Beautiful young red female needs a home - *ADOPTED!*

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

KoKogirl08
Rank 0
Rank 0

Beautiful young red female needs a home - *ADOPTED!*

Post by KoKogirl08 »

Hello,
I just rescued a very beautiful female Chow. Her name is KoKo and she lived across the street from me. Her owners suddenly moved (with not warning to anyone) and left her alone in the house with no food or water, and after speaking with the other neighbors I was told that she was kept outside all the time, never taken on walks and was hit....(I was not aware that this was going on right across from my house or I would have done something about it sooner) I called the SPCA and an officer came to take a look at the dog and write up a report. He charged the owners with 8 counts of animal cruelty. I was so upset and felt so bad for Koko. She was confused, scared and lonely. After speaking to local Chow Chow rescue I decided that I would take her in until I found her a good home....I couldn't bare to have her put in a shelter. She is a very sweet dog, but I think I'm in a little too over my head! I LOVE all animals, but I've never owned a Chow before. I'm having some issues because I don't know how to handle her.
First off I have 3 cats and she doesn't like when they try to play with her. I have to keep them seperated at all times which is getting really hard to do, and it's not fair to them to keep them locked in a room all the time. (She is great with dogs and plays with my Lab/PittBull mix, and loves meeting new dogs on our walks.) Second, she is really scared. She won't leave my side and cries when I leave her, I think she has become protective of me...she's been here for 7 days and she still won't really let anyone pet her but me. I will be sitting in the office working and she is laying under the desk at my feet and If my boyfriend (who lives with me) walks past she gets up and growls and barks at him, and I have to tell her it's okay and pet her to calmn her. I don't think she is trying to be aggressive but just cautious. She is scared of having a collar & leash put on her, she is scared of being brushed, and won't let anyone (including myself) touch her back and tail...she runs away if you try. (She hasn't growled or snapped at me at all) but I just don't know how to handle her. I know she will be a great dog, I really think she just needs to be in a more quiet home where she can get patience and love, and it would be great if she had another canine companion.
I've contacted a local Chow rescue, they don't have any room to take her in, but they are helping me search for a home for her. If there is anyone out there that is experianced in Chow's and is willing to adopt her and give her a good quiet home with lots of love and attention, and NO CATS OR CHILDREN, please let me know!!! I'm desperate to get her into the right home. She deserves to finally be happy and safe.
Bye the way, I live in Essex County New Jersey.
Attachments
IMG_1505_2.jpg
IMG_1505_2.jpg (21.4 KiB) Viewed 22228 times
Last edited by KoKogirl08 on Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Beautiful young red female needs a home

Post by jacqui »

its wonderful of you for taking Koko in.she looks like a sweetheart.
I cannot take her but would be happy to help with transport if anyone can take her.
I hope she can find a loving home.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
KoKogirl08
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KoKogirl08 »

Thank you so much for the offer! I've been browsing through all the forum's and I am so amazed at how many kind & good people are out there willing to help this wonderful breed that I am just getting to know. I have many questions about Koko and have already found some wonderful resources that will help me understand her more. To be honest I was a little afraid of her at first because of all the negative comments I would hear about Chows, but I now understand that they are not an average kind of dog and they just need some respect, patience & lots of love. Koko really is a sweetheart. The first day I met her she was a little shy with me, but I gave her treats and kept telling her she was a good girl and in a few hours she was jumping up putting her paws on my chest and licking my face. After a few days I discovered that she knows how to Sit, Give Paw, Stay & Lay Down, so I know she has the potential to be the PERFECT companion to someone who will accept & love her.
I am really going to miss her and I'm sure I will cry my eyes out when the time comes to say good bye to her. I wish I could keep her, but I think she would be better off in a house with less animals and someone with some Chow experiance. Her happiness and safety is all that matters.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

What a pretty girl. Do you have any idea if she is spayed or had shots, etc? Also, you mentioned that she won't let anyone touch her back or tail, has she been seen by a vet to rule out any injuries? I hope that we can help you find a home for her. You did a really wonderful thing by taking her in and researching the breed and now trying to find a responsible, knowledgeable home for her.
ImageImageImage
Lisa_D
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lisa_D »

OMG! She is gorgeous!!! Bless you for taking her in and trying to find a proper home.

Awesome banner compliments of Sweetpea, Thank you!
KoKogirl08
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KoKogirl08 »

She has a vet appointment this Wednesday. I don't have any medical history on her but she will get a full exam, blood work and shots. If she is not spayed, I will have it done as soon as the vet clears it.

I'm also very happy to report that Koko had a very good day today. She met a lot of new people and she seemed a little more comfortable than she has been. I showed them the propper way to introduce themselves to her and she did great. I was even bold enough to let the cats out (with supervision of course) and she totally ignored them. I was so impressed with her, she got extra treats! :)
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Wow, you are doing a great job with KoKo! I wish other chows in need could find people like you more often! She is beautiful and it sounds like you are already making lots of progress with her! I can't take her (2 dogs, 2 kids, 3 cats, a donkey 2 horses and a pony), but if you ever need help money wise, I'd be glad to help with what I can. Good luck!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

She's so gorgeous!!! I'm sure it won't take too long for her to find a home considering how stunning she is!
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wallacethegreat »

Thank you SO much for taking KoKo in!
Here's something to have the vet check: If she won't let anyone touch her back or tail, have him check the alignment of her spine. If she was kicked and beaten, that treatment might have knocked her spine out of alignment. Just an idea...
Good luck, KoKo's angel!
Attachments
Fozzie Bear CU 091008.JPG
Fozzie Bear CU 091008.JPG (28.76 KiB) Viewed 22053 times
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows
KoKogirl08
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KoKogirl08 »

Thank you all so much. I will ask the vet to check everything out you suggested.
The Chow rescue contacted me and said that they have someone very interesed in Koko. He has a male Chow now that he adopted from the same rescue and he also had a female that recently passed away. The rescue told me that he has great referances and they have met him several times before. I talked with him on the phone today. He seemed very nice and concerned about Koko, he told me that he grew up with Chows and knows about their personality, and he assured me she would have a great home and told me I could come check it out for myself (he lives in Long Island, NY not too far). I asked him how his male dog was when he first took him home from the rescue foster home, and he said that he was also very shy and wouldn't let anyone come near him for a while, he said that he is now great with his wife & children but when a stranger comes he backs away and barks at them. Koko doesn't do that, she doesn't bark or growl she comes over and sniffs them but if they try to pet her she will back away.
The only thing I'm concerned with is that he has a 2yr old child. I told him that I don't know how she is with children and I wouldn't even know how to test her, but he could come meet her and see how she is for himself. He told me that his children have grown up with the Chows he adopted and they know not to bother them at first, but still I'm nervous about a 2 yr old pulling on her hair & tail. She is getting better day by day...today she let me put a new coller on her and she didn't back or squirm away and hide like she did before.
Attachments
Koko taking a nap after a long day of walks in the park
Koko taking a nap after a long day of walks in the park
IMG_1512_2.jpg (17.65 KiB) Viewed 21982 times
Koko lounging in the kitchen
Koko lounging in the kitchen
IMG_1510_2.jpg (18.9 KiB) Viewed 21978 times
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Koko looks more and more relaxed in every picture. It sounds like a good prospect for a home for her! The man sounds like he knows what he's doing. I'd certainly give him a try. Good luck with everything. It is so nice to follow Koko's story and hear about all the progress you are making!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Trouble is she is getting use to you and settling in she may not be like that when she goes to a new home for awhile until she starts trusting the new people. I wouldn't be to worried about her back and tail my Chow doesn't like anyone approaching her from the rear or touching her back and tail except for me, peripheral vision isn't to great on a Chow so they want to see who and what is going on in the rear thats why they spin around, it may look like they are going to bite but they just want to see whats up and who'd touching them. The Chow probably won't have any problem with kids as long as the kids are trained.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

you are doing great with Koko.thats great that someone with Chow experiance is interested in her.she looks great :D
thank you for keeping us posted.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
KoKogirl08
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KoKogirl08 »

just wanted to give an update on Koko. I took her to the vet and she got all her shots, she weighs 45 lbs, the doctor thinks she is less than 2 yrs old, her teeth are great, her heart is great (heart worm negative), her breathing is great, her eyes & ears are great. She had a big breakthrough yesterday she actually let me pet her back and tail, but I asked the vet to check her just in case and she said everything is fine. They will let me know the lab results tomorrow on worms. The only thing we couldn't confirm is if she was spayed. The doctor couldn't detect a scar, but said that it doesn't necessarily mean that she isn't. She said that she will have to be watched for signs of heat.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Thank you for the update. I was wondering how KoKo was doing. She sounds like she is in good shape! Like I said, you are doing wonderful things for her!!
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

I just wanted to commend you on the great job you're doing with KoKo. It sounds like she's starting to warm up to you well. It always does take a little time. Are you still trying to find her another home or do you think things might work out well now? I don't know if she's any better with your boyfriend or the other reasons you had first listed.
KoKogirl08
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KoKogirl08 »

Thank you so much :)

I would really love to keep her she really is a great dog and I've learned so much from her and I respect and appreciate the breed so much, but with my 3 cats it's not a good idea. Koko loves to chase squirells & cats....she's been some what okay with my cats but if one of them happens to run, koko's instincts kick in and she charges after. I have to be very alert when they are together, I can't predict what their actions are going to be. I don't know if she is charging them to attack or if she is playing but I really don't want to find out. It's also not fair to Koko to keep getting yelled at for chasing the cats when it's not her fault it's her instinct, and I love my cats too much to keep them in this stressful environment.

I love all animals and I volunteer, donate and do everything I can to help them. I can't sit back and watch a stray animal go hungry, or see an animal abused or neglected. This isn't my first rescue all of my pets were saved. (The Lab/PitBull mix is my friend's dog) 1 of my cats I found on the sidewalk, he was about a week or 2 weeks old and something must have happened to the mother. I took him in...I bottle fed him and took him to work with me, till he was able to eat solid food. My other 2 cats were at one time someone's pets and were thrown out on the street, they were both beaten up and emaciated. I instanly fell in love with them and nursed them back to health. My Jack Russell I actually saw being abused. I was visiting my father's supermarket on a very hot & humid summer day and next door was a garage with a little puppy chained up and muzzled and a man hit & kicked him, I couldn't believe what I saw. I walked over to the man and started yelling at him and it turned into a big ordeal...I told him I was calling the SPCA on him and to try to make a long story short....he finally greed to give the puppy up. That was 5 years ago and my once abused and terrified Jack Russell is now happy & playful and knows he will never be hurt again, as do my cats.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Our chow, Molly also likes to chase cats IF they run. We have one that is in the house all the time and 2 that go in and outdoors. 2 out of the 3 are quite used to her and don't always run from her now. The third is still trying to get his courage up to be around her. I think he will, it's just taking longer. Molly doesn't want to hurt them, just enjoys the chase...and sometimes I think the cats are egging her on! It is wonderful that you have rescued so many animals. We need more people like you! I'm sure someone will give KoKo a great home!
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
KoKogirl08
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KoKogirl08 »

haha! you're right KoKo only chases them IF they run....that's so true! and one of my cat's eggs her on...he is terrified of her but won't learn his lesson and just leave her alone, he keeps coming over by her and swatting at her tail or her head as she walks by...which she doesn't appreciate, and when she turns to give it back to him he RUNS and knocks everything over in his way which makes her run after him, which then makes the other 2 cats and dog run as well.... so needless to say it looks like a tornado blew threw the house by the time I can stop it....but that's a typical cat for you, their curiosity gets the best of them! lol Other than the cat issue, she is great. Everything else I was worried about she proved me wrong on. She lets me pet her all over and brush her now, and she is fine with my boyfriend. I even think she will be good with kids....just as long as they give her some space and time to adjust.
Tha man that is interested in her would like to come meet her tomorrow (if it doesn't rain), I'm getting very nervous & sad the more I think about it. It's going to be very hard to let her go when the time comes.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'll bet you are having mixed feelings about KoKo leaving. I know it would be hard for me, too. You are doing what is best for her, and that is the main thing. Hopefully, whoever takes her, will keep in touch so you aren't totally cut off from her! Good luck tomorrow! :D
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
chrisrock57
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chrisrock57 »

My husband (who has experience with chows) and I would adopt her in a second. But we live in California.We have been searching all of the chow chow rescue sights in California. Does anyone know about shipping pets? It must be such a scary experience, I don't think I'd try that route.
KoKogirl08
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KoKogirl08 »

I don't have the first clue on transporting them. I don't know how or if it's traumatic on the dogs. I know a few of the members on here have experiance in rescue and transport, I'm sure they can explain how it's done.

Have you tried posting in the "Chows Wanted" section? Such a shame...I wish we lived closer! Let me know if I can help with anything.
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

Ok, I was just wondering because you sounded iffy about keeping her. I think you have a great outlook on things but I'm sure 3 cats and 2 dogs would be a handful for you! KoKo is a beauty, I don't doubt she'll find a great home and I totally understand the mixed feelings. I've only had McKenzie for 5 weeks tomorrow and she has made so much progress and is so wonderful that I couldn't imagine giving her up! I do hope if this guy is a good match, that he keeps in touch and sends you pictures and stuff (at least around the holidays). That way you can still see her changing and be somewhat involved even after her initial save. Thank you for helping a chow!
KoKogirl08
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KoKogirl08 »

I really am iffy about it. I'm going to miss her a lot...as I'm typing right now she is laying on my feet and any move I make she looks up at me with this face as if she is saying "are you okay?" her eyes are just to die for! My boyfriend is getting really attached to her also.

You said that you got your dog 5 weeks ago.....how has it been? Did it take a while for him/her to bond with you? Do you have any other pets?

IF this guy turns out to be okay and I get a good vibe from him, one of my conditions is that he keeps me updated on her and sends pictures! I'll see how tomorrow goes....If I don't get the right feeling from him then it's a no go.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

My vote would be just to keep her she has bounded with you and apperantly you have bonded with her. she has made it this far with out killing the cats i'm sure she will be fine. Cat killer or not Chows do know who belongs in the house and will get to the point she isn't concened with the cats anymore, your cats that is.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage