Surgery = Shedding?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Surgery = Shedding?

Post by KathrynH »

I took Buddha for his monthly groomers visit, and I was talking to her about how much he was shedding, and she said that sometimes when a dog has surgery, one of the after effects can be shedding...is this true w/ Chows? I just figured he was blowing his coat because it's getting warmer.
On a side note, I have a cute little story to tell about Buddha w/ the groomers. He always walks right in the shop as if he owns the place, but today, he not only walked in very confidently, but he jumped up on the little gate thing to tell us goodbye, and leaned against the groomer as she rubbed his head :shock: I was SO shocked! He usually only lets me and my DH go anywhere near his head! He just seems to love her though...it was a "warm, fuzzy" moment that I just had to share :D
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Surgery = Shedding?

Post by kiwani »

Stress of any kind is just one of the factors affecting a shed cycle.
Here in the north east, double-coated dogs have already started blowing their undercoats; birds have increased their singing; squirrels are mating; sap is rising, etc. It's an appropriate time for a big shed too : )
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I never noticed Samantha shedding after her surgeries, but I have heard of female Chows losing a lot of fur after giving birth. I brushed a big pile off of Ping this afternoon and still have more to go. Bear had a much smaller pile, but he wasn't too interested in being groomed and walked away. I think between them I could make another Chow. :shock:
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

kiwani wrote:Stress of any kind is just one of the factors affecting a shed cycle.
Here in the north east, double-coated dogs have already started blowing their undercoats; birds have increased their singing; squirrels are mating; sap is rising, etc. It's an appropriate time for a big shed too : )
I noticed,lol,today I got enough off to knit 3 new cheyennes !!!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Happening down here too.....I had enough fur on the floor that my dh walked in and went OMG :shock: :shock: Kyra is loosing the rest of her baby coat and the fur is flyin' :shock:

Thanks Sweetpea!
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

Yeah, I've been vacuuming everday (usually do it once a week) :shock: Thank GOD Buddha seems to be about done shedding!
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!