Puppy hair? Adult Hair?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Puppy hair? Adult Hair?

Post by KathrynH »

When does their whole coat become adult hair? Buddha has real thick course hair down his back, and you can literally see a line where the puffy soft hair is...is that normal or does the soft puffy hair go away?
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

Ginger is like that too. She has the furry soft fluffy hair at her neck and belly but there is a line where it stops on her back and turns to a coarser texture. She is only about three months old though so I don't think it's her adult coat.

Thank you so much sweetpea you are wonderful!!!
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

But their coats change right? I thought someone mentioned it briefly somewhere...but they didn't go into detail.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

They do get adult coats... Timing varies (I believe) depending on climate, diet.... errrr maybe some other things but I'm sleepy today :oops:

Millie is one & has had sections of her adult coat for months now. Her adult hairs are longer and less like cotton wool balls. It's not course though... I think she is a little darker cream in those areas as well.

Brushing out her puppy coat was NOT fun.... and not finished yet :lol:

I love her adult coat though, ths puppy one was cute, but the adult one really shines & reflects the sunlight.... beautiful IMO :D
Thank you Elodie!
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

Buddha's isn't really that course, I realized it after I pet him a second ago, it's just not as soft. It's a bright red too, I'm hoping it stays that way...such a pretty color.
jaxsun_12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jaxsun_12 »

ohk i think jacks puppy coat is finally coming out but i'm not sure. two days ago i brushed him and nothing came out, tonight i brush him and i cant stop pulling it all out!! i'm pulling and pulling and it just seems to keep coming and jacks itchy to high hell. When i was brushing him he turned and tryed to push my hand away because i think it was eather hurting him or just felt weird. THERES SO MUCH HAIR :shock: :shock: :shock:
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

Same here with Cinnamon last night!I brush them twice a week,usually only a bit comes out,yesterday I got enough to knit another chow!!Cheyenne lost a lot of fluff a couple of months ago,seems Cinnamon is 3 months behind with everything.New coat is much silkier and easier to brush.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I'm getting LOADS everytime I brush Alfie.... He can't be getting his adult coat yet surely?????

Millie is shedding a little again but she is (finally) getting the last of her adult coat in.
Thank you Elodie!
jaxsun_12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jaxsun_12 »

when jacks hairs coming out, it seems to be hurting him. He whines and turns his head and head butts my hands as if to say, stop mommy, it hurts! then he runs away and wont let me touch him. Could it just feel weird or does it actually hurt him?
Aimee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aimee »

jaxsun_12 wrote:when jacks hairs coming out, it seems to be hurting him. He whines and turns his head and head butts my hands as if to say, stop mommy, it hurts! then he runs away and wont let me touch him. Could it just feel weird or does it actually hurt him?
have you checked his skin to see if everythings ok?
new chow mum to a beautiful furgirl.. hooked 4eva
jaxsun_12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jaxsun_12 »

Ya that was the first thing i checked. His skin is fine, perfectly normal, all pink and clean. I think he's just being a baby about it.
sublimegirlie1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sublimegirlie1 »

I'm a dog groomer and Chows are notorious amongst us for being nippy for brushing and paw handling... be consistent, if he fights you keep at it until he's calm and then stop. Make sure to end when both you and him are having a pleasant experience. This works best when you brush him at times when he is relaxing and submissive.
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

I pretty much gave up trying to get Buddha to let me groom him, so we go to the groomers often. How long does it take for the adult hair to grow in anyway? Buddha hasn't shedded his summer coat at all (unless the groomer already got it all out), so I was just curious...seems to be kind of a slow process.
h0n33y
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Puppy hair? Adult Hair?

Post by h0n33y »

baby is 9 months old now....has her 1st season, yet her puppy coat still exist in quite a lot of sum....not that I hate it, I like it...I can squeeze her coat w/ unbelievable softness...brush her 1x a day(at least)...ordinary brush though....

well some part of me wanna see her shiny adult coat too though....her back-line started 2 grow em...still I like to squeeze her.....

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

Buddha will be a year old this month, and he only has adult hair down his back and now where else....he's blowing his coat though, so we'll see. :shock:
ade
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ade »

Hi Everyone, i am a proud owner of a 5 month rough coated Chow chow, and she has blown her thick lovely puppy coat, can anyone please advise on how long it takes for the Adult coat to grow back and how thick will it become ? at the moment she has kept her mane but she has very short hair on her body, so any advise would trully be appreciated

Ade
eveelima
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by eveelima »

jaxsun_12 wrote:Ya that was the first thing i checked. His skin is fine, perfectly normal, all pink and clean. I think he's just being a baby about it.
About that, I have a 3 months old chow chow, and during the first weeks since I brought her home, she used to pee all over herself, and that got her a lot of knots on her fur and I had to remove them everyday with a comb. In the begginig, she cried as if I were killing her and I thought I was hurting her, but today I see that she was just being a baby about that, because I can calmly use a comb on her knots and she doesn't complain anymore.
well, I don't know if this example will help, but good luck with your dog (:
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Brutus is 15 months old and still has some puppy fur but also has a lot of adult fur. My guess is 18 months before it's all gone. He stays mostly in the house because the heat this year but can go out and play anytime when we are home in a big fenced yard. He has been a slow grower but was 55 lbs last week. We have had 2 other chows but for the life of me can't remember when they lost their puppy fur. That is probably why nobody else remembers and only someone like me with a 1 year old knows.

Brutus