Terrible looking coat

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Dawn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Terrible looking coat

Post by Dawn »

Hello! I'm new to this forum and to Chows. I have other dogs. My stepdaughter just dropped off her 2 year old Chow mix today because she cannot keep him due to a relationship breakup. He's been moved from house to house and held hostage by her ex-boyfriend. I'm sure this dog is very stressed out constantly being left with multiple different people and houses. She finally got him and now I expect he'll be with us for a month or so. He's very sweet but his coat is terrible. He was shaved in July and there are parts that haven't grown back; primarily on his back and tummy. Then his rear has little mats that I've been raking out. There's a little sliver that is shiny but the rest of his black coat is very dull. She said he's supposed to be eating lamb & rice mix but she doesn't know what he's been eating for the last two months. Help. Is there anything I should be doing special for chows?

Dawn
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

hi dawn,
welcome to the forum.try to get a good quaulity food first.there are many to choose from but I like Wellness and everyone has a brand that works best for their chows.Solid Gold,and many others.
I think you should post this in the health section so more people will see it.
good luck,
jacqui
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Dawn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dawn »

Thank you Jacqui!

I visited my vet today. She thinks it's nutrition too. We feed our dogs Proplan which was recommended by our German Shorthair's breeder/trainer. I think we're going to try that first and see how he does. The vet also recommended Omega 3 pills once a day.

Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate it.

Dawn
Dawn
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I feed mine Nutro lamb and rice. I bet after things settle down his coat will start to grow and shine. You're an angel for taking him in after all he's been through. Chows are great and you'll think so too soon.