As The Fur Flies!!!

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

As The Fur Flies!!!

Post by vicster605 »

I thought Kyra had lost all of her baby coat during Dec. LOL!!!! FAR FROM IT!!!! Got fur flyin', up my nose, floatin' in the air, stuck to my clothes and the carpet.......she is itchin' like crazy and it just keeps on comin'....oh and Kearra is doing her share as well. The birds will have lots of nesting material this year.
I keep thinking of something Auddymay said on another post.....OH the Mane.....Kyra is a whole new story on grooming than Kearra ever was. That mane is sooooo hard to groom, is there any tricks to brushing it out....just when I think I got it.....I find a new roll :shock:

Thanks Sweetpea!
Theo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: As The Fur Flies!!!

Post by Theo »

Oh, how I remember those days with our first chow Teddy!!! :( We could fill a trashcan with his fur!
Titus lost his puppy coat this Winter too, but I really don't get much fur out of him when I brush him...NOT LIKE TED!!!
Maybe it will change...I hope not....That would make him the PERFECT CHOW!!! =D=
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Millie is seasonally shedding, Alf's puppy coat is trying to mat into his skin.... it's resisting my attempts ot get it out..... It's going to be a long long March :evil:
Thank you Elodie!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

LOL!!! I just got finished bathing and grooming Kyra!!!! She looks beautiful and I look like I got into a fight with a wet hairy monster and IT WON :shock: I finally figured out that if you can't get the rake thru the fur and its comin' out by the handful......BATH & GROOM!!!! WAAAHOOOO and now she is good for a day or two \:D/ \:D/ My poor white bathroom now thats another story :shock: Wanted to get Kearra too but her lil' Chow butt has gotten wind that Kyra just got a bath and she is in the yard......doin' the NO FREAKIN' WAY I'M COMIN' IN THERE......WHAT DO YOU THINK I'M STUPID OR SOMTHIN'!!!!! #-o

Thanks Sweetpea!
Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ginger Bears Mom »

That is way too funny, I need those good laughs today. Ziggy at 3 months still is holding his puppy fuz, I will be sorry to see it go though, his muzzle is like velvet and his fur is soo soft. Will miss it when it's gone.
Betty, Ziggy's Mom
Ginger Bears Mom ~ In Loving Memory, 8.5.93 - 11.16.07

"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next."
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Layla wrote:Alf's puppy coat is trying to mat into his skin.... it's resisting my attempts ot get it out....
You might try using a crochet hook to break through the mats, essentially thinning the area by 'plucking' with the hook, (hook size suitable for working fine yarns and finer threads.)

Occasionally using 'color-intensifying' shampoos will help prevent further tangling, because those types of shampoos strengthen and 'polish' the frayed keratin layer of the hair.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

So that means those shampoos are good Kiwani??? I saw one for the first time the other day at Pet Smart.

Thanks Sweetpea!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

kiwani wrote:
Layla wrote:Alf's puppy coat is trying to mat into his skin.... it's resisting my attempts ot get it out....
You might try using a crochet hook to break through the mats, essentially thinning the area by 'plucking' with the hook, (hook size suitable for working fine yarns and finer threads.)

Occasionally using 'color-intensifying' shampoos will help prevent further tangling, because those types of shampoos strengthen and 'polish' the frayed keratin layer of the hair.
Thanks Kiwani. He's not actually matted, it is trying to though! I left him in his Daddy's care for a week & been catching up ever since...... with daily brushing & raking we are back to doing okay again..... :roll: I've got some 'black on black' shampoo for next time I was him though, thanks for reminding me.... I think it may've gotten lost in our house move :D
Thank you Elodie!
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

I'm right there with the rest of you. For the most part only Teddy's undercoat has come in and it's not very long, but it's everywhere. And Cinder's blowing coat too. Brushing/raking causes as much fur to fly as ends up on the brush and rake. Fur is everywhere and when I vacuum, I watch what seems like as much being lifted into the air by the exhaust as removed by the vacuum.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

chow fancier wrote: Brushing/raking causes as much fur to fly as ends up on the brush and rake. Fur is everywhere and when I vacuum, I watch what seems like as much being lifted into the air by the exhaust as removed by the vacuum.
Lightly mist the coat with something like a diluted vinegar/water solution, not only to prevent static fly-aways, but also to make grooming less painful because moisture adds elasticity to the fur.
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

Wild idea:brush outside???
A couple of weeks ago I got enough hair to knit a toy poodle from Chey every day,not it's just a handful or two,but I still take her outside ,and after i'm done I let her run around a bit so the loose hair can blow away.
Bet lots of birdies have a chow wool lined nest this year!
Cinnamon has always and still sheds less,totally different coat.
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Vicster, do you have a force dryer? If you don't have one you need to invest in one and a grooming table, you can blast all that loose fur off the dogs with it after bathes, much easier. You can even blow the hair out between bathes. You are in for a rude awakening by the way, when you spay bitches they get huge coats, that means more fur when they blow! :lol: I use a Master Blaster, I wouldn't really recommend anything with less force, especially on a spayed bitch. http://www.petedge.com usually has good prices on them.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

If it isn't the house, then it's the car...lol. I did an interior cleaning on my car yesterday...OMG! Blonde hair everywhere...which was much easier to lift off the velour seats than Pip's black fur, all concentrated in the one spot she always sits at. I need an industrial size lint brush!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Red Dragon wrote:Vicster, do you have a force dryer? If you don't have one you need to invest in one and a grooming table, you can blast all that loose fur off the dogs with it after bathes, much easier. You can even blow the hair out between bathes. You are in for a rude awakening by the way, when you spay bitches they get huge coats, that means more fur when they blow! :lol: I use a Master Blaster, I wouldn't really recommend anything with less force, especially on a spayed bitch. http://www.petedge.com usually has good prices on them.
Late 2006 I adopted a skinny chow with nice black, shiny fur like a retriever, I thought Mikki was a chow/terrier??? mix. She was spayed June 2007. And wow, the chow seemed to have doubled in size and does look like a pb chow. It's the spaying? I thought it may have been the change of food. We'll be in for it my mid May. Spring comes late here. Been pricing the furminators, they don't ever go on sale--do they?
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I've never seen a furminator on sale Karin. They are cheaper on the net though in my experience..... Once mine stopped being so useful once they stopped having puppy coats. I mainly use it on their legs these days.
Thank you Elodie!
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I gave my furminator away. it just didn't get into their coats like a rake does...the teeth were just too close together. My friend has a GSD-mix that it works just fine on, so I'm glad my money didn't go completely to waste. :?

I bought the Metro Master Blaster and it works like a champ!! Just make sure you use it in a room where you can't blow too many things away or better yet, use it outside. I can't use mine outside because I have no way of confining them so I can use it properly. The first time I used it I tried it in my bedroom...dust, papers, you name it went flying everywhere!! :shock:
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Holy cow, I couldn't imagine. I bet you had one big mess to clean up after that! :lol:
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

i corral them into a spare bedroom...not much in there. Afterwards I get out the Dyson and open the windows...all done!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

My chow gets confined to the balcony, no way out. She still manages to squeeze her butt against the rails. Very hard to brush the behind. It's going to be one big wrestling match. I see it coming.

I keep a pail of water with me and dunk my hands and brush with water occasionally, the neighbours complained last year. They found chow fur stuck to their curtains (hey close your screen door) fur on their bar b q grill (keep the lid closed) Warm weather has been promised by Thursday, the wool will fly.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Yep, low 70's by Thursday...I can't wait to warm up again! I took the girls in for a nail clipping. The groomer took one look at Lily, and there were murmurs about needing a good brushing/seasonal shed...lol. Yeah, I know, just concentrate on the feet!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

kingalls (Shiloh and Mr. N's mom) gave me one of these combs this weekend. It's called a Super Groom Comb by Tangle-Wrangle and it has rotating tooth combs (or something like that). I used it on Miss PB's neck area, where her fur gets tangled by her collar and it worked fantastic! Miss PB said it was pain free and no tugging. I typically use the side corner of a grooming rake to unwind a tangle I can't do with my fingers. But this Super Comb worked great! Here's how it looks via T-W's website: http://www.theuntangler.com/products/co ... tml#t735ss
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Karin when I lived in an apt with Kody I had a neighbor complain about his hair getting on her deck below me (said she was allergic) so I bought a cheap tarp and tacked it down. Never heard another word from her.
What is it with their butts? My two will let me brush and brush w/out complaint or fighting them til it comes to the butt then it's a two person wrestling match! :roll:
Going to try that comb. I always feel like I am just surface brushing Shugs mane...can't get through it!
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)