By way of introduction.... (Sophie's story)

Share your experiences of rescuing a Chow Chow from this site.

Moderator: chowadmin

chris

Post by chris »

janet wrote:print the story and hang it in all the shelters. i think it might make someone think twice about not adopting a chow.

THATS an awsome idea janet. :D
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Sandy,

Oh my, I'm in tears..what a wonderful story!
Just look at how you have inspired people.
Thank you for being such a saving grace to your little angel. You are a blessing to each other.
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Sophie’s doing very well, Karin, thanks! I’ve thought many times while reading your posts that she was cut from the same cloth as your Luna... both independent little souls, challenging and full of surprises. You must miss her so much.

This is an old topic that got bumped because I posted the link in Judy’s ”Your Chow’s Journey to their Forever Home” thread, Roxana. I’m pretty sure I’ve mentioned that she’s a rescue in other threads, but I’m not a frequent poster, so it would be easy to miss. I would have loved to have read Karen’s day by day posts of her wild child Shiloh’s journey, but that was in the old forum and before my time, darn it. Certainly do sound similar.

Congrats on new chow additions, Karin, David, Melissa, Bama and Janet, (hopefully Roxana soon), and thanks for the kind words....
Nothing like a successful rescue, huh? I have to do my rescues one at a time, hopefully I’ll be able to rescue in bulk like Dogdad someday. :D

Chris, can you believe some nimrod threw my girl away? Just plain craziness.

edited to fix link
Last edited by ciaobella on Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
chris

Post by chris »

ciaobella wrote:Chris, can you believe some nimrod threw my girl away? Just plain craziness.
No, quite frankly I can't. But you know what? She is WAY better off with you. :D It was ment to be.
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Luna also had a pink, flesh coloured nose as Sophie. I hope you will have her with you for many more years to come.

Reading your story, I'd imagine it's pretty close of owning a wolf. Who hasn't read Jack London's books?

One thing was sad about Luna, she didn't like to be hugged. She didn't care for belly rubs.

Mikki is a bit spoiled. Maybe she isn't, this is home #4. A spoiled chow has had one home and not get passed around.

When I take her to the creek, out comes the free spirit. Most chows have an independent streak. We love 'em.
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

What a beautiful story! I cried all through it. You are truly a wonderful person and Sophie deserves you!
~ Sally
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

:oops: I missed your post, Sharon. Thanks! Your Cheyenne was a shy girl too, wasn't she?

Karin, there's an old post in the back pages about a feral male chow that's been spotted off and on for, I think, about 13 years... it just doesn't seem as difficult for chows to revert to their wolfy nature and be successfully feral.

Sophie wouldn't allow herself to be hugged or her tum scratched inside for the longest time... we had to do that on the patio where she could escape to the woods if she had to. Truth be told, she would still rather, but now it's just because she likes to be outside, not because she needs an avenue of escape.

Thank you, and welcome, Salandra! I'm lucky she chose me.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Sandy, What a beautiful picture of Sophie...she is just so pretty.

And thank you for remembering my Cheyenne....yes, my poor little {Big now} girl was a real throwaway. She is still standoffish with most people but rolls over a lot for Alan and I...she loves her belly and back rubbed.
Amazing isn't it...that people can throw away such lovely animals?

Sharon
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I remember reading this story last year and just sobbing away. I'm glad it got bumped up. :D Sandy, I just love the new picture of Sophie, she is just so, so beautiful.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I have to do my rescues one at a time, hopefully I’ll be able to rescue in bulk like Dogdad someday.
Sany, LOL, I love the phrase "rescue in bulk" and that's my dream too.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Sandy,
Everytime I read Sophie's story I am happy with tears. She is so beautiful. I love the pictures you posted of her in the creek.
Working with Shiloh took alot of patience but you're working with Sophie was truly amazing. Shiloh showed up in our backyard in the month of June and it wasn't until December until she was brave enough to venture inside the house. I had taken a day off. She was on the deck watching me. I left the sliding glass door open. She approached slowly - stuck her head just inside and looked around. I could tell she would bolt if I made any sudden moves. I stayed still - she slowly came in, she sniffed and sniffed for a few minutes, then escaped back out to the deck. I was so excited to tell DH when he got home. So we kept the door open each night and she slowly felt more and more comfortable about being inside. She didn't start to stay inside until after I had her spayed. I had no idea how that was going to work out with her - I slept downstairs the first few nights. The rest is history - except for one time when she must have had an upset tummy - she has never done her business in the house. She was house trained without being house trained!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Sharon, I've often wondered if Sophie might have had a easier transition if she had had a JR to show her the ropes. Such a good bro.

You're such a kind girl, Kaitlin. You will always be a rescuer, I can see that in you! Someday we'll both have sprawling big houses with fenced in yards, and always, always room for just one more.

There was this one time with Sophie that always wrenches my heart, Karen... I always ruffled up Sophie's fur and pet her all over when she was standing at the door to be let out so she would associate being petted with something she liked. One night as we were going to bed, I reached down to pet her... and she didn't panic and run to the door. She had her head down, but slowly rolled her eyes up at me and just ba-aa-aarely "twinkled" her tail. That was so huge. I went into the bedroom, sunk my face into a pillow, and just bawled. I know you must have had many moments like that, too. Our wild furkids are so special, aren't they?
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Gaining the trust and love of a rescue will always melt one's heart :x
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Sandy she is gorgeous.

David
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

I had never read Sophie's story until it was references on another post. What a wonderful story. You two seem to make a wonderful pair and she is absolutely beautiful. It is wonderful to think that she is able to have someone to trust at least once in her life. Every dogs deserves that.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh