chewie the chow chow needs loving family

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

suzzane72
Rank 0
Rank 0

chewie the chow chow needs loving family

Post by suzzane72 »

Our beautiful chow baby is in need of a new home. Chewie is a 1.5 y/o spayed female red chow chow. She has also had a successful entropion repair. Chewie is intelligent, easy-going, and leash trained. She is also loving and playful, at times of her choosing :). She is well-mannered with friends and family (with the occassional gruff at a stranger). She does not get along with other female dogs and will attack them very aggressively if given opportunity. Chewie does get on famously with our male pug mix. She also lives happily with our four children (all over age 9). Great dog right!? Unfortunately, we are military and received unexpected orders to move. We currently live outside of San Antonio TX. We would be willing to assist in moving Chewie to the right home. Haven't figured out how to add pictures to post (files to big), but if you are interested would be happy to e-mail them. My e-mail address is suzzane72@yahoo.com. Please feel free to send any and all questions.
Abbiegirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: chewie the chow chow needs loving family

Post by Abbiegirl »

I am also a Military family...Whenever my husband receives orders for us to move, ALL of our animals go with us...that is complete BS when someone lays the excuse "oh my hubby has orders to move so we can't keep the pet". Would you leave one of your children behind?? But thats not the point now because the fact is you have made the decision to get rid of your pet that has bonded with your family for the past year and a half, so I pray someone will give this special girl a home...and please please don't ever, ever get another pet in the future..you are not worthy of a pets love and devotion.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Abbiegirl, please read (or re-read) the thread at the top of this section posted by Kingalls. This section (Chow Chows that need a home) is a listing section. People should be free to post when they need help with placing a Chow WITHOUT being judged. Thank you for your service as a military family.

Suzzane72, I'm in San Antonio and might be able to help in some way. I also just retired from the military in June, so I understand how difficult times can get for you, especially with a full house. I'll email you to discuss what we might be able to do for Chewie. Maybe she'd be a perfect fit for someone on this board. Please don't get discouraged.

"Don't criticize what you don't understand, son. You never walked in that man's shoes." Elvis Presley
Abbiegirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Abbiegirl »

Filly...you have the right to express your feelings as I do mine. I stand behind what I said 110%. So many people toss away an animal like an old dish rag and I am sick of it. Yes she has the right to post here to find a home for her Chow and I have the right to post here exactly what I think of her thankyou very much!!! My feelings are for the animal not her.

PS~I have been in those shoes and my dogs go with me...end of story.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Abbiegirl, I wasn't posting my "feelings". I was attempting to get you to read the rules for this section of the forum. Since you didn't catch my drift, I'll post the rules here for you. It's amazing that you don't even know Suzzane72, but you know what her situation is right now and assume you've been in her shoes. I avoid getting into pissing matches with most people, but I'll stand my ground when it comes to helping my fellow HUMANS and Chows...thank you very much!!!

The Chow Chows That Need a Home section is a LISTING service. This section is to aide those who need to post a chow in need, and to feel safe and not judged or heckled about whatever decision, in whatever place their life is at to have to give up their chow.

While it doesn't hurt to have some educational guidelines and common sense to help people think about what they are doing and about being responsible with animals. It's also important to realize that there are always circumstances that people cannot control that puts them into the situation where they have to give up the animals they care for and love, even if they don't want to. Thus, members of the forum should realize this and not be quick to judge people for their decisions without fully knowing their reasons and circumstances. Again, keep in mind this is NOT a discussion section but a listing service. Please be respectful to those who have to list a chow in need of a home.

Additionally, as we discourage breeders posting threads advertising new litters they have or expect to have, nor does cc.org accomodate their commercial practice, it is important to know this section "Chow Chows That Need a Home" was created for chow chows who are in danger of being displaced or have been displaced from their home. Aside from 501(c)3 rescue organizations who have a section dedicated for their needs, duplicate threads regarding the chow chow who needs a home should not be cross-posted into the other forum sections to advertise their need. Please respect these principles.
Abbiegirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Abbiegirl »

Still stand by my opinion. We are talking about a non aggressive, loving chow according to the owners description that has stated reasons for giving up the chow is due to husbands military orders. I know about military orders and have witnessed military families getting rid of pets when they move because its a "hassle" to move with them, only to get another pet when they arrive at their new location..I'm not saying this is the case with this individual. What I am saying is the dog can go with you. There arent rules against animals in the military, we've been military for 15 yrs. Its sad to say the least but the bottom line is finding a loving home for this chow that no doubt will be heartbroken and to that I am grateful you are close by and willing to help. Kudos to you for offering your help.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

The owner dosn't sound like she is to happy with giving up the Chow so Instead of trying to help her rehome the Chow maybe she wants to keep it but doesn't think she can, She may not know the requirements of the military and dogs, she may not know if the base she is going to allows dogs. She may not have the money to ship the dog, nothing a few donations can't handle. I would check with her and see if she would rather keep the Chow instead of rehoming it then try to help her with what ever it takes to keep it. Unless she just dosn't want it any more or doesn't want to be bothered then as the last resort thats when you help her rehome the Chow.

San Antonio most likely means she is in the AF, the AF is way more dog friendly then the other branches and will help her with shipping on cargo depending on the policies of the base she is going to so she may be able to keep the Chow with a little help in finding out how to keep it.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I've emailed the owner, but haven't heard back from her yet. There could be a lot of reasons why she needs to re-home Chewie...base housing comes to mind. I know for a fact that Ft Meade in Maryland has a restricted dog list for housing and Chows are on it. I'm pretty sure other bases/posts will have the same restrictions.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Chewie's mom sent me these pics. She also mentioned it is a housing issue. They'll be in base housing and they only allow two dogs (they have 3). Her husband will be moving soon and she and the kids will follow later. During the transition, they'll be staying with family that has a female dog that Chewie does not get along with. This is a direct quote from her email (I hope she doesn't mind)... "We felt it in Chewie's best interest to find her a new "forever" home. Chewie has had excellent vet care and is UTD on shots. I am trying desperately to avoid a rescue. I would just like to find her a home where she will be loved and cared for permanently."
Chewie's mom also mentioned that due to a change in her husband's career they'll probably be moving more frequently than previously expected. She's willing to assist with moving costs to ensure Chewie gets a great home.

suzzane72
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by suzzane72 »

Filly
Thank you for your support and assistance. Chewie says "Thank you!"
Lisa_D
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lisa_D »

Chewie is gorgeous! I hope you are able to find a good forever home for her!

Awesome banner compliments of Sweetpea, Thank you!
Abbiegirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Abbiegirl »

Chewie is absolutely gorgeous. My heart is breaking for her and I pray someone will take her and keep her in a loving forever home.
nean007
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nean007 »

Abbiegirl, fillyok is a forum moderator which means that she has the right and responsibility to enlighten/correct/scold anyone she sees fit. It doesn't seem that you are getting that concept. Here's a thought: do you know anyone who may be willing to help out suzzane72?
Hugs from Dargo and Denny!
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Actually, I'm not a moderator...just someone with a bleeding heart that likes to help people. :wink: This section tears at my heart and I know people that are trying to re-home their Chows must be in turmoil.
nean007
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nean007 »

Fillyok, my apologies. I thought you were a mod based on other messages throughout the site. Who are the moderators, anyway? You seem to have the heart/wisdom of a mod :)

I agree with you 100%. The last thing people need are anger and judgement thrown at them. At least they are trying to solve the situation rather than what seems to be hundreds of people simply abandoning their animals due to foreclosure, life issues, etc. I'm just glad there have been some happy ending stories lately (Dandelion and Barry). Does anyone know how gamemaster is holding up after the loss of Bear? I think of them often. That was a truly tragic story combined with the stress on the family must have been almost unbearable.
Hugs from Dargo and Denny!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I've been wondering about him, too. I hope they are getting through the grief. What a tragic story. It still bothers me.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
suzzane72
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by suzzane72 »

Regardless of anyone's opinion of me or my family's circumstance, we need a stable permanent home for Chewie. I did not, at the first hint of orders to move, run out and dump my 3 dogs and 1 cat off at the nearest shelter (as above we can only keep 2 pets). A dear friend offered a home for our cat and she's living happily with him and his daughters. After much family deliberation, it was decided Chewie is least likely to tolerate repeated moves and possible lengthy kenneling. Unfortunately, Chew Chew does not get along with other female dogs. This is certainly not her fault. However, if she does not have a new home by the end of Sept., she will no longer spend 80% of her time in the house with her family. She will be living in an outdoor pen for approximately 3 months. In December when we move, we have no guarantee base housing will be available. If we are required to take TLF (temp. lodging) there is a significant chance Chew will need kenneling. Chewie is young healthy and friendly. We will be so sad to have her leave us, but feel it is in her best long-term interest. Again, I'm not interested in anyone's opinion of me, just help us find Chewie the great family she deserves.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

bump
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Abbiegirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Abbiegirl »

Has anyone heard anything about Chewie? Someone that lived near had offered help, I hope she found a good home.
suzzane72
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by suzzane72 »

Chewie does not yet have new home. We continue to be hopeful for her to find the right family. This site is filled with wonderful people and a wealth of chow chow info. Certainly wish we had found it sooner. Please don't hesitate to e-mail at suzzane72@yahoo.com if anyone knows of a family for Chewie. Many thanks! ps When we find Chewie a new family will post it to this site.
momtobear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by momtobear »

nean007 wrote: Does anyone know how gamemaster is holding up after the loss of Bear? I think of them often. That was a truly tragic story combined with the stress on the family must have been almost unbearable.

Hi. I'm his wife. It has been unbearable. I think of him everyday. Dave can't even visit the site anymore. it is just too painful for him. thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers. we really appreiciated it.
Baby Bear we miss you!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm so sorry, momtobear. hope you will both feel a bit better soon. Chewie needs a home....
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
momtobear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by momtobear »

I wish I could talk my husband into it but..... I don't think we will be getting anouther dog for some time. At least until we move from the area we are in now.
Baby Bear we miss you!
suzzane72
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by suzzane72 »

Very happy for Mia and her new family! We're hoping the same for Chewie. We continue to "ask around" in our community, but frequently get the "oh its a chow" look. Again, please e-mail us with leads for a good home. O:)
suzzane72
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by suzzane72 »

Is there not someone that can give Chewie a great home? After MUCH consideration, we would be doing her a great dis-service by keeping her. She needs a stable permanent home. No, she is not on the street, beaten, neglected, people aggressive, or any of the horrible things that happen to chows, but she needs a new family. Please, if anyone can give or knows of a great home for her, let us know. We cannot keep her and are now trying to place her with a rescue.