Yoshi's story

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Yoshi's story

Post by Dogdad »

I was actually looking for a black chow for another guy on this forum when I first say Yoshi. I fell in love with him instantly. He was a stray in California and was 20 pounds underweight, yet from his eyes, I could tell that he was a great boy. I contacted The Chow Chow rescue of the Sierra Foothills and inquired about him. They are a wonderful group, so very caring and communicative. I quickly overnighted my documents and the next day I adopted him. We scheduled Yoshi on a transport to Los Angeles where my dad and sister picked him up. They are there visiting family. My sister told me that Yoshi was so well behaved but my Uncles dogs weren't being nice to him so my dad and sister decided to drive him home to Wisconsin immediately. I found out later that my dad and sister were so concerned about his condition that they wanted to get him home asap. I drove towards California and we met in Nebraska. Yoshi was in the passenger seat when I first saw him in person. He came out of the car and immediately gave me and my kids hugs and kisses. The next day we drove home and introduced him to the furkids in the family. Image

The next day I took him to the vet, the vet was almost in tears when she felt Yoshi, She said she has never seen such a underweight dog. She suggested lots of puppy chow, High protein food. He was at 42 pounds. The next thing they found was Coccidiosis , it is a protozoan type of parasite, they can't eliminate it but they can control its reproduction. It occurs in puppies and animals whos immune systems are weak, This concerned the vet and I that he even has them, Then the final thing, the mucous, he sneezed constantly and sprayed mucus everwhere. The vet intially thought it was distemper but luckily it was only pneumonia.

It has been 3 weeks now since Yoshi has been home. He has since gained 10 pounds and also has eliminated the coccidiosis from his system and is now pneumonia free. I groomed him daily for 3 weeks to get out the mats in his hair. His stomach region was one solid mat as were his hind quarters, chest and ears. The vet says he is a completely different dog in appearance and healthwise.

He is getting along better with his fur brothers and sisters and enjoys long walks. He is sweet and loving. He prefers to sit outside all day and sniff the air, run around and chase birds. He is slowly getting over his nipping to get the attention of his fur siblings.

I can hardly wait for his grandpa and auntie to see him after 3 weeks. He is so happy, healthy and does look like he has a new lease on life.

I urge you all to think of Rescues and Shelters. Puppies can easily find homes, too many adults are being euthanized daily because they are no longer " puppy cute " of my 6 dogs all but one is a rescue. She is also the least well behaved. Rescued dogs know they have a second chance for love.

David
HemiCuda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HemiCuda »

bless you david, you have a wonderfull heart! :wink:

"If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain" - Dolly Parton
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

David, another beautiful story! Hey, I'm sure you posted this in another thread, but, how old is Yoshi? 10 pounds in 3 weeks! WOW, that's amazing!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Yoshi is estimated to being about a year and a half. I think he is a bit younger, he is so much like a puppy

David