Almost bald...

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Anneg
Rank 0
Rank 0

Almost bald...

Post by Anneg »

I am new to this site but have a concern about my 3 1/2 yr old chow, Kodi. I've had Kodi since she was abandoned as a puppy. I didn't know anything about chows but tried to learn quickly.

Anyway, I bruch her at least every other day...at least try to get most of her. This year she has lost so much of her fur that she appears almost bald, yet she continues to shed. Mainly she is losing it around her sides and chest. This is much worse than previous years.

I just wanted to make sure that this was normal and not something that I should be concerned about.

Also, any suggestions on how to train her to let me cut her nails and trim her paws. She absolutely hates it! Taking her somewhere to have them trimmed is not an option as we had a very bad experience with a vet who was not comfortable with a chow.

Thank you
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

Kiwani and some of the others will probably have an answer to your shedding question. I am curious what are you feeding her as proper nutrition appears to play a big part in their coat?
On the nail trimming have you tried waiting until she is asleep to trim her nails and doing maybe only one or two in a sitting before she wakes up. It might take a few days but they might get done that way.

Thank you so much sweetpea you are wonderful!!!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Cutting a Chows nails while it is sleeping? I don't think so. I don't know of to many Chows on here that would appreciate you attacking it with nail clippers while its aslleep.

But then again it would make for a good topic, My Chow bite me, OMG should i get rid of it.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Nails - can you take her for walks on the sidewalk? My two keep their nails in check from their daily walks/runs on cement...
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

I didn't say attack it while it was sleeping! You can do it in a gentle way to not disturb them while they sleep- that's why I said only do one or two at a time.

Anneg
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thank you

Post by Anneg »

Not sure if I am replying correctly but Kodi eats Pedigree. I usually add a little moist to the dry - both Pedigree.

I have been able to cut 1 or 2 nails before she catches on and do take her for walks on concrete to help out.

Thanks for the suggestions.
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

If she is afraid of the clippers let her see them when you are not going to do any actual clipping. Get her used to them being around.
If it is her feet that is the issue I would touch them often to get her used to having someone feel them.
That's what I had to do with my daughter. All my dogs I do while they are sleeping and calm. I get a few done at a time but it is less stress for both and it has never bothered them. I try to handle them as gently as possible so they don't even notice what I am doing. I also would hold their paws when they were sleeping when I wasn't going to clip so that it didn't alarm them as much when I did.

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

coleywoley wrote:I didn't say attack it while it was sleeping! You can do it in a gentle way to not disturb them while they sleep- that's why I said only do one or two at a time.

Attack = approaching while asleep not as in charging at them like a crazy person but as in approaching while snoring and gently lifting the paw in your hand with clippers. I know Pekoe would be taking off out the door and I'm sure Mr N, Butters and 20 more Chows that I know of on here would be following her out the door if they woke up with clippers staring them in the face. The bite would depend on how long she owned the Chow and the trust the Chow has in her. Most post about biting have come from bothering a Chow while aslleep or eating but even most kids know that about any breed, a Chow more so. I know the books say differant but again I'm talking Chow.

Walking on the concrete is the best idea my Chow has never had her nails cut because of walking on concrete all the time, it dosn't take much, once aday around the block or walking them around town shopping.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Okay, so I walk with Millie on pavements / concrete 2-3 times a day & still have to cut her nails each week... In fact they grow faster than Alf's do :shock: Why! She hates me cutting them as well :roll: Any clues?
Thank you Elodie!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Kodi eats Pedigree. I usually add a little moist to the dry - both Pedigree."

It takes a great amount of hormone power to just grow a Chow's long haired double coat. Chows have *above average* nutritional needs, and a brand like Pedigree contains *below average* ingredients. Here is the ingredient list for their large breed formula. It's mostly corn plus the dregs of human food production *waste products*. It also contains toxic preservatives and poor quality vitamins. The food is basically garbage sold to be recycled through dogs.

Excerpt:

Ingredients:
GROUND YELLOW CORN, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, MEAT AND BONE MEAL (NATURAL SOURCE OF CALCIUM), RICE, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH BHA/BHT), NATURAL POULTRY FLAVOR, DRIED BEET PULP, WHEAT FLOUR, SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, WHEAT MILL RUN, CARAMEL COLOR, VEGETABLE OIL (SOURCE OF LINOLEIC ACID), VITAMINS (CHOLINE CHLORIDE, dl-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], L-ASCORBYL-2-POLYPHOSPHATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN C*], VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], BIOTIN, d-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT), TRACE MINERALS (ZINC SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE), IRON OXIDE.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

There are many foods out there, and it can be confusing what to choose. Even if she did okay on her brand before, she may be developing an allergy to the corn, or wheat in the food. Is she itchy as well?

If you check out the food and nutrition section, you will see much debate about dog food. Still a bit confusing, but it will give you a list of brands that are better than what you are feeding. It will cost you about 6-10 dollars more a 20 pound bag, depending on the brand, but your chow will be able to absorb more of the essentials from the food. In the long run, it will be well worth it.

in addition, it is prudent to make sure the treats you give are free of corn and wheat, if you suspect an allergy.
Anneg
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thank you

Post by Anneg »

Thank you for the information. She has been a little more "itchy" lately, at first I thought it might just be the change in weather.

I read through the other posts and will go out tomorrow to look for some new food. I was able to find some locations which are close that sell the brands that were discussed.

Again, thanks for all the info/help, I really appreciate it.