I take it back

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

I take it back

Post by KathrynH »

I came home today and started petting Buddha, and he did his thing where he lowers his back and then eventually just lays down and lets me give him a good petting. Well, I cam to his back leg, on the inside and started pulling out HUGE TUFTS of hair! On this one leg I pulled out a HUGE pile, I'm just so amazed! We took him to the groomer last week, and last time he was blowing his coat, she was able to blow a majority of it out w/ the blow dryer she uses, this time, it did NOTHING! :shock: I've got hair everywhere! SO...now I have to figure out how to get Buddha to let me brush him LOL He's so restless...wish me luck...treats do nothing for his OY! :roll:
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: I take it back

Post by Coco Chow »

Oh Buddha is blowing is coat!
KathrynH wrote:now I have to figure out how to get Buddha to let me brush him LOL He's so restless...wish me luck...treats do nothing for his OY! :roll:
I don't use treats during the session neither, but I always make the grooming session like something enjoyable. I always start by petting her coat with my hand, telling her I'm going to brush her so she can have a beautiful coat, I give kisses... You must think I'm nuts! Well anyway it works for us!
I don't do it on a table, it's too much trouble, I'd be affraid she'd fall...
We do that on the cow hide rug she loves.
If during the grooming session she wants to move away, I tell her "no no, you need to lay on your side" and I pet her coat again and then she's more calm and she lets me do what needs to be done.
Once she's all fluffy, I tell her that we're done and yes she gets a piece of cheese afterward.

What I wanted to say is try petting Buddha while you groom!
And good luck! :D
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

I do pet him, but for some reason he see's the brush, and he thinks it's play time. As soon as I start to brush him he jumps up and tries to play. I tried to make him stay with me...well...as you can guess that didn't work, all it earned me was a puzzled look from Buddha and DH getting onto me for torturing him :roll: LOL
I have never seen a dog shed this way! I litereally pull out huge tufts of hair! Is he just blowing his winter coat, or is this what it's like when he starts really getting his adult coat in? (He's a year old this month)
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Perhaps you should try the two person approach, one to keep his attention and one to brush until he gets use to it. We have to do a 2 person approach for nail trimming.
SweetPea Rocks!!
waternight
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by waternight »

I usually brush my baby after a long walk or after any thing that will exhaust his energy. Then I would get him to lie down and take out the brushing. I would first rub him and at the same time try to get to go on his side where I can access his belly. If it is a long brushing, I would get him a rub in between brushing and give him a treat for being a good boy. Once I have finish, I would give him a treat too.

Hope this helps.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

My chowmix Bear, used to shed great big clumps of fur. Finally, when he was older, the vet suggested giving him 3-V caps (a skin supplement) and that helped a lot! Maybe you already give him something for his coat. I thought I'd mention it because the shedding is normal, but it didn't come out in such huge clumps after I started the supplements. I wish I had figured this out when he was younger.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

I have been wanting to try the salmon oil in his food, I just haven't been able to make it to the pet store yet :? I'm kind of concerned about the way the hair is coming out. I'll pet him, and you can just pull out huge clumps (that are already lose, I'm not just randomly pulling hair).
I've tried the two on one approach before and that seemed to work, so I'll have to have my DH help me again.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

KathrynH wrote:I'm kind of concerned about the way the hair is coming out. I'll pet him, and you can just pull out huge clumps (that are already lose, I'm not just randomly pulling hair).
That's normal. We are at the midpoint of winter, when sap starts rising because certain rays of the sun are becoming stronger, also triggering a shed cycle. There are several threads on the winter shed cycle in the archives, which also explain the 'pattern' of shedding, starting at the hind end, and finally ending at the mane.
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

Kiwani,
Thanks! I was beginning to think Buddha was part Chinchilla. :shock: We used to have one and she'd drop hair in tufts like crazy all the time, it drove us nuts LOL Anyway, y-day Jake and i teamed up on him, and he HATED it! HE wouldn't come anywhere near us, and then he'd run to each door (except the one we were by) whining and looking at us, and whining...he was quite upset...I managed to get some out. He sees the groomer this weekend, so hopefully that'll help some.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

KathrynH wrote: I was beginning to think Buddha was part Chinchilla. :shock: We used to have one and she'd drop hair in tufts like crazy all the time, it drove us nuts LOL
Then just imagine that there are about 50 chinchillas hiding in Buddha's coat! :)
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

That's EXACTLY what it's like LOL
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Our previous chow Rowlee used to shed in clumps too!! We would literally pluck him like a chicken :lol:

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
sengeoz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sengeoz »

Kathryn,

As Kiwani says, it's normal winter shedding, added to which your boy will also be getting rid of the last of his puppy coat. The next coat you will see in about six weeks is his adolescent coat. Anoth big dump in 12 months, then usually every two years after that, although he will continue to shed seasonally. My four year old is currently "*Censored Word*" - he's just gone through the 2 year dump...
Judith-Ann
Sengé Chows, VIC (Australia)
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Cinder is shedding in clumps now too. I use a rake instead of a brush for this and it doesn't take long at all.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Oddly enough, Lily started as well. she walks by, and there is a loose tuft of hair on her back. If you pull it off, it is like a tissue box, another one just pops up!