Zuba chow

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

sticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Zuba chow

Post by sticks »

Zuba went to his new home last night. They got a great dog and he was immediately loved by everyone.

Smokey on the other hand has now taken to attacking my 9 year old girl Angie. I notified the rescue group that I would not tolerate this...he is back to being on leash at all times. He better straighten up pronto. These actions will cause me to make decisions I don't really wish to consider.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Zuba chow

Post by Merlin »

great news for Zuba.... sad news for Smokey.
He better straighten up pronto.
This is not up to the dog but very much up to you via positive and strong leadership. Some chows are just naturally more submissive than others, while some are not submissive at all and it sounds like both Smokey and Angie are that way.

It really does take two to tango so Angie is playing a major role here too and giving off all the signals that are pushing Smokey's buttons. Both are alpha and neither want to rescind. You need to step in and let both know that they have no claims over anything. If you do that the situation should diffuse itself because both will understand their role in your home. Best of luck.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

We have gone through the same thing fostering. The easy going or cute ones always get a home quickly. The ones with issues are the ones that stay. Working through the issues is worth it and it will bond you. Please try not to resent Smokey. I am sure it is hard especially when the new guy is picking on "your" girl. It is important that he gets time inside off leash without her just as much as it is important for her. It is also important to figure out what triggers the fighting so you can avoid those situations. It is possible to all get along but it will take a lot of work.
sticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sticks »

=; There is no alpha from Angie...Smokey just flat out jumped on top of her and attacked. I know his routine of acting like he wants to play then he viciously attacks the other dog. The dark side is in him...he has even tried this routine with me and I flipped him with a knee to the chest.

Angie is a 100% voice trained trail dog and brought back Zuba after Smokey made him timid. She loves to play with any other dog regardless of breed. She has even tried to initiate play with Smokey. It has now taken me 4 days to restore her confidence that I am here for her and to protect her.

He has been relegated to the short leash 100% of the time except when is in the yard alone. Today he got the heel position for a 3 mile hike until he virtually strangled himself trying to do as he pleased...I am the top dog and he will either obey or...just as it is in their world it will be in mine.

I am more than tolerant and learned long ago that beating a dog gained nothing but their fear...I do not blame the dog and I will never mistreat him but he will either learn to obey and be more social...which I will give him more than ample time...or I will tell the rescue that he should be considered untrustworthy and dealt with accordingly.

And Merlin you do not know me or how many dogs I have had in my life which I have had one since I was 4...I am almost 58 now. Of those I have had 3 that were the classic "junk yard dog"...if you came to our house after dark unannounced...you were bit. So from this alpha to you...keep it on your side of the fence. :evil:
Zippie12
Rank 0
Rank 0

thanks...

Post by Zippie12 »

thanks, that helped me a lot!
regards,
chantal