Fur between eyes

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Fur between eyes

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

This is a rather dumb question. I never encountered this problem before. I check my chow's eyes every day to make sure they're clean, no dust or cat's hairs stuck to the eye lashes. I noticed lose fur between the eyes. I sort of picked out the hairs using my fingers. A soft brush but didn't work. Is there a tool, brush to get at the lose fur between the eyes? Anyone has run into that problem? It's not a huge problem but I did pull out quite a few tufts of fur and there is more.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Fur between eyes

Post by TJordan »

Good question, Butters will do this while shedding. I pull little tufts out of his nose, in between his eyes as well. I was wondering what might work well for that.
SweetPea Rocks!!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

I answered my own question last night. I was brushing my chow's teeth using a new softer tooth brush. The bristles of the tooth brush I initially used were too stiff.
I tried the old toothbrush and it did a good job grasping the hairs between her eyes. Mikki's eyes are very close and my chow is wiggly, doesn't like to hold still. Tricky but it worked. My chow is starting to shed already, spring must be close. both the american and canadian ground hogs have shown up. I didn't know animals knew borders :D :D
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

I have a slicker brush we use on the cats, it works really well on the little eye tuffs of fur. Tess not only gets them between her eyes, but the short fur on the fronts of her legs, and the tips of her ears. She gets very annoyed when we brush them off.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Wes Chow Chows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Wes Chow Chows »

A flea comb will work very well for the face
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Holden gets these between his eyes, on the tips of his ears, on his front feet, and on his cheeks close to his mouth. I have a comb that I use for them and usually he will let me pull them out with my fingers before the comb is needed.
ImageImageImage
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

sit_by_the_beach wrote:Is there a tool, brush to get at the lose fur between the eyes?
Wrapping wide adhesive tape around your fingers, works well too..
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

kiwani wrote:
sit_by_the_beach wrote:Is there a tool, brush to get at the lose fur between the eyes?
Wrapping wide adhesive tape around your fingers, works well too..
The tape sounds like a great idea. I don't like using a tool because of the eyes. My previous chow didn't have fuzzy, down like hairs in that area.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Chow Chow Mama wrote:Holden gets these between his eyes, on the tips of his ears, on his front feet, and on his cheeks close to his mouth. I have a comb that I use for them and usually he will let me pull them out with my fingers before the comb is needed.
Rowlee used to get these and I'd just pull them out with my fingers too!! They are the sweetest, tiniest little tufts, little baby ones! :D

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Some really good ideas! Haley likes to hand pull these, but she thinks peeling sunburnt skin is fun, too...
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Dear Karin,
Lily here...Just wanted to say thank you for the helpful hint about the toothbrush 'tween the eyes tip. Yeah Thank you...THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! Haley never likes to brush me. Now, thanks to you, she is always grabbing that %$*@ little brush, and putting me in a head lock. Sigh...did I say thank you (NOT!)?
DSC05791.JPG
DSC05791.JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 6687 times
Brandy's mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brandy's mom »

Ooooh! She looks adorable Auddymay! What a sweetiepie!
Cecelia

"To love what you do and feel that it matters - how could anything be more fun?" Katherine Graham
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

I like the headlock photo. Just like at the vet's. Except it takes three to hold down Mikki. The fur is starting to fly in this house. Headlocks, tooth brush, tape, got it all ready and set to go. It's been a long winter, lots of tufts of fur and clumps of fur will come off.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

chowwoman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowwoman »

My latest chowbabe has these two little "hair horns" on his forehead about 2 inches above where real eyebrows would be and they stick out like 2-3 inches. I've never seen hair horns on any other dog in my life *L* They're almost like antennas!
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

They make small triangle shaped slicker brushes and they work well for getting between the eyes.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Tai's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tai's Mom »

Hummmm. I'm at work right now, so I can't look at Tai, but I don't remember any hair between any of my chows eyes. Tai will love that. Something else for me to groom on him. He already gives the "Oh God help me" look when he sees the rake and the brush. The fur is also flying at our house. Last Sunday was perfect weather for grooming OUTSIDE, so Tai and I sat on my patio and I brushed for about 2 hours. It looked like it had snowed tan chow fur all over the place. And I could have brushed another 2 hours and still not got it all. He never has lost "clumps" of fur. Is that normal? I just brush and brush and get lose undercoat when I groom. My others shed their coats in clumps. Anyway, I digress. I will have to look at Tai's eyes when I get home. :shock:
Cy & Tai
All this and you wanted a Shih Tzu too?
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

My first chow Luna's fur would come out in clumps. I was able to pull them out and then use the brush. Mikki chow's fur doesn't come out in chunks. I brush and brush and brush, it's never ending. I complain every year.

I got a price at a different Petsmart, i was quoted $250 for a trim, brushing, bathing, nails (not necessary), shampoo with conditioner and blow dry. Trim and brush only, $100. $50 for the 20 pound mutt. I found a barber shop that cuts women's hair $10 w. shampoo, cut without the frills, $5. When I get my hair cut next week I'll ask the barber how much he'd charge for my chow's grooming, $20 perhaps?
KARIN &
chowMIKKI