Shedding issue. . .

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Shedding issue. . .

Post by willowchow »

I'm seeing Willow start to blow her coat already. It's only March, is this the norm?? I don't remember it being so obvious previous years.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Lily is holding fast to that cushy baby fur. She spends alot of time inside, so I thought she'd have begun by now. I'm in no hurry tho...
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

At this point Koda is still holding on to his baby fur too... but I was looking at him while we were outside today and I would swear that his haunches are looking like they could start to blow fur any time now. It kind of looks like a mix of puppy fur with the undercoat maturing. Kind of hard to explain, but sure looking different than it used to.
Nancy and Tai

kumathechow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kumathechow »

kuma hasn't blown her puppy coat yet. she got a little trim at the groomers the other day. funny thing is, i asked to get her mane trimmed a little, and when i picked her up her mane was gone. she's still adorable though!
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

Gracie is bare. Poor thing, she looks so shaggy.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes, M & M have started shedding their coats - actually they are in a bit of a mess at the moment and need a good combing - on the agenda for today! :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Thanks everyone, at least I know she doesn't have a skin issue going on. Here comes spring!!! 8)
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Cayenne is shedding too. What a mess.
Mandy, Chewie, & Cayenne
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

At Mr. N's last grooming appointment 4 weeks ago, the groomer said that he's shedding alot - just like a few other dogs she's done. It will be an early Spring she says...
Karen
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Darkwind blows his coat in March, he actually starts in late Feb and in Minnesota it's still really cold. But he does it every year at this time. Because it's so cold I'm not supper aggressive about combing it out, just a bit at a time to keep him from matting, but he needs the undercoat right now. By early summer he's back in full coat and beautiful, but hot! Firesong blows her coat right before summer. So for several months I have lots of hair to deal with :lol:
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

So, it's usually around March and then when?

I've never really noticed it until this year. I mean, I knew it happened but it seems so obvious this time.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "I'm seeing Willow start to blow her coat already. It's only March, is this the norm??"

---

Whenever you see sap rising and dripping from trees, the sun's rays are warm enough to also trigger hormones to start a shed cycle.

Nutrition, hormones, stress, play a role in shed cycles too.
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Thank you Kiwani! I just spent 45 minutes brushing, it looks like a could make another dog now, LOL.

I also wanted to share this new grooming spray I heard about from a groomer on my other board. It's called Nova Pearls, really good stuff. I got it at Petsmart.

:)
Lucydog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lucydog »

Oooh, scary. We went out of town for a couple of days and he must have started shedding while we were gone. I didn't notice much hair on the floor, but when I brushed him, I got a lot more hair off him.

Here come More Dumb Grooming Questions from the Pit Bull Lady....
Because owning just one banned breed isn't enough!
-- Rest In Peace Jasper the Chow Chow & Lucy the Pit Bull.
Dallas Pet Laws Examiner: http://www.examiner.com/x-2924-Dallas-Pet-Laws-Examiner