Sheba from Eatonville washington

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

smee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Sheba from Eatonville washington

Post by smee »

My daughter found an ad in the local paper, free female chow. We brought Bear (big silly)with us to make sure they would get along. It broke my heart when I saw her, she was so thin I dont know how she was standing. The previous owners moved out and left her, the new owners were nice enough to let her hang around while they placed an ad. we were warned she fights over food, kills anything that moves, on and on.

When we got her home the abuse she endured started to show. she cowers and flinches when anyone came near, or tried to interact with her.She tried to kill the neighbors rooster more times than Id like to admit (I didnt know how tough roosters were) attacted bear over food, even our food, she has no teeth, ear infections in both ears, and she would not play. I can go on and on about the problems she came with. But we did not give up on her.

Its been 8 years and im happy to say she is not the same dog we brought home. We let her have 1 litter of pups (we wanted a pup or two from bear) we kept two, and found wonderful homes for the other 7. when we got her spayed the vet charged us 50.00 extra because she was obese. Food is and always will be very important to her. extra walks have helped her loose some weight. She no longer cowers or fights for food, she has plenty. She is still afraid of anything new, and I mean anything, new couch, table. She does NOT warm up to new people, she will always have trust issues. She seems very grateful to have been taken out of the situation she was in. She loves us and is very devoted. She even allows the neighbors chicken to visit from time to time

I will post pics when I figure out how, we have tons!!!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Sheba from Eatonville washington

Post by Sirchow »

It sounds like you have had some hard times getting to where you are now. But really a lot of problems dogs have are because we require them to fit into our human world. If she could live just with you and no new people wanting to stroke her or new furniture appearing in her world she would be quite happy. What is your chows name? If you want to post photos there are two ways I know. Below your reply is a button marked "upload attachment" and you just search for the picture or you can upload photoes to Photobucket, which you have to join, and from there you hover over the pics to be uploaded and click on the IMG code and copy it into your post. It gets easier as you do it. I would love to see pics of your rescue girl.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Just realised I am quite blind and presumably your girl is called Sheba?
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

What a tough road you all have travelled. NEVER, never will I understand how people can abuse animals. But, how wonderful that she got so much love from you to start fresh. What a wonderful story. Please show some pictures.
Mia