Problem with Grooming

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Hugos~
Rank 1
Rank 1

Problem with Grooming

Post by Hugos~ »

I took Hugo for grooming a few days ago.The groomer was a nice lady,really patient with Hugo.But he just kept trying to get out of everything.He was trying to bite and was screaming most of the grooming time.HOw can I get Hugo to get used to the groomers?And when they finished grooming him,he refused a jerky treat.That is very very weird!
Chow Chow named Hugo!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

:lol: keep taking him to the groomers - he will get use to being handled...I have been taking my Mr. N to the groomers for 2 years now and he doesn't like it...he tolerates it. When we are done and on the way home, he won't take a treat either...just his way to let me know he is not pleased...be sure to brush in between grooming visits. Hugo is a cutie!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Wes Chow Chows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Wes Chow Chows »

How old is Hugo? How many times has he been groomed?
I start all of my pups with grooming as soon as the eyes are open. They are handled daily from the first day. This imprints in them that they HAVE TO allow this. If the breeder did not do this you can expect it to take several months of daily working with him to break this bad habit. Take him and lay him on his side and pet him as if you had a brush then reward him by allowing him up and give a good ear rub, then repeat on the other side. after this gets to the point that he will lay there then start with a brush and play with the feet act like you are cutting the hair form between the pads and the nails after a while he will get used to all of this but you will have a rough couple of weeks and months getting him do do all this . Good Luck with a lot of work you can make this a nice puppy.

Wes
Hugos~
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugos~ »

Wes Chow Chows wrote:How old is Hugo? How many times has he been groomed?
I start all of my pups with grooming as soon as the eyes are open. They are handled daily from the first day. This imprints in them that they HAVE TO allow this. If the breeder did not do this you can expect it to take several months of daily working with him to break this bad habit. Take him and lay him on his side and pet him as if you had a brush then reward him by allowing him up and give a good ear rub, then repeat on the other side. after this gets to the point that he will lay there then start with a brush and play with the feet act like you are cutting the hair form between the pads and the nails after a while he will get used to all of this but you will have a rough couple of weeks and months getting him do do all this . Good Luck with a lot of work you can make this a nice puppy.

Wes
Hugo is going 3 months soon.And its his first time being groomed with me arnd.The groomer took 1hr to do Basic Grooming for him!But thankfully,they were very patient!
Chow Chow named Hugo!
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

We waited until about 2 months ago to take Buddha to the groomer (He's about 8 months old now), and the first time they called me within 10 minutes to come back and help them. He was great when we left, but then he got freaked out. I had to be in there with him and hold him still. It took 2 hours to do a basic grooming.
The second time I took him to a different groomer, and I asked if she needed me to stay, and she said no, and called me about 1 1/2 hours later and he was calm, and fully groomed, and waiting patiently for me! I was very impressed with this lady. I think that a lot of it has to do with the groomer too, from what we experienced anyway.
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

I am a groomer. The more you take him, the more he'll get used to it. And it is not uncommon for dogs to not want a treat at the groomer/vet's office. There is a lot going on and they are generally to excited and nervous to worry about treats. Also, try bringing him to the groomer just to visit for a minute, not only to get groomed. This way he knows its not all bad.

PM me if you have anymore questions!
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!