Senior Chow Girl -- Northern CA

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Senior Chow Girl -- Northern CA

Post by Boogie and Linda »

A rural shelter in Ukiah, California up in Northern California has a senior blue Chow girl whose owners abandoned her at the shelter due to foreclosure after 13 years with them. She has been at the shelter about a month or so and the shelter is at double capacity. I can't take her because I have a full house right now but will transport her wherever she needs to go if there are any takers. I contacted the shelter offering to help get her to any rescue or even short term foster for her if there is a long term plan. They said they would give her until Friday to find a way out. Her info and picture are on PetHarbor.com. Her name is Indigo and her PetHarbor number ID#A120744

The same shelter also has 2 other chows, Oprah and Stedman, but they are not in as grave danger as Indigo and they even have a possible adopter who is coming to see them but if anyone is interested in them please contact them. Getting any dogs out gives others more time.
Jeff&Vicki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Desperate Senior Chow Girl has until Friday--Northern CA

Post by Jeff&Vicki »

ImageImage
Last edited by Jeff&Vicki on Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." .... Will Rogers
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Update -- I have been able to buy Indigo a little more time (a few more days). This shelter is actually extremely helpful in trying to get as many animals as possible out so she is being very flexible with me as long as we get a plan together. I still have not heard back from the rescue here as to whether or not they have a plan. So if anyone in California is interested or can help her out, please let me know ASAP.

As for Oprah and Stedman, supposedly there was an adopter interested but they are no longer responding to the shelter so they are still looking for homes as well.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Linda, are you working with a local rescue for Indigo?
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Kind of but not entirely if that makes sense. I contacted the shelter about all three chows after seeing they had been posted for over a month and I know they are pretty rural. I asked them if there were any rescues interested in them and offered to transport or short term foster for any of them as long as there was a long term plan for them. The shelter mentioned that Chow Chow Rescue of the Sierra Foothills had inquired about them and they asked me to work with them. I contacted the woman who had been in touch with the shelter and told her the same thing that I will pick them up and drive them where ever they have a place to go and that I can foster them very short term (maybe up to a month) but that I can't keep any of them long term. The woman I spoke to said she would pass that along to the head of the rescue. The shelter worker contacted me 2 more times asking if there was a plan since they have pretty much figured they won't be able to place Indigo due to her age and that they are double capacity. I let them know I am trying and she gave me until today for her. I have left messages with the head of the rescue but I haven't heard back and the shelter has not heard from her either. I have a last ditch offer from someone who doesn't want to see her put down because of her age but it will require me flying her which again may be an issue because of her age. I contacted the shelter this morning and let her know what is going on and she said as long as I am still working on it and responding to her she will give her a little more time. So if you have a rescue that will take her, by all means, please please do. I will pick her up and get her to where ever she needs to go.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Thanks for filling me in on what you've been doing to get the trio out of the shelter.

Kathi (KasperKisses on this site) handles the bulk of the chow rescue for CCR of the Sierra Foothills nowadays. I know she tends to be very busy both in her personal work and with coordinating all the chows she tries to help. But she is a keeper and is a woman of her word. Is Kathi the CCRSR person you have been trying to reach? I have her e-mail address if you want to contact her via email. You know how difficult it is to get the front line rescue person on the phone to chat.

As for Indigo, if you can foster her until July 6th, Loup Garou Animal Rescue will pull her. However, we'll need your help to transport and house her for a little bit. I'm not sure if you remember Jenn (Zingara_Princepessa on this site). She started a new rescue in town dedicated to the dark colored companion animals. I know she introduced her new venture at last year's ChowFest. She's been crazy busy with all these chihuahua mixes. She said LGR can take Indigo if we have a foster. We have a foster but "foster" (and Jenn) will be out of town till July 5th. I think if LGR receives Indigo, CCR of the Sierra Foothills won't mind since they might take Oprah and Stedman. Do you know if Indigo has been fully vetted. Is Indigo her name or was she renamed by the shelter. Can you ask? If Indigo is healthy, she is still adoptable. Muttville just pulled a senior black chow mix from Riverside by the name of Kanco, age 12. She was at the shelter and then a private kennel down there since March. Last week, Kanco was transported up to Muttville and already has a potential forever home.

What do you think of this plan? It's alot to ask. Is it do-able in your end?
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

I spoke to Kathi and she said she would talk to Lauren. Lauren called and left a message with my daughter but I have called her back 3 times and haven't heard back. I know people are busy and rescuing is a huge undertaking so I am not trying to make anyone sound bad, I am just saying that there was no response so the shelter gave her a time limit and said I was the only one responding.

I believe Indigo was her name since she was an owner turn in but I will double check. I will also ask if she has been fully vetted. They did say she didn't have any health issues that would make her not flyable so that leads me to believe they have done some vetting but again I will check.

As for fostering until July 5th, that is definately doable. My husband will pick her up on Tuesday (I believe the shelter is closed on Sunday and Monday). I can keep her seperate from the others in the yard and in the house until then just in case. Can you email either the shelter or me whatever paperwork they will need from the rescue?

And if Kathi or Lauren need me to pick up Oprah and Stedman while I am there I can do that too. I just need to know where they are going.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Can you do a couple of things for LGR? First, call your contact at the shelter and inform them that Loup Garou will call them to put a CIP on Indigo. Then tell her your husband will pick her up, etc... That way they know Indigo has a soft place to land. Second, can you e-mail me your telephone number? You have my private e-mail address. I want to put you and Jenn in contact with one another. Actually, we will need you to foster Indigo till July 6th. Jenn doesn't return till the 5th. BTW, what is your contact's name. When I call to put a CIP hold on Indigo, it might be nice to speak to your contact directly.

If you do speak to Kathi again, ask her to open up her Evite. We need her at CF this year! You'd really like getting to know her.

Update Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:18 pm: LGR has put a hold on her (Indigo). The paperwork is being filled out now for her release on Tuesday to your husband, Linda.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Okay, that is great Lou. Sorry I didn't respond yesterday. I was having an 18th birthday party for Caitlyn which was actually in Ukiah. I had planned on going to see Indigo since I was already there but we got caught up in a crazy Coast Guard inspection at the lake that set me back 2 hours and I didn't make it there. And my phone wasn't able to send emails from there. No 3G service....

Sage (the very helpful shelter contact) did send me the form she needed filled out but it sounds like you have that all taken care of. Sage also said Indigo has always been her name. She is heartworm negative. She has one eye that is a little weepy but otherwise is in good health as far as they can see. And fostering until the 6th is fine too. We can be flexible to whatever works for Jen. I have a kennel she can be in in the backyard to be seperate from the others and a crate to keep her safe in the house. We are also used to shuffling everyone around with the cat. I am worried about long term fostering because we have an irritating dominate young Pekingese that we got in February from the Martinez shelter that has brought out Boogie's dominance so I am just not sure how everyone will be together. And poor Teddie hasn't acted the same here since Fozzie passed away. It is like he is on strike from the world and wants to be obstinate now which was the total opposite of his personality before.

I can always short term foster for anyone but just can't commit to long term fostering with all the chaos. I will PM you my email address.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Boogie and Linda wrote:... Sorry I didn't respond yesterday... I will PM you my email address.
It's okay, Linda. Jeff (Jeff&Vicki) sent me a PM in the morning to tell me you had a full day planned on Saturday. So I decided to go ahead and call to put a CIP on Indigo. Plus, Jenn was at the San Jose Shelter breaking out three, pink tongued little ones and she told me to do it asap (CIP) so nothing happens to Indigo. She also told me to say THANK YOU!!

I'll put the two of you together via e-mail. I have your personal email addy. So look for one from me. Then you two can call one another and coordinate the time for Indigo to come here to the city - if you want Jenn to pick her up at your house, etc...

Also, when your husband picks her up, can you remind him to also get copies of her notes that were left from her previous owner. That way when we look for her new home, we'll have as much info from her past as possible.

THANK YOU!!!
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

You guys are just wonderful for rescuing Indigo. I hope she can live out the rest of her life in a wonderful home. Thanks again!!!!
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Indigo is now safe with me. My daughter went to pick her up today and just arrived back with her. Indigo met each of the dogs here and went on a short walk with them and is now out exploring the yard by herself. Her one eye is a little weepy and she walks very gingerly but I think her nails are overgrown. She is a little matted too but nothing a good brushing won't fix. Otherwise she seems pretty good for an old gal. She doesn't seem to like us touching her right now but I am sure there is just too much new stuff going on. She kind of shys away. When Frank came home she ran and hid down the side of the house but kept peeking at him. When he was filling the water she came out and was sniffing him. She keeps trying to potty but doesn't seem to be able to so I will need to watch that. And she just did a little zoomie out in the yard. After watching her walk so gingerly, I didn't think she had that in her but it sure looks to me like she has some spunk bless her heart.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Thank you again, Linda. Also thank you to Caitlyn. Sage called me and told me your daughter was picking Indigo up and I thought "in this rain"! I'm glad they both arrived home safely.

She sounds like a cute lady. She's probably telling your duo (Boogie and Teddie) her life adventures. Teddie might enjoy her company for the week. His attitude might change with the old gal there. I've noticed at the CF's the older chows get alot of respect from the younger ones.

I can't wait to meet Indigo in person. Will you tell me if she likes being in a crate? It must be odd for her to be able to poop on grass again. And liberating to be able to do a zoomie!
chica_2626
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chica_2626 »

Glad to hear she was rescued safely! What is a zoomie?
Jeff&Vicki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jeff&Vicki »

chica_2626 wrote:Glad to hear she was rescued safely! What is a zoomie?
I emailed you some links to Zoomies, but basically its when they get a wild hair and take off running for the pure joy of it.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." .... Will Rogers
chica_2626
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chica_2626 »

Aha! I didn't know there was a word for that. J.D. does that all the time! He literally ricochets off our couch like he's a pinball haha.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdPUfKMbViQ

Thanks for the tip! : )
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Quick update on Indigo. She is doing well. We haven't heard a peep out of her since she has been here. Teekie, our Pekingese, doesn't know what to make of her or why the other chows aren't doing something about her. She won't make eye contact with any of them and seems very shy and a little confused (which is understandable). They all met and took a walk yesterday and then no one besides Teekie has bothered her since. She came in last night and slept in the crate in the living room again with no sounds. Teekie has growled at her a little and he gets up in her face and she just turns away. I mentioned yesterday the poor girl seemed stopped up, well today she had a mess going on. It all came out and was stuck in her fur and was a huge mess. She doesn't really like to be touched yet but we had to clean her up so I spent my lunch hour getting as much as I could off of her. She still needs a bath which I am going to give her hopefully tomorrow after work although I did hose down her back end after getting all the stuck in stuff off. I don't know if I will be able to do anything with her nails though with how skiddish she is right now. Her eye has some green gunk coming out of it and the same eye has what I think may be a small growth of some sort on the eyelid. She won't look at us or let us look at it right now so it is hard to tell.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Another Indigo update -- I gave her a bath yesterday and brushed a ton of fur off of her and also cut off a lot of mats. She was all perked up when she left but there is a lot more work to be done. Today I took her to the vet for a check-up, to get her eye looked at, and to get her nails trimmed. Her eye has a growth on it which the vet said is common in older dogs. But this one is rubbing her eye so it will most likely need to be removed. For now we are putting erythromyacin (sp?) ointment on it twice a day and cleaning it. They also prescribed some antibiotics for her just to make sure the discharge doesn't turn into a respitory infection. Her nails are all trimmed up so she can walk better and she was prancing on out of there. Her heart was good and everything else was good but she is on the thin side so we will be giving her a little extra food. Maybe another scoop at lunch time. She is still shy and quiet. I have heard two noises out of her and they have both been well deserved corrections to Teekie being pushy and up in her face. She makes a quick loud roar at him and then hangs her head and walks away.
Zhuyos mom

Re: Senior Chow Girl -- Northern CA

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Updated photos of Indigo (after her two days of Spa pampering)! The stylist wanted to keep her "hippie" whispies. It brings out her, California raised in the Redwoods, laid back character!

ImageImage
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

chica_2626
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chica_2626 »

What a beautiful gal!
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Awww...She is lookin great. I can tell she is feeling better. She let you get a good face shot. :lol:
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

She's a beautiful senior girl, she looks a lot like my Baby that I lost to Cushing's last September.
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zingara_princepessa »

Awwww.....what a pretty girl! Thanx to Zhuyo's Mom, Linda, Caitlin & Frank for helping LGR get Indigo to safety! xoxoxo
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!