Shampoo and Conditioner

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

waternight
Rank 0
Rank 0

Shampoo and Conditioner

Post by waternight »

Can anyone please recommend a good shampoo and conditioner? I am looking for something that will not dry out their skin. My poor baby is scratching a lot and I don’t know if it is the food or the shampoo and conditioner. I changed her food and that did not help. Now I need to change the shampoo and conditioner.
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Shampoo and Conditioner

Post by Coco Chow »

How long have you been giving the new food? And what is it, if you don't mind me asking?
For the shampoo, I use Hery puppy shampoo but I'm too lazy to use a conditioner, the bath is hard enough already. :roll:
My chow was scratching a lot too but it was mainly because of external parasite. Have you checked that as well?

Good luck with your chow! :D
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I'd try an oatmeal based one for puppies. make sure it is a doggy shampoo as their skin PH is different to ours. I don't know where you are to recommend a specific brand....
Thank you Elodie!
waternight
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by waternight »

I used to feed him Pedigree than I changed it to Naturo. I noticed a little less scratching than usual after I changed his food.

For the shampoo, I am currently using Gold Medal Pets Dog Shampoo – Long Hair. I am looking to change it and look for something that will help improve his skin and coat.

Thanks everyone for you help.

My camera is broken, but once I get a new one I will post a picture of my baby.
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

Nanook's breeder recommended and we do use Pantene (sp?)2 n 1 shampoo and conditioner in one. It works great. (knock on wood) we have never had problems with either chowkid. They also get fed Eukanuba maintenance. I didn't notice where you are located........is it "winter?" We have a fireplace as our main source of heat so we have a humidifier upstairs and downstairs and i know that helps tremendously. My parents were having the same issue with their rottie kidz and when they got a humidifier they stopped scratching.
The chowkidz
Nanook & Keyko...and in loving memory of our little princess, Jade
ImageImageImage
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I use Bio-groom for double coated dogs I get it online. Then I use a conditioner for dogs that is sort of like the silk therapy for humans. If you want the exact names I will have to look when I am at home.
SweetPea Rocks!!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

TJordan wrote:I use Bio-groom for double coated dogs I get it online. Then I use a conditioner for dogs that is sort of like the silk therapy for humans. If you want the exact names I will have to look when I am at home.
The Bio-Groom shampoo for double-coat breeds is called, 'Extra Body Texturizing Shampoo' and Bio-Groom's protein silk conditioner is called, 'Silk'.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Why thank you kiwani, I couldn't remember the names!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Thonnesho
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thonnesho »

I use Groomer's Edge - Alpha White.

It gets my Pyrs REALLY white and only in one wash. My Pyrs are just as white or the whitest at the shows I attend. I could not be more pleased with it - not to mention the high concentration and the great price! https://petapproves.com/best-shampoo-for-pomeranians/