Grooming a shaved Chow?

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Grooming a shaved Chow?

Post by Babs64 »

When I bring Constance home next week what type of grooming will she need? The shelter shaved her due to the extreme matting of her coat. I have been informed that her coat was a beautiful thick red coat. Right now it is a short fuzz. I want to make sure I keep her coat healthy. Any advice would be appreciated.
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

From the picture you posted before, she seems to have a lot of fur on her head still. Keep the fur behind her ears from getting matted and just watch for matts as the fur grows. You won't have to do much with her coat, but don't bathe her unless you really need to. Without her coat to protect her skin, she is going to need the oils to keep from getting skin irritation. Without the fur, they can have bacteria on their skin so just watch her closely for itchiness. Chows are also known to be sensitive to sunlight when shaved so make sure she isn't in the sun for an extended period of time until she gets some more fur to protect her. There is a dog sunscreen on the market if you need it. Also make sure you get some flea and tick meds since there won't be anything to protect her from little creepy crawlies. That's about all I can think of until she gets her coat back!

Mandy
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Grooming

Post by Brisco »

I'm no expert, but I would suggest starting the brushing routine as soon as possible. Since she was so badly matted I would imagine that she is not use to being brushed much, if at all. I started mine on day two, just going through the motions, not actually putting any pressure or anything just getting them use to staying put and having the brush used, Basically just petting them with them brush. Other than brushing, keep the ears clean and don't let the toe nails get to long to were they tip or get pushed sideways when they stand. Also when you bathe them be SURE to get all of the soap rinsed out. Usually when I'm finished, I rinse again just to make sure, otherwise the soap dries and makes them itch. I'm sure you will get other ideas and input so I'll stop there. I hope you enjoy your new Chow Constance. :)
No matter where you go, there you are.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I agree with Mandy and Matthew and this is the ideal opportunity to get her used to being groomed.
Chows love having their shoulders massaged, well Milly and Mabel do - so Constance will love the attention you give her - she chose you didn't she. So as Matthew said, get a nice brush and as her fur grows in, brush her and I bet she will love it so that by the time she has a full coat again she will be used to the procedure. Get a comb too and as soon as there is a bit of fur to comb, comb it.
Good Luck. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Babs64 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will try gently running a comb through her fuzz to just help dislodge any dust or dirt. Like you say hopefully this will help her get her use to me touching and grooming her. It will also help me checking for any nasty bugs.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Babs64 wrote: "I want to make sure I keep her coat healthy. Any advice would be appreciated."

---

Firstly, Congratulations and best wishes to you both!

Nutrition is very important in keeping the skin and coat healthy too. Protein levels affect hormones, and hormones play a large role in skin and coat health. Chows are prone to allergic dermatitis from certain grains like corn or wheat. Essential fatty acids such as the omega 3's play an important role in skin and coat health too.

There are many nutritional factors involved in nourishing skin and growing a healthy abundant coat, and a healthy coat is easier to take care of.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

I don't know what kind of brush you are going to buy for Constance, but I too would suggest starting to brush her now. Or at least the brushing motions, using the back (smooth part) of the brush. Just to let Constance get used to the brushing motions. Who knows why her beautiful red coat was in the mess it was in, but if it was because she wasn't ever brushed it's better to start getting her used to it now, as opposed to when her thick coat comes back in and brushing takes alot longer. I love brush time with Koda. It's our play and love time too. I also agree that nutrition will play a big part in her coat and skin. The proper protein and copper levels will make for healthy skin and beautiful coat. Babs... thank you for allowing this baby to come into your heart and life. Even in the best of circumstances and most positive chow, being owned by a chow is not the always the easiest thing in the world. You have seen it posted here numerous times, chows are not dogs. And it is true. Sure they have to eat and go outside and need human affection like other breeds, but in almost every other area, it's a whole different ball game with a chow. You have to show you are alpha, but in alot of ways it is true when you see it posted here, that we are all owned by our chows... and that's what makes the difference between chows and dogs. But then when you have less than perfect circumstances like me with Koda being terrified of people, Jeff with head strong Pekoe, and all here who have adopted their rescue chows, it takes lot of work, understanding and love. But you will not regret being picked by Constance. I doubt there is anyone on this board who will not tell you how rewarding it is to be owned by a chow. All of us here may not always agree on everything, but I am sure we agree on that and we will all be here to help and support you as you and Constance begin your life together. I am so excited for you. Hugs from me and purple kisses from Koda. Welcome to the family!!!!

kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Congratulations - I thought you bring Constance home forever. I agree with the others about grooming (or at least go through the motions) now. Aside from getting her use to being groomed, it's a special time for the two of you to bond.
Can't wait for more pictures! :D

Karen
Babs64
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Babs64 »

Constance is very tolarant when I brush her. She laid right down and let me use the brush and the comb. She also grooms her front paws and face just like a cat! I watched her lick her paws and the sides for her front legs and then rub her face with the moistened fur.
Elaina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Elaina »

Congratulations!! I kinda knew you would be bringing Constance home. She chose you! We are owned by three Chows. Yes, most times a rescued Chow will come with baggage... but everyone has baggage. Use your patience and compassion and you will help her become a great Chow Lady. Listen to her when she talks to you. I think you are going to have one great experience.... being owned by a Chow! :wink:

Chows are very catlike when they use the sides of their legs to clean their faces. Watching them do that is a hoot! :lol:
Peace and Blessings
Elaina, Max-A-Million, Mei-Mei, Mikko and our Queen...Mahayana
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I am glad you brought Constance home and it is lovely brushing them. Mabel also grooms her front paws - she does it all the time she is being brushed and combed as if she is helping. Milly does not bother, she goes to sleep. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)