Looking for a new companion

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

duallypilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Looking for a new companion

Post by duallypilot »

My wife and I lost our 2nd Chow Chow to old age last June. We've mourned and it's now time to find another. We live in Raytown, MO (a suburb of Kansas City) and have a huge double lot. I've been watching the ads and it seems like all the chows are from the west coast. We would prefer a female, but we'll look at them all.
Please help fill our lives with another "fur ball".
My email is blackwater.designs@gmail.com
Thank you.
Jerrald
"Here I go down the road again.. turn the page"
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Looking for a new companion

Post by Jeff&Peks »

It dosn't matter where the Chow is located if you find a Chow in a shelter in what ever state we will try to get it to you some how.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

So sorry to hear about your Chowbaby passing. Anyway, welcome to the site and we love pics (including those that have gone over the rainbow). There's a memorial section if you want to post there, but be warned the stories and pics are heartbreakers.

Poor Mia in Palm Beach needs a home!! She sounds like she got a bum rap in her home and just needs a seasoned Chow person to take her in. Her owner hasn't posted in a while, so we have no idea what's going on with her...maybe it's too late, which would be a shame.

And Jeff's correct...when there's a Chow needing a ride, we try our best to get them home.

West Texas Chow rescue has some real beauties and handsome devils. Another place to check is TLC Chow Rescue (our very own Larry and Terrina own it) and there's always Petfinder. I noticed Best Friends Animal Society had about 14 Chows yesterday when I was looking. Some were older, but some were young and gorgeous. Good luck on your search...I'm sure you know by now that "the one" will find you when the time it right.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Good luck in your search! There are so many chows needing homes out there, don't let distance stop you! Many of us are happy to help in any way we can to get these chows homes - especially with those who know the uniqueness of the breed and have experience with them. Look around and let us know if you need anything!! :D
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

They're all really cute, but that Paulette is something else...too cute.

Duallypilot, have you found a new Chowbaby yet?
duallypilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by duallypilot »

No we haven't. I fell in love with the 3 month old brother and sister pups in San-Fransisco that was posted in this thread Monday, but have no way of getting them back to Missouri. So much fro that.
I was going to call the shelter in ST Louis about the one they call Pooh Bear tomorrow morning. We'll see what transpires.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Phyllis I like Paulette too!
Pooh Bear is gorgeous! Please let us know what you find out. I hope it's a match :D .
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Yes, Pooh Bear is a beauty! I hope he's the one for you! The creams are so beautiful.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Jerrald,

I wish you lived closer too. Would you consider this cream girl? http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11364
Your home sounds like a very experienced chow family and maybe this girl will grow to be secure and thrive in your care.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Zhuyo's Mom you read my mind. I was just coming here to post Mia. :D
duallypilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by duallypilot »

Just an update that I promised - I called about "Pooh Bear" and apparently he bit one of the shelter workers so they labeled him un-adoptable and put him down. I have the feeling someone got rushed and tried to "man-handle" him and he protected himself.
What a shame.
Mia is a pretty girl - I'll have to discuss her with my wife.
Thanks for everyone's help and support.
Jerrald
Katies Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Katies Mom »

Jerrald, Laura, Zhuyo's Mom:

That IS SUCH a shame about Pooh Bear . . .

I still have Merlin's crate and dishes and I'm willing to assist the owner in making her flight arrangements if you decide to take her. No pressure, just an offer to help out where I can. She'll need a few things done (like a health certificate) before she could fly, and the last time I checked on a nearby flight with Continental (who will ship now with their new climate controlled pet program - that's how Merlin got from LA to Tampa), the flight was about $350.00, prices have gone up a bit since Jeff shipped Merlin in May of this year.

Like I said, no pressure, but it would save about $100.00 to already have the crate and bowls.

Christine
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Oh, I am SO sorry to hear about Pooh Bear !! He was a beauty and I'm sure you're right about the reason he bit. I feel awful about this!! :(
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I thought Pooh Bear was in a Rescue, Must have been an all breed rescue, "a dog is a dog and must act like a dog". Anyone that supports temperament testing has no Business being any where near a Chow. This is what temperament testing does for a Chow. And to think I backed off Pooh Bear becouse I thought she was safe in a Rescue. Can't trust anyone anymore.

Pooh Bear

“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

It would be great if Mia is a match for you and your wife. But, if the wife says no, please consider Chewie here in San Antonio. She's a cutie too.
suzzane72
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by suzzane72 »

duallypilot, please take a moment to look at my Chewie. she's listed in the "need home for chow" section. she's a wonderful girl. filly was kind enough to post our pics. thanks!
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

that makes me sick about pooh bear. what a shame. im with you jeff, any half brained person in the rescue business should know that a chow does not react like any other breed.

dually, im sorry for your loss. i hope a chow that needs you finds his/her forever home with your family.
check out these two. they are in ny, but we could help ya out.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displa ... d=11613402
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
duallypilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by duallypilot »

Jeff:
I found out that Chow Rescue of Missouri who listed Pooh, is actually a lady from St. Louis that goes to the animal shelters on a regular bases to look for Chows that need rescued and then posts them on Pet Finder.
Katies Mom:
We've looked at Mia's picture and read the posting, what sticks out is that she only minds one person. We really can't have that, we'll have to have a dog that minds both me and my wife. I REALLY appreciate your offer of Merlin's crate and assisting in the arrangements. Everyone of you on this site are great people.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

duallypilot wrote:Jeff:
Katies Mom:
We've looked at Mia's picture and read the posting, what sticks out is that she only minds one person. We really can't have that, we'll have to have a dog that minds both me and my wife. I REALLY appreciate your offer of Merlin's crate and assisting in the arrangements. Everyone of you on this site are great people.
I don't know if you read the whole story on Mia but its not that she only minds one person its that no one in the house except the Mom wants her around, the daughter dosn't like her and the husband wants her out so I can see Mia's side of it and why she only minds one person. She is tied up in a room by herself and probably only has contact with one person.

In the right home with the right people i'm sure she would listen to both you and your wife but most Chows tend to favor one person in the house anyway. My Chow can't stand anyone except me but she listens to everyone becouse they treat her with respect.

As I said before, Boy is this Chow getting a Bum rap.

ImageImage
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Yes. Jerrald. Please don't take Mia's online story as her behavior in the future. In a home that would welcome her with open arms, she could be different than her online persona of late. Chows do like one person to "report to" and "check in" with. They are OCD that way. But they are also very adaptable. They just need to feel secure in their environment and not feel like a pariah. With your 2 acres, what a great place to take adventures, soothe the soul and lots of sniffs for a chow makeover! I'm sure Mia is tired of being "on edge" at her present place. All chows like to just take it easy from time to time.
Katies Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Katies Mom »

Jerrald:

Regarding your earlier post, do I understand you to be saying that Pooh Bear wasn't actually "with" a rescue, just posted by a person wanting to rescue him and he was still at a shelter? Or am I confused? Was he put down by the shelter or the rescue? Its relevant because I think a lot of us think that if a chow is with a rescue, it is a less urgent matter and that they are safe for the time being and reasonably well looked after, at least safe from being pts. If Pooh Bear wasn't actually with the rescue, it should have indicated that on the petfinder. Am I just confused?

I hope you find the right chow. We're all here to help out where we can, and we all really like to see a chow in need get a happy home.

Christine
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Katies Mom wrote:Jerrald:

Regarding your earlier post, do I understand you to be saying that Pooh Bear wasn't actually "with" a rescue, just posted by a person wanting to rescue him and he was still at a shelter? Or am I confused? Was he put down by the shelter or the rescue? Its relevant because I think a lot of us think that if a chow is with a rescue, it is a less urgent matter and that they are safe for the time being and reasonably well looked after, at least safe from being pts. If Pooh Bear wasn't actually with the rescue, it should have indicated that on the petfinder. Am I just confused?

I hope you find the right chow. We're all here to help out where we can, and we all really like to see a chow in need get a happy home.

Christine

I break it down like this on a Chows survival rate

Chow Rescue - 90%, Allowing for People that shouln't be rescuing Chows
All breed Rescue - 75%, Allowing for the dog is a dog people that have shelter mentalities (Temperament Test)
Shelter - 10%, thats if there is a Chow person working at the Shelter, which is rare...

Someone posted before that Pooh Bear was in a rescue before Jerrald came into it.

ImageImage
Katies Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Katies Mom »

I don't want to hijack Jerrald's post or anything, but yes, I went back and checked the original post on the forum regarding Pooh Bear (labeled something like "St. Louis" in the Needs a Home Section). To make things worse here, he's still posted on petfinder (nice, but I know petfinder stinks at updating). By Jerrald's post above, I'm just asking for information/clarification. If this person is just going around taking pictures of chows, and isn't actually a rescue, those petfinders should say that. It makes people like you, who may have tried to help this poor chow out, if you thought he was in a shelter, think he is safe when he's not. Labeling him "un adoptable" doesn't sound like rescue talk to me. If you go back to the original thread on Pooh Bear and click on the rescue links for "rescue" that posted him, its a very strange mess of links to other organizations. My point is this - if a chow is NOT actually with a rescue, but there is some lady going around taking pitcures and posting them, the post on petfinder (which I understand is done by volunteers and rescues from some of your earlier posts as well) should indicate that the chow is still in a shelter. In this case, you posted on that original thread that you would have tried to figure something out for him had he not been with rescue. You know how to handle a chow and perhaps he wouldn't be over the bridge right now. Its just a shame if he was still in a shelter and the petfinder post led us to believe he was in rescue. That's all I'm saying. And yes, I believe your statistics may be on target. Among other things, we had to beg a supervisor in Tampa to get those puppies off of the "not adoptable" list at that shelter, and there was a young female volunteer there, clearly interested in saving those chows. We'll call her our "chow person" for that case.
Abbiegirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Abbiegirl »

OMG...I can't believe this beautiful baby was put down...I am completely sick sick sick about this!!!

Did the folks wanting a new chow see the 2 that Janet posted about that were in Ny..but said there could be help w/ transportation? These 2 beautiful babies born in May , need to be adopted as a pair it states...they are so sweet looking.
Last edited by Abbiegirl on Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.