Cheyenne and Cinnamon

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Cheyenne and Cinnamon

Post by Desi »

Valentines day night I was going through petfinder,I was looking for two pygmy goats,and I ended up on the website for the Summerville shelter,a high kill shelter 40 minutes from here.Dogs there are often pts after 3 days.Saw this picture:
The pups were listed as 8 week old Keeshond/Spitz mixes.
Don walked by the computer room and asked what I was looking at,so I told him these furballs could be killed any day.
We already had two poodles,a jack russell and an 18 lbs maine coon cat,so we weren't really planning on getting any more indoor pets,but the idea of these girls being killed kept us up most of the night.We decided we could at least foster them til we could find them homes.Called the shelter the next morning after deciding we could at least keep one.
The lady that picked up the phone had no clue,she could find the puppies (and they only have 19 kennels,how hard can it be) ,so she said she'd call back if she found them.She called back three hours later and said they were not in the shelter,one of the workers took them home and one of his friends was going to come over that night to take a look at them,she'd call me back if he didn't want them.Less than an hour later she called me back (2.30),and told me they guy never showed up,(Weird,since she told me he wouldn't get there til late that night.)so they still needed a home.I told her we wanted to adopt one and foster the other one.She said the guy that had them at his house was willing to foster one if we took the other one,so we drove there.
He had them in a wire cage outside,in a shed like shack with only two walls.It was 35 and would drop to 20 that night.They were too cold to stand up,shaking like a leaf,skinny and dirty.When he walked away to get a piece of paper so we could write our name and address down so he could send the spay/neuter agreement (of course we never got it)Don said we should try and get them both,the one we'd leave would never make it through a 20 degree night.
That was no problem at all,for 25 dollars a piece they were ours.
On the way home we stopped at the petstore for puppy chow and while I was waiting in the car I got my first puppy kisses.I had picked Cheyenne (the lighter puppy) as the dog we'd keep,but Don fell for Cinnamon right away,and the next day when one of the neighbors said she would like to have Cinnamon he told her no way.
When I checked their mouths I knew they were part Chow,Cinnamon's tongue is solid purple,and that's when I joined this forum.
We took them to the vet,they weighed in at 6 lbs,were loaded with Coccidia and just about every worm in the book.They're almost 4 months now ,still gaining two lbs a week.
Cheyenne was a bit shy at first,now she's just very submissive ,but she does come up to visitors and likes to be petted.She's my snuggle bug,I get sloppy kisses all the time.
Cinnamon is a happy go lucky little bouncing ball who wants attention from everybody that walks in.
So glad we found these two ,they're a lot more fun than pygmy goats would have been :lol:
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW O:) O:)
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

awwww, I am so glad you got them, it sounds like they had a horrible life.

David
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

What an awesome story! Their puppy pictures are soooo cute! I'm sure you saved their lives that day, not only from a kill shelter, but from someone who would have let them freeze to death. They are sure lucky little furkids!
~ Sally
Boggled
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boggled »

That's such a sweet story :)
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I read the story of C & C. again. I am glad that you rescued those two babies, they're just too precious.

Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Just meant to be !!!!
What a beautiful story and I'm soooo glad you found them in time!!! :D
RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2