New Groomer!

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

New Groomer!

Post by Guest »

Well, we normally take Chi-Ching to a do-it-yourself groomer. It is one where you feed it quarters and then it works.
Well, I didn't want to go there last night(it was rainy and cold) but Chingers needed cleaned(BADLY) and so we called a DIY place and they said they provided everything, you just bring the dog in. So we went.....It was AWESOME!!! They had a ramp that was carpeted and led up to the bathing area, I hooked him so he couldn't go anywhere and then I went to get hubby and the kids settled and to give Ching a second to relax. They had a waiting area with toys for the kids, I turned around and the head person there was PETTING Chi-Ching!!! Like full on body petting!! I was so proud of him. I got him all washed(they had nice warm water) and they provided the shampoo and conditioner, and she even put the shampoo on and Chingers was okay with it!! After he was washed and conditioned we dried him off(they also provided towels) and then we hooked him up to the counter area where the dryer was and I spent 45-1 hour blow drying him. Then we cleaned his ears and he got some cologne!
Then it turned out that someone there also plays guitar and drums......so next time, hubby will be off playing while I am grooming!! LOL
Here is the best part.......I paid almost $30 dollars last time at the other place........I paid $11 dollars here!!!!!! We will DEFINITELY be going back!!

I love it when I can see hard work paying off, Chingers letting that lady pet him was a HUGE thing. That really made me proud.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

That is a tribute to Chingers growing maturity. It was a good combination of Chingy's confidence and a person knowledgable in how to approach a dog.
I feel bad for Lily when people want to pet her. We were in Petsmart yesterday, and Lily rode in the cart while Pip was on foot. Everyone who approached tried to reach over her head to pet her! A big nono with Lily, and is often the kiss of death for trusting that person. I knew it was time to leave when Lily spotted her former obedience trianer there with her Great Dane. She started growling, and so did Scoobey. Only, Scoobey outweighs his mistress by a good 50 pounds and was pulling on her!

Post by Guest »

Why does everyone do that??? Chi-Ching is the same way, you CAN NOT reach over his head to pet him unless he knows you, yet EVERYONE tries. This lady was great and didn't take and slack from Chingers. He behaved and she showed no fear to him and so he didn't feel tense at all. We have been working really hard lately on his socialization.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

I think as a general rule, people don't know that chows have peferrial (sp) vision and the norm is just to pat a dog on the head when you pet them. I have to tell people alot PET UNDER HIS CHIN SO HE SEES YOU!
Nancy and Tai