:
http://www.sfspca.org/home.shtml

7) Craigslist, Lost and Found:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/laf?query=dog

8) Craigs List, Dog Adoption:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/pet? ... g+adoption
Last edited by bama on Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:33 am, edited 5 times in total.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Currently, I am trying to monitor all of the links,
but it's a load. :shock:
So, jump on in here and select a link! :D

Thanks,
Sherill
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

I will cover these:

Pet Harbor:
http://www.petharbor.com/

San Francisco Animal Care:
http://www.sfgov.org/site/acc_index.asp

For no other reason as these are the ones I could figure out how to check the website :roll:

SF Time: I will check today after 4pm, and on Monday between 9am - 3pm M-F and again 11pm - 3am M-F but hopefully she will be found before then!

Did she have on a collar? tags? I couldn't find that info on this thread
~ Sally
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

This is a total long-shot----

I don't know SF or surrounding towns, and I'm probably WAY off the mark here, but there is this listing on PetHarbor.com. I know brown is not her color, but who knows, if the shelter is in the right place...brown could = cream? I called but didn't get an answer
Stockton Animal Shelter
I am a female, brown Chow Chow.
My age is unknown.
I have been at the shelter since Apr 26, 2007.
This information is 1 hour old.
~ Sally
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Jean, how did the search go this morning? I'm sorry I couldn't join in. Lou e-mailed me, but I went to bed too early and woke up too late... :oops: Of all the sitings, the siting by Iris is most credible. Maybe John needs to pitch up a tent in Iris's yard for a couple of nights....I'm just thinking out loud here, I apologise if it sounds outragious, but with possible rain in a couple of days according to the weather forecast, I really want to see her safe asap.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Salandra wrote:This is a total long-shot----

I don't know SF or surrounding towns, and I'm probably WAY off the mark here, but there is this listing on PetHarbor.com. I know brown is not her color, but who knows, if the shelter is in the right place...brown could = cream? I called but didn't get an answer
Stockton Animal Shelter
I am a female, brown Chow Chow.
My age is unknown.
I have been at the shelter since Apr 26, 2007.
This information is 1 hour old.
Salandra,

I know it may be a long shot, but that's how I found Molly.
There was no photo and she was listed as yellow.
I will call the Stockton Animal Shelter and check.
Thanks a bunch!

Just called Stockton Animal Control...they are closed on Sunday.
I'll try again tomorrow, unless you prefer to call them.
Pm me to let me know.

Thanks bunches!
Sherill
Sherill
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

UPDATE.... BIG UPDATE!

I received an e-mail from Jean early this morning, Buttercup may have found her way back to her adopted parent's home!

Jean is over an hour away from where Buttercup was lost. John's scent must have led her back to the complex.

Jean or I will post another update if it is true Buttercup is safe and home. Sorry for the suspence, but both of us don't know for sure yet.

Salandra and Bama ... Stockton is very, very far away from us. I know, the Bay Area is vast and its hard to figure out proximity sometimes. Thanks for checking.
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

I'll check all the links on and off through the days. Its hard for me to pick any time frame.
I doubt that brown Chow is the one since its been seen since the 26th I think, but I'd call it anyway just to know for certain. Bonnie had said when she first went in to identify Molly they had told her they didnt know she was a Chow at first.
I sure hope Buttercup is brought to safety soon.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I've been checking the craigslist, Pets and lost and found a couple times a day.

I doubt the Chow in Stockton is the Chow, she would have to do some major bridge and freeway crossings to be that far away.

ImageImage
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

[-o| [-o| [-o|
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Lou wrote:
Dagnabit chows, too smart for their own good sometimes! PB and I were all over that area today! Jeff, definitely a "Fremont chow" moment. Victory, can you ask Darkwind to help too?
I asked Darkwind and MingToy to look after her and guide her home safely, I think LiChi and Ming will help too.

I hope she gets home real fast. And yes they are too smart for their own good sometimes.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
chowteam
Rank 0
Rank 0

BUTTERCUP FOUND AND WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by chowteam »

Buttercup is snoozing in my family room as I type. Slept like she hasn't slept in 60 hours in the car on the way home. A few burs, a bit of ick on her bottom and foot pad abrasions but otherwise in no way resembling a lost dog.

The backstory:

4 a.m. Iris's neighbor across the street calls Iris - BC is sitting in Iris's driveway. BC bolts when Iris calls her. All the food Iris had put out was gone. She puts out more.

5:45 a.m. Iris spies BC in her BACKYARD. She sneaks around the other side and gets the gate closed behind her. She then sloooooooooooowly lures and herds Buttercup into the house. Cue music.

This is not the dog for Iris so if John doesn't adopt her (he is re-mulling a tough call he and his wife made not long ago - it is a match made in heaven but it would be a fourth dog for them, and they feel at or above maximum capacity with three - Aussie mix, Aussie and Pit mix), I will be starting the home search again.

I can't begin to thank you all enough for the amazing help - you don't know BC or me from Adam - and support. Chow people rule. If there's ever anything I can do for any of you, please e-mail me at: jdonaldson@sfspca.org.

BC will be sporting a GPS collar on her next placement.

Yay yay yay yay yay!!!!!!!!!

Jean
xoxoxoxox
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Yay yay yay yay! Is right! =D= \:D/ =D= \:D/ Awesome. I'm so happy, though all I did was pray for her. Yippeeeee!
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!