Bad Breath

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Hugos~
Rank 1
Rank 1

Bad Breath

Post by Hugos~ »

Hugo's been having bad breath,any good treats that aren't very dangerous(choke) that can clear his bad breath?
Chow Chow named Hugo!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

A little chlorophyl in his water bowl will do that. It comes in a green liquid at a health food store or vitamin store.
Mia
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Raw meaty bones like lamb shanks, brisket bones, lamb necks, chicken carcasses, given regularly should help.

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
Wollfie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wollfie »

My husband gives Zoe a couple of Greenies every morning. I am not sure what is in them, however they are shaped like little green dog bones and are for breath and teeth. Fortunately she likes them. Wolfie, who could really benefit from them, doesn't like them!
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

i like to use Meaty bone brand dog buscits and nutro natural choice Dental dry kibble , the nutro has cranberries in it , it might help , it might not....
puddinglove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by puddinglove »

Chlorophyll is an internal deodorizer and is probably the cheapest and safest thing. It might be hard to find in Asia, though.

I also like to let Pudding chew on unbleached cotton rope toys. She loves playing tug of war and fetch with them, and they clean her teeth really well too. When they get yucky, I wash them or throw them away. You could probably make the toys yourself by shredding old clothing and twisting and tying the pieces together.
Chowder Collie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chowder Collie »

I have Greenies Smart Bicuits, and that is great for Ringo, who didn't really have too offensive of breath, just "doggie" breath, but Sandy, nothing can help her. The dogs really like this biscuit, it smells like chicken, it's the one they really respond well to.

I tried getting the them used to us brushing their teeth when they were puppies, but nothing could get them to open their mouths for the tooth brush, and Sandy would bite and growl, Ringo would hide.

I like the idea of the cotton rope. I think I'll try that one. Sandy's breath is terrible.
sengeoz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Greenies

Post by sengeoz »

For those of you feeding Greenies to your Chows, please consider finding something different.

There have been large numbers of reports of Greenies causing esophageal and bowel obstructions in their dogs and there have been a number of class action suits brought against the manufacturers, who have been forced to change the formulation.

Don't know the latest, but I personally would avoid anything that wasn't a raw meaty bone...
Judith-Ann
Sengé Chows, VIC (Australia)