UK chow needs a home!

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

UK chow needs a home!

Post by Sirchow »

Kutie needs a home. She is an ex puppy farm bitch who has come a long way in a foster home but the rescue are finding it hard to place an older chow and she has particular needs as her knees are a bit of a problem...she has luxating patellas. This is usually opperable but I dont know if they cant afford to do it...I never asked that question :(

Her fur has grown a lot since the pic at the top of the page if you look down you will find her way way down the page as she has been waiting a long time :(

http://manytearsrescue.webs.com/dogslookingforhomes.htm
Attachments
Cutie-Chow-02-09-11.JPG
Cutie-Chow-02-09-11.JPG (23 KiB) Viewed 14820 times
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: UK chow needs a home!

Post by BeckiHutton »

I think she already has a home siriol
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Oh you are right Becki I see further down. Thank you for pointing that out. I am so glad she finally is getting her own home. :D
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

So am I :) she deserves it, she is so beautiful. I would have loved to have given her a home... I've been following her story from the start
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
Lorna Lake
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lorna Lake »

I hope you don't mind me posting about Kutie ... Just a few minutes ago I found your website and was really quite excited to find a bit about her.
I was lucky enough to adopt her on 10 January ... she is my first Chow and I totally adore her. I'm experienced with rescue dogs (40 years) - maybe it helps a little that I had Afghan Hounds - temperamentally there seem to be some similarities I think.
Anyway, she has settled in beautifully although she has just had a very big setback in that her back legs were in such a dreadful way that she had bilateral TPLO procedure last Friday with additional bilateral sulcoplasty She found it a very upsetting time - I think she feared she had lost her home - so she came home early from hospital and is now doing really well. She is a brave and curious girl as well as being a cuddle-dog extraordinaire! She loves my already resident ShihTsu x Tibetan Terrier and I believe she is happy. I'm really enjoying learning about Chows and I can see I've a lot to learn. Be assured that I'll do the very best I can ... and maybe I can ask for help if I need it.
Lorna
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I am so happy you decided to post here as Kutie was on my mind only the other day when I came across the pics I posted here. It is always great to hear a chow got a loving home and they settled in. She is very lucky to have found you and I really hope you will post some pics of her now and tell us more about her. Thank you so much for giving her a home. I so wanted to but she wouldn't have settled well with my mad house of cats and dogs and after talking to the rescue I could see it would not be the best place for her. It sounds like she is now in her right place :D \:D/ =D=
Lorna Lake
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lorna Lake »

Thank you Sirchow for such a warm welcome. Oh I can promise you that I will do everything I know to make her happy ... she is an amazing girl ... so brave even when she is so afraid ... Her history fills me with complete horror and I see evidence of the psychological scars as well as the physical ones. The surgeon who operated on her told me that the cruciate ligament in her left leg ruptured years ago and consequently the meniscus was long gone too ... and still they bred from her ... I call that savagery. The right crucial ligament was fraying before it ruptured one evening about 2 weeks ago - she was at the vet in 12 hours of course. And all that is in addition to her poor luxating patellas. It is quite challenging at the moment because she has to be confined to allow her legs to heal but yet the confinement clearly brings back dreadful memories for her ... so it's trial and error to find "middle ways" ... so far, so good. She's a total sweetheart - even though I've only had her with me for 11 weeks she obviously trusts me even to put tablets down her throat when she refuses to take them the easy way with butter or cheese etc ... just keeps wagging her tail.
I'll try and understand your photo system ... but I warn you I'm utterly technophobic!
L x
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Lorna Lake and Kutie, welcome to the group. Having a rescue chow is just like having any other rescue dog, BUT with a little twist. Like you, I have a few years experience with dogs, and what I have found with my chows is that there is a chow way to do everything, and that they look to me for cues on how to behave. Here in the states, they have a negative reputation, but I have found my two to be the sweetest most lovable and loyal dogs.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Hi Lorna. If you would like to email the pics to me I would happily post them for you. She sounds a total sweetheart and you sound, like I said the perfect forever home for her. I wonder if it would work tying her to something heavy instead of caging her. We tied Bramble (My red girl in the strip below) to a coffee table which was filled with books for weight on the shelf below. At least something like that would mean she didn't have to be caged. Bramble had two tplo's and luxating patellas and torn meniscus so I feel your pain and know some of what you are going through. She will be a different girl when she is all better from this and my girl can now do 1/2 hour walks. She probably could do more but the stress of the ops brought out problems with her elbow dysplasia.
Are you on Facebook?
I am so glad she has such a wonderful mom now and thank you for all you are doing for her. There are people in this world who do such wicked things to dogs and then there are such good people like you who are left to sort it out. I am sure in a years time you will look back and barely recognise the chow you have now as the Kutie she will be then. :D
Siriol
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Kuties new mom sent me these photos which are absolutely amazing and I find it hard to believe how that sad little face has grown to this beautiful chow. It says everything about how worthwhile rescue is..... :D
Thank you Lorna for allowing me to share these photos....
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

She makes a very proud passenger! :x
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Lorna what a fantastic rescue story, everyone has gained from this experience it seems..Thank you for opening up your heart and home to such an adorable chow..WHAT A MAKE OVER SO HAPPY..
Lorna Lake
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lorna Lake »

Oh yes Sarahloo - she is indeed a proud passenger. And while at the moment she can't go for walks, she clearly enjoys being taken for rides ... she fascinates me with her curiosity ... looks at everything so intently ... particularly the sky and birds ... as if she is taking in all the sights and sounds that were denied her in her first years. Very like having a young child in that I see things through her eyes so it's a very shared experience. Pip's kindness to her is extraordinary to see too ... and it really is kindness ... she realised that the postman had left a couple of biscuits on the doorstep so she picked up one and brought it to Kutie and then got the second and sat down beside Kutie to eat it. I'm so privileged to be their guardian. L x
Lorna Lake
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lorna Lake »

Just another little update ... Kutie went for her 2-week check and stitches + staples out today ... the surgeon is delighted with her progress ... said he would have hoped for this progress at the 6-week stage ... thinks she is doing so well that she won't need physio or hydrotherapy either - though of course I'd do it in a heartbeat if needed. So now another four weeks of being steady and just doing more of what we have done, then she'll have sedation & x-rays to be sure that the bone is knitting and that all is well. And just as uplifting is that Kutie is truly back to herself again ... she's really smiling - an amazing Chow trait ... what a wonderful girl she is ... I think I love her even more as each day passes :-)! L x
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Lorna so glad to hear such a good report from the Vet..Wishing you both continuing success and happiness with this long recovery..
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

What a wonderful rescue story. Kutie is a beautiful girl and so lucky to have you Lorna. Glad to hear that her recovery is going so well. \:D/
Karen
Lorna Lake
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lorna Lake »

Hello again
Just thought I'd add a little to the above - Kutie had her 6-week check with sedation and x-rays and all is as well as it could possibly be ... Michael is delighted with her progress and also commented that she is clearly a very happy girl now who behaves just as a proper Chow should :-)! So she "talks" about everything - even when I go "shush" she looks at me as if to say "You don't say that to me!" She is such a huge personality who constantly delights me with her ways ... I'm utterly smitten! Thank you for all your kind thoughts. L x
astonblake
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by astonblake »

The home must need the good opportunity of food, lap and warm place.
If the chow can not feel comfort that would be the negetive side.
After all the home would be well organized..