White spots on lip???

Topics, guidelines and tips for coat and skin care and grooming Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Mika's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

White spots on lip???

Post by Mika's Mom »

Hello Everyone!

I was grooming our Mika and I got nice and close and noticed that on her bottom lip where the fur meets the lip skin (3/4 way to the back) there are these white things that almost remind me of tiny larvae (even thought they are not moving).

Any idea of what these could be? There are a cluster of them in the same location of each side of her mouth and the cluster is about 1/2" wide in length.

Any info would be great!

Thanks,
Sarah
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

What kind of water and food bowls are you using? Pekoe had that once all over her chin and lips, it was from the plastic water bowl.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Princess
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Princess »

Gabbana has that too... they are at the back of the lips, on the inside of her mouth, she's had them for quite some time now. When i first noticed them, I freaked out and took her to the vet, they said to monitor them closely if they increase they'll do a biopsy. They could also be warts, I guess dogs that play with other dogs are prone to them. So far there hasn't been as increase or decrease in size or change in color.. I was thinking it could maybe be from her bite (but that's my non medical theory) because they are at the same spots.
Gabbana has a stainless dish for her food and water...

If you're concerned i'd take her to the vet to see what they say, or just monitor them to be on the safe side. Sorry i haven't really been on here for a while, how old is Mika? Gabbana is about 1 1/2...

Olga
ImageImage
Mika's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mika's Mom »

Hello! Gabana is gorgeous! My Mika is a female and is 21 months old!! Almost the same age as yours...

I will monitor them...they look slightly gross and remind me of larvae (yuck) so I will monitor them! Thanks for the info!

Mika drinks out of stainless steel dishes however she chews a Nylabone...although, it really doesn't look like plastic....more squishy than that :)

Thanks! I will keep you posted if I hear anything or notice anything different :)
Sarah
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Millie had something a little like you are describing. THe vet said it was a wart & although not really harmful was containious to other dogs. As she was being sedated for her eyes at the time he froze it off. He explained it to be like a verucca (sp)
Thank you Elodie!