Beautiful young red female needs a home - *ADOPTED!*

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Beautiful young red female needs a home

Post by fillyok »

Chrisrock57, there are tons of Chows needing homes in California. Lots of people on here have shipped Chows all over the place. I got my Samantha from West Virginia (live in San Antonio). Check locally, then if you can't find one let us know and we'll help you find your Chow.

Kokogirl08, you're a saint for helping all these animals (especially Chows :wink: ). The hardest part of fostering is letting them go.
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

I would have to agree with Jeff. If you and your bf have bonded with her and it sounds like she's bonded with you, if it were me, I'd keep her. If the only problem now is the cats egging her on, I believe there's info in the training section that might help you teach the cats and her how to live together.

When I first got McKenzie she was okay with us walking her and petting her but then it took a staff member to help us get her in the car (supposedly someone else took her home and continually yelled at her about the car). So that took awhile, she was great in the car, she laid next to me the whole time and accidentally, touched my leg once, as soon as she realized she did, she pulled away. I didn't push her and just let her be. When we got home, it took us some time and treats to get her into the house so I'm guessing she was always an outside dog (even at the shelter). She slowly warmed up to me, I could see little changes in her every day. Now we're at the point where she runs up to me when I walk out of the bedroom every morning, lets me apply her medication (she previously must have thought I was trying to hurt her or it was just so unfamiliar, she tried to escape it), she throws herself into my lap when I'm on the floor with her, etc. She has come a LONG way in 5 weeks. It sounds like KoKo is adjusting very similar to McKenzie. It really does just take a little bit of time. Let us know how things go today.
CymoLovesChows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CymoLovesChows »

I took a Chow from Oklahoma to northern California. I flew. I gave Kirby (my beautiful Chow), some doggy downers (got them from the vet). He slept all the way on the plane. He was waking up as I claimed him at the airport.

However, I do not suggest doing this with your dog. She is a little afraid. Waking up to strangers would be to much for her. She would be confused thus making her defensive. My Chow woke up with me and he knew we kept each other safe so he felt safe.

Finding someone for the Chow and being REALLY successful will mean finding someone close and working that relationship up. That is not to say it won't work across country, it will just take more work. But having had Chows before, it is worth the work. She looks beautiful!

Good Luck!
KoKogirl08
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KoKogirl08 »

Hello all,

I met with the man who is interested in KoKo and he was very nice. He wanted to bring his dog to meet her as well but I told him not to because KoKo tested positive for round worm. I talked with him for a long time with KoKo sitting right next to me, she wasn't interested in him at all. She barely looked at him, she didn't even go over and sniff him. I've decided that he isn't the right person for her. He has 3 very young children (6,5 & 2) and my gut just tells me that it would all be too much for KoKo. Maybe I'm just finding excuses for not giving her up, but it didn't feel right.
She is doing better with the cats, so far. I've noticed that when the other dog isn't around (Lab/Pit) and the cats run she doesn't chase them, and neither does he. When the two of them are together they get excited and form a pack and try to corner the cats...it gets pretty scary. (My Jack Russell is totally fine with the cats, they love him and he loves them) I have to find out about training. We'll see what happens.
Yesterday I found out that she is terrified of the MOP. I took out my bucket and mop to do the kitchen floor and as soon as she saw the mop she freaked out. She was wimpering and put her tail between her legs and started to run away and pace back and forth...she was so nervous so I put the mop down and went to open the door for her to let her out in the yard, and the sliding screen door was closed and before I had a chance to open it for her she ran right through it. I went out in the yard to pet her and comofort her. I felt so bad for her...makes me wonder what might have happened to her :(
Attachments
IMG_1521_2.jpg
IMG_1521_2.jpg (18.6 KiB) Viewed 14454 times
I just think it's hysterical how they lay down!
I just think it's hysterical how they lay down!
IMG_1514_2.jpg (16.7 KiB) Viewed 14453 times
KoKo giving her paw
KoKo giving her paw
IMG_1513_2.jpg (16.63 KiB) Viewed 14451 times
scrpbk1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by scrpbk1 »

Thank you for all you are doing for KoKo. She is beautiful!

Love the photo of the paw shake!

Shelly
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

She is just so pretty. It sounds like she might have been abused with a mop for her to react that way. Poor thing. Too bad the meet and greet didn't go well with the potential adopter - are you seriously considering keeping her now?
ImageImageImage
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Aw, I feel so sorry for KoKo hearing about the mop. It seems that she was definitely hurt with it (or something like it) and it brought back a lot of bad memories. My 2 dogs will also gang up on the cats and chase them when they are together. They don't hurt them, but are much more likely to go after them when they're together. I think you are right to trust your gut instincts with the man interested in KoKo. That many children may be too much for her.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

KoKo looks like she's doing great.

I agree with the last two posters, that she may have been abused by a mop or broom or some sort of long stick for her to react like that. Either that or there's just something about it that she doesn't like.

McKenzie would freak with really loud noises, get skittish, the tail would go between her legs and she tried to run as far away as she could, if she couldn't run, she'd hide between my legs. Our trainer told us not to comfort her when this happens. To just act like it's normal. We have a few motorcyclists across the street, kids that play basketball almost 24 hours a day, and lots of construction going on so while I feel bad for her, the only thing that I can do to help her is make her realize that it's normal and those things aren't going to hurt her anymore (if they ever did). Since the trainer told me that about 3 weeks ago, she's actually doing much better. Now when she sees the motorcycles, she pushes her ears back (does that make her hearing less sensitive, I wonder?) With the kids playing basketball, she won't walk right by them yet, but she will now walk on the other side of the street (before she wouldn't even do that). So she is making progress. She also doesn't jump as much when someone accidentally drops something.

I'm not sure exactly how KoKo reacts and maybe other people can input on this but maybe it would help her to leave the mop out, where she can see it but yet it won't be close enough to make her worry? It may seem evil and I thought I was being mean by making McKenzie walk by all the loud noises (because it even hurt my ears sometimes when the construction guys would have the nail guns going like crazy) but it really has helped her and she hasn't held a grudge about it, I wonder if she even remembers how scared of everything she was before.
KoKogirl08
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KoKogirl08 »

I just wanted to give an update on KoKo. I think this has been one of the hardest things I've ever had to do....

I looked into KoKo's beautiful eyes and said goodbye today. I gave her a big long hug and and kissed her on the top of her head and handed her off to her new family. I haven't been able to stop crying since.

Her new family is everything I was hoping to find for her. They are in their 50's, have 2 grown children that don't live at home, live in Connecticut on a big piece of land, no cat's and no other dogs, thier referances checked out wonderfully, their vet gave them nothing but praise and said that they brought their previous dog in all the the time and kept up with all their appointments. They owned a female chow mix that recently passed away and they were devestated. I spoke with them on the phone and met them in person and they were just wonderful. I got a very good vibe from both of them. They seemed very caring and I know they will take great care of her. I just can't stop myself from crying...I miss her, and I keep thinking that I made a huge mistake. We were seriously considering keeping her until she bit (or nipped) at 2 of my cats. She didn't really hurt them, but for some reason when they jumped up on the coffee table she didn't like it and went after them and bit them in the behind. After those two instances I thought that it was maybe best if I continued to look for a good home for her. I found the good home but I'm having severe second thoughts now that she is gone. I miss her terribly. I can't get her face out of my mind, and I feel so guilty because she was so attached to me, and I let her down by not keeping her. This is really hard, I can't believe how attached I've gotten to her. I now know why all of you love this breed so much....there is just something about them that just reaches in and touches your heart. I will never forget her.
Last edited by KoKogirl08 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

As long as they know to bring her back to you if anything should ever change Koko should be fine. Did you mention this site? if they come here you can keep up with KoKo's new life.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

what you did for Koko was wonderful =D= and you gave her a second chance.if she had gone to a shelter she surely wouldn't have made it out alive.
you should be very proud of yourself for being such a loving foster Mom O:)
you did what you thought was best for everyone.knowing that she has a family that will love her should ease your pain somewhat.
big hugs to you for all you have done [:D]
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
KoKogirl08
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KoKogirl08 »

Thank you for the kind words.

I did tell them and had them sign an agreement that if they no longer want her they have to return her back to me at any time. I doubt that will happen, they seemed to have already fallen in love with her :)

I just called them to check on her (I couldn't wait any longer) and I feel much better now. The woman said that she ate her dinner, and she is following them around the house. She also said that their son is over visiting and KoKo let him take her for a walk. Right now she is sleeping on the floor near where they are. I'm very happy that she is with such a great family. The more I talk to them the more comfortable I feel. The woman said that she is always on her computer and I could email her anytime about KoKo. I told her that I would email her a link to this site so she can read up on KoKo and join in.

Thanks for letting me vent (crying my eyes out while typing). I'll be sad for a while, and I'll never forget KoKo but I know she is in a great home and it leaves me open to help more animals out. The Chow rescue I was working with asked if I would be willing to be a foster mom again. naturally I said I would be more than happy to help another Chow! :)
Attachments
Saying goodbye to KoKo
Saying goodbye to KoKo
IMG_1533_3.jpg (20.5 KiB) Viewed 14268 times
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Awwww It sounds like Koko found a perfect foster and the perfect forever family. I fostered a puppy for only a week and it was difficult to turn him over to his new mom (for all the reasons you stated, plus I thought Ping and Bear would miss him). I'm also a failed foster since I didn't have the heart to give Tod to anyone.
Thank you for what you do and especially what you did for Koko. You're right about Chows getting into your heart like no other breed. :x
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Thank you so much for the update on KoKo. For what it's worth, I think you did the right thing. Her new family sounds PERFECT! It sounds like she is already adjusting to her new home. It's nice that they want to keep in touch...I would want that too. And yes, now you are open to helping another chow in need. I wish I could do that. You have done a very wonderful thing for KoKo and I'm sure you'll always have a special place in her heart. You saved her life!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

God bless you! You saved Koko and found her a forever home where she will be well loved. You are a strong person to be able to give her up and I am sure it was one of the hardest things you have done. (I am a failed foster, Teddy was my foster chow and he is never leaving me).

And now you are ready and able to help another chow, saving another life. You have earned your place in heaven in my theology.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
KoKogirl08
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KoKogirl08 »

Thank you all again. You are all so nice and encouraging, and this site is such a blessing because It's made this VERY difficult time for me a bit more bareable.

I'm not so sure that I'm a great foster mom because I can't stop crying and obsessing over her! I just can't help it....I miss her SOOOO much. I'm trying not to bother them too much with my emails asking how she is doing.

I caught my boyfriend yesterday staring at one of her tennis balls that are out in our yard and his eyes were all tearing up. I NEVER saw him cry before, and I went over by him and he said, he can't believe how much he misses her, she was just such a great dog. That of course sent me on another crying fit!

My little Jack Russell was at my parent's house for a few days while we got KoKo ready to leave with her new family, so yesterday I went to go pick him up and bring him back home. As soon as we got home he ran inside and looked all over the house for her. It was so sad & cute he misses her too.

If anyone knows of a Chow that needs help around my area, let me know. I live in Nutley New Jersey (North Jersey), I'm only 10 minutes from NYC, not too far from Connecticut or PA. I was searching on line and came accross one on pet finder http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/dis ... d=11196414

She is beautiful! I asked if she was still available for adoption or in need of a foster home.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Yes, Hannah is a pretty girl. I think you have been bitten by the "chow love bug", like the rest of us!
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
KoKogirl08
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KoKogirl08 »

Yes it's so true, I have been bitten by the Chow Love Bug!

I'm not having a very good day....I really miss her. I keep finding little things around the house that she played with, and I'm very sad. I made a huge mistake :(
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. I know how much these beautiful chows worm their way into your heart! My chowmix Bear was so special and he and I just had some kind of connection...he knew me and I knew him..we just seemed to understand each other. I thought I'd never find that again, and then along came Molly. Bear was so dear. It's not exactly the same, and I haven't been with her as long as I was with Bear (hopefully though, I'll have her for 13 or more years!), but it's awfully darn close. Maybe KoKo was meant to find a new home so you can keep helping others who need help like her..? Take care.
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I agree with Cora. maybe Koko was sent to you for a reason.
it was very loving of you to let her go as you thought she would be happier with a family.and you were very choosey who she went to.
you did what you thought was best.
what you did for her was just amazing :D
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
KoKogirl08
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KoKogirl08 »

Thanks Cora [:D] that's what I keep trying to tell myself.
KoKogirl08
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KoKogirl08 »

I had a bad day today. I missed koko a lot and kept thinking I made a mistake in finding her a new home, but after speaking with her new mom and doing some soul searching, I realized that I did make the right decision. I couldn't have asked for a better family for koko to be with, and I remembered the reason why I wanted to find her a good home in the first place. The reason was my 3 cats. Although KoKo was getting better with them, I still couldn't trust her 100% around them and 2 out of the 3 were still terrified around her. Since she has left for her new home, the cats are back to their normal mischevious selves running all around the house causing havoc, jumping all over poor Fritz the Jack Russell and not being scared to run and play in their house. I realized I was being selfish for wanting her back for my own reasons. I will miss her dearly, always love her and she will always have a special place in my heart but I know she will do better in her new home with all the attention and love given only to her and I know my cats are greatful that they have their house back (till the next chow in need comes along...LOL) :x
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

It sounds like you are doing better...I'm glad. How is KoKo doing in her new home? It is so nice you can talk to her new family and hear about their progress. Yes, I think it's a very good home for her, with all the attention and love to herself. I'm glad you are feeling better!
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
VioletD
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by VioletD »

Hi,
I am Koko's new mom and I love her. I want to let everyone know what a wonderful, caring person her rescuer is. I feel blessed not only to have Koko in my life but to have met such a person as her foster mom. Thank you for giving her to my husband and I. We know how difficult it was for you but I promise you she will have a wonderful home here and a long and healthy life. Koko has been here since Fri. and is making progress in letting us pet her. She loves to play and sleep with us but still isn't sure we can be trusted to pet her. Although she was so excited to see me when I came home today she used her nose on my hand to make me pet her. She didn't have to ask twice. She let me pet her all over and couldn't seem to get enough of my attention. I'm not pushing it though and still giving her time and space. Thanks again for all you did for Koko. Foster mom, you are a beautiful person and I'd love to keep in touch with you and find out about all your future rescues. Koko was lucky you were there for her!!!
VioletD
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

VioletD, it's so great to hear from you! I am glad to hear you love KoKo so much. You are doing the right thing by giving her space when she needs it. Yes, her rescuer did a wonderful thing for Koko. You also are doing wonderful things for her. You are giving her a great home and lots of love and understanding. I am so glad to hear from you and hope you will keep us informed as to how Koko is doing!
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand